A Capable Maid - Ch. 46

Dex-chan lover
This is what bothers me about this story. The narrative is so hypocritical, and it seems like the author is totally oblivious.

Rachel Istvan:
• Offers to give Marie exactly what she wants.
• Takes credit for Marie's ideas. (She doesn't know how to handle the issue herself.)
• Is treated like a villain.

The Prince:
• Offers to give Marie unwanted favors and refuses to give her what she wants.
• Takes credit for Marie's ideas. (He doesn't know how to handle the issue either.)
• Is treated like a lead role model.

It's a really twisted worldview where the Prince can just take for granted everyone else's hard work, but if a woman tries to do the same thing (except treating her workers better) she gets ruined for it.

@icekatze
Omg I never noticed this line in the narrative. It makes me a little sad bc is true, but I still like a lot this webcomic.
By the way, I’m impressed with your ability for notice it.

Get married! Or don’t. Just become a couple of friends I don’t care....
I don’t like the competition for being a wife personally. And like if he doesn’t care then why does he get to choose. Flip a coin...

I really don't see rachel as the villain here. She and marie made an agreement that benefited them both. They both mutually agreed to this way of doing things. Call rachel a villain because she's following the details laid out is plain ignorant.

oooo do u think that old guy marie prayed with in the beginning of the story was this hildegarde dude? it seems like a possibility...

Dex-chan lover
@Aralc. I see the same thing. Instead of a setback being da-da-daaaa, it's more like "I messed up. Let's not do that again.". I don't find that the story lacks conflict or villainy. It's that the story is centered on a person who is removed from the conflict (she lives as a maid in a castle not a battlefield) and the villainy is the petty baseness of humankind.

@meijune no that guy was literally God in a human's body, I suggest you read it again. He says something like, what if God could grant you one wish? And after that they pray together. She was the only one to comfort him in his last moments because she is kind.

Thank you for the update!!❤️❤️❤️
I’m just glad that Rachel is finally exposed by the Prince in this chapter!! 😌

Aggregator gang
@icekatze A lot of this issue comes from the fact that one: she's a woman(gotta remember the time zone of the story); and two: even if she is a favored maid, she is still nothing but a lowly maid. If people hear that she's been advising the emperor when they know nothing about her (especially her origins! Some people legit thought she might be a spy, and probably still do) then there'll be a huge amount of discontent. With that said, she has done a lot to help the empire thus far. My hope is that he will try to marry her, people will get upset, and then at that moment he will reveal the truth with proof about everything she has done for the sake of the empire and it's people as a way to prove why she is worthy to stand next to him on the throne.

Also, regarding her being a woman and Rachel being a woman, Rachel is a known noble daughter who is a candidate for the empress's seat so of course the empress should be knowledgeable and capable in order to assist the emperor. There is a huge difference in Marie's status as an unknown maid and Rachel's nobility status as empress candidate.

And lastly, he doesn't know what she wants iirc. I don't think she has explicitly expressed her desire to leave the empire(but I could be wrong), so Rachel intending to give her what she wants is literally just luck on her part. As for the emperor, those favors he's been trying to give her is his way of repaying her for everything she has done as well as his intent to keep her close, both because of her capabilities and, as is evident in this chapter, his not-so-obvious romantic attraction to her.

This series is not perfect, but there is reason for many of the "whys" and "hows." Notice how I said "many" not "most." There are still quite a lot of plot holes that need to be filled.

Edit: Btw, everything the emperor has done has been with good intent, while Rachel's intent has been more malicious. Not overtly so, but her intent to send Marie away was not as a favor, but as a way to get rid of her, even if Marie would gladly take it as a favor regardless. There's a reason why she is being regarded as a villain.

Double-page supporter
This is like that one moment in my programming class where my prof roasted some guy that copied his code and cannot explain it completely

Group Leader
Can this arc end already? We know both of candidates ain't going to win. We know Marie is the end game here. What's the point of this arc?

Supporter
@dymarimar i bet that's the kind of guy you help with the condition of "changing it a little bit", but he just pastes it as is

Users who are viewing this thread