A Capable Maid - Ch. 50

I find it odd that she's forgiving him so easily. Didn't he kill her family? Who gives a damn if he cares about his peeps he killed and enslaved all of your country.

@DrPie He killed her “family”... you remember, the ones who kept her locked up and abused because she was an illegitimate child born from a commoner. She feared for her life when the Prince invaded, but it isn’t like those people actually treated her like family.

Also, the Prince explicitly went there to find her and make sure she made it out safely (though she still doesn’t know that), because he had heard of her reputation of helping the common people. He wanted to ensure she didn’t die, and hoped to marry her to bring stability to the kingdom.

There’s still a lot we don’t know about the Prince’s background and why he attacked the people he attacked, but it’s obvious that he’s not as bloodthirsty as his reputation suggests.

Dex-chan lover
This is still complete crap. Again, the country of the prince and Marie (whatever the name of this empire is) will be using intermediary merchants to trade with the pagan halidom. Why not just trade regular goods instead of sugarcane seeds? Why use seeds when you could skip it entirely? Why not just trade processed sugar? It would potentially be more profitable because then you turn the southwest region of the empire not only into a sugar growing region but also a sugar processing region. Avoid the hassle of this seed stuff.

Zero explanation. This is crap.

@DrPie First, she only considered her mother as her only family. Her father and siblings basically just dump her to the cold palace after her mother died and let the workers harassed and abused her.

Second, subjugation and wars are common at that time, not to mention the royals of Cloyan actually really corrupted and doesn't care about their people, which is why Cloyan people really love Princess Morina, the only sane and humane person from royal family. The prince actually liberated Cloyan from those monsters.

this lowkey reminded me of those azucarera crap in television, where everything revolves around everything but the sugarcane plantation. This arc does not add something to the story

So she will prepare some stalls with all kinds of sweets and the people will know the sugar’s happiness 😏

Sugarcane needs at least 10 months before it can be harvested, and this plan needed many years to show progress. To add to that, you needed crop rotation plan cuz the soil needs to regain the nutrients it lost - same logic why between croppings of rice, maize, tobacco some farmers plant legumes between cropping seasons that helps in soil fertility

@comeonnow0
the previous chapters already explained the reasoning. They can't trade for sugar directly because it's a forbidden item between their different religions- thats why they worked around it by asking for sugar cane seeds from the pagan halidom. It's good for them because they get seeds, create a new industry, and yes, turn southwest region into a sugar processing region. Marie's solution worked because most goods were forbidden to trade with, or had little monetary value compared to empire's side of the deal.
The intermediary merchants are so the country isn't held accountable for trading with them- they don't want to spread a message that they are in good relations with the other kingdom.

Hmmm I wonder if Marie is going to somehow bring tourists and their money in with pastries? Or maybe use pastries to get the commoners on the Prince's side.

"because sugar is the powder of happiness"

Me, a med student: *sob* yes and no

<Wake up from a dream>
What do you do?
1- Get up the bed and take a walk.
2- keep lying on the bed until you fall asleep again.

I wonder how they're going to convince the commoners about sugar and sugarcanes? During this era, sugar is still really expensive making it a luxury good for nobles (tbf sugar and spices are still pricey nowadays). Of course, because of this, pastries are also a privilege for the nobles... So even if they let commoners taste pastries to convince them, it is not something they can openly access due to its price.

am I not imaginative enough to see the correlation of her dream with solving their current dilemma?

Users who are viewing this thread