A Capable Maid - Ch. 18

Double-page supporter
Why are all the female leads in stories like this utter naive morons?

W-w-w-w-wait! WTF?! He was disguised as noble back then and now is greeted as king... For what particular reason should he stop pretending to be mere noble?!
Yet that furious prince... you still don't know that man unconsciously stole Marie's kiss...

@Audettey, @RamenRider Thank you guys for replying

That is what I get, what I mean is: When you're willing to marry a foreign princess for the sake of peace, why not marry beforehand and form an alliance. Why start war? And if he's a good ruler, there will be other ways to prevent a rebellion ... it's enough to just let her live in peace.

Dex-chan lover
@Fagato
He's a bloodthirsty tyrant. He didn't expect anyone to actually get away as he's very thorough about ensuring there's no living person with a claim to rule when he invades . I kinda suspect that he only wants peace because he doesn't want a civil war to get in the way of his invading other nations. He can easily execute her later and say it was an accident. Admittedly this last point applies to your alliance idea, but he wants ALL the nations to be his, not just one of the nations.

So of course his complete lack of redeeming qualities means he's perfect as a love interest in the future.

Dex-chan lover
@RamenRider Ehhh it's likely the Cloyant's Empire was responsible for the assassination by poison of the Prince's younger sister. And so he conquered it and killed all the Royal Family
It was also said that Morina used her money to help the poor.... So I estimate likely that the Cloyan Empire's royalty were also greedy bastards and reduced the population into poverty.

Never fear, this is a shoujo. The prince is surely not as bad as he seems :p

Dex-chan lover
@Nehona they could be poor in the first place, but after the war it became worse
@Fagato forming some sort of personal union is being made usually by necessity or by war.
Alliance if not always possible between the rivaling countries which most of the times see each other as the enemies.
Also is you want to please peasants, you will upset the nobles (which may antagonise you against the peasants later). If you want to please nobles, you may upset the peasants. It's not so easy to say 'if he's a good ruler he can do it' because if nobles are rotten then they exploit the peasants, if peasants are angry they go against nobles and royalty.
While it is easier to subdue the peasants uprising, you may lose more in tax reliefs for nobles. Without knowing the first hand state of a coutry it's difficult to tell what should be done.

Dex-chan lover
Oh man, now she's caught the attention of two handsome men who are real into murder. What's a girl to do?

Correct me if I'm wrong, (cause it's been some time I've read it) but in the novel, Johannes thought of kissing Marie only to confirm if she was the one who performed the CPR.

My brain thought monocles guy and mask guy were the same person c:

Double-page supporter
@Nehona I think they hinted that the Cloyan royals weren't exactly good people either. I don't know if they poisoned the Eastern princess (or why they'd do such a provocative thing against a far stronger neighbor), but we at least know from their treatment of Morina that they weren't all loving and kind. My guess is they were no better or worse than the Eastern crown prince or Western emperor.

Morina was, though. The thing that made her famous and beloved was her random acts of kindness. The prince wants to find her, then demand marriage or execution, but the reason he feels she's worth marrying is not only to put down any chance of Cloyan resistance, but because she's a "saint" and the only one he can trust to marry him. Because from the stories, he knows she's a sweetheart.

That being said, that's what he wants in theory. His heart though, wants Marie. One of the key panels was how they were mentioning the other women at the party, and they were faceless to him, but Marie stood out and looked so beautiful. Leading to his anger this chapter, because now the Western emperor is making moves on the sweet girl he likes. Ironic.

For what it's worth, Marie thinks the long haired general and (unmasked) crown prince are handsome, nice guys, and maybe even friends to an extent, but that's about it. She's afraid of Western emperor now - and of course remains terrified of masked crown prince. That's why she didn't register what he said to her at the end of the chapter.

Users who are viewing this thread