A Capable Maid - Ch. 45

...I wouldn't recommend sugar cane unless they're prepared to grow it as the only crop: it drains the earth of nutrients, needs a lot of space (since you need a LOT to make sugar), if you want to grow something else... I wish you luck trying to get rid of the roots since it's like a weed, you can't grow it in windy places because it will fall and, as far as I know, taking into account the time the story is developing, they only will able to cut it by hand which is a bit of a high-risk job since the leaves are pretty sharp... They can burn the fields to get rid of the leaves (never understood how they controlled the fire so it didn't consume even the cane) but then the risks of a fire breaking out in near towns will be higher...

Why not beets? It won't be as sweet as sugar and being a root it will have its own troubles anyway, but at least it won't be so hard on the earth as growing sugar cane........ Sorry for the long essay about sugar cane 🤣🤣🤣

While I understand the past few times with Marie reporting to Rachel, this time Rachel has no reason to be the one to offer the idea to the emperor. It was said earlier in the chapter, the selection for the empress was postponed. This is a serious matter of national significance, and while it would be a good way to try and boost her merit, this isn't a matter that should be used as a stepping stone. So I'm a little annoyed with how Rachel is bringing up the deal now, but it isn't surprising in the least.

Aggregator gang
This arc is taking forever and readers are getting annnnnnnngry.

Major spoiler for people who want to be a little less angry:
Rachel's not in this to become the Crown Princess. She was sent by that shady King of the West (remember him several chapters ago when Marie helped him?) because he figured out that Marie is the missing Princess. Rachel's goal is to steal the Holy Grail, the empire's national treasure, from the central church.

Aaand now she abuses her authority, every girl other than our FL is a biatch apparently 😒

What kind of Europe is this girl from? lol. Sugar beets exist in Europe and are grown commercially, there are many other plants that can be used to harvest sugar in colder climates

My blood is boiling towards the girl. I can't wait until she was vanished or something

Okay, Rachel is starting to annoy the heck out of me. I get that they establish a sort of contract relationship, but going that far is a bit much, especially since it involves the entire empire. Impressing the Crown Prince with her "intellect" should be the least of her worries right now.

Dex-chan lover
Doesn’t really matter who tells him. He just spoke about this a few hours ago with the MC. He’ll know the idea is hers.

@Zuzzel

commercialized extraction of cane sugar came first. beet sugar refinement was discovered in the 15th century but never caught on because cane was already being' commercially' used at that time period. sugar beet production didn't take off until early 1800s during the napoleonic wars.

more happy coincidence for the author versus actual history because being from korea, asia's more familiar with cane sugar versus sugar beets. but cane sugar came from se asia to europe in trade routes. since it was already established there was no need for sugar beet production until very late 1700s when ironically the desire for sugar in the european populace grew and when the napoleonic wars were kicking up, there were blockades that prevented shipments from areas that grew cane sugar that forced europe to turn to beets for sugar production instead.

Dex-chan lover
@CarmillaKriegstein Your example is laughable. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_prince

A crown prince is the heir apparent to the throne in a royal or imperial monarchy. The female form of the title is crown princess, which may refer either to an heiress apparent or, especially in earlier times, to the wife of the person styled crown prince.

Specifically, this world has evidence of the princesses being able to take up the throne on their own if they were first in line for succession. That would mean crown princess is NOT the title for the wife of a crown prince.

In addition, we are in the 21st century, where the term means something specific, as in NOT what you said. If someone wants to refer to the antiquated usage of the term, then they would need to specify because we are not in the past.

Dex-chan lover
I hope Crown Prince puts a stop to this game of passing messages and just rejects both wife candidates.

Users who are viewing this thread