A Certain Middle-Aged Man's VRMMO Activity Log

@Fistrom Hello, robotic master Yoda here. Took it up after it had been dropped. English is not my mother tounue and it used to be a quick-and-dirty draft thing at first, but now I'm trying to check and correct it afterward. You can basically correct the roboticness and Yoda-ish-ness of it by commenting on the chapters on my site(you can find the link in my profile). As I'm doing translations only, they come out more quickly on my site, than scanlations do here, so there is room for correction. I post "notifications" when the new chapter's out on reddit, in the manga subreddit.

Chapter 51 is ready(translation-only). You can read it on my site(the link's in my profile). And I'm very-very sorry for the delay.

@kyself It really was. Then it kind of became depressing to read and I can't get into the new arc in the 30s chapters. It feels like bleach's super awkward filler arcs or something.

The comments on 32/31 put it best, regarding how the author pretty much dropped the ball.

Double-page supporter
This is enjoyable for the characters and not the story itself.
All RPG common-sense is defied by the protagonist being the "world's first" in most fields.
Let's not be delusional, we are in an era where people will spend months trying to break a game and find glitches to speedrun something 1-2 seconds faster. There's no way the protagonist was the only one to try and develop skills beyond the basic. And then we get to the NPCs interacting with him as if they were humans, but not doing the same for other players. Those two things alone killed the entire manga for me.

Serkket...
i think ur missing the point this is more towards casual slice of life pace, theres alot of series that are great for it, besides the infrequent releases, the only bad part is like alot of ln/wn manga is leaving out a great deal of the story and details that piece together more of the narrative, while art wise is so so its still a good story, just wish the release were more, at least theirs not the awful mix ups of he/she refrences of characters that happen alot and just add confusion

@Serkket if the story has nothing special or not ordinary then it would be boring. The mc stands out without being too silly or op is what makes the manga successful

Do NOT read this, the MC is a incel Plot device MACHINE. Around chapter 20-30 this starts to turn into a harem, except it doesnt because the MC doesnt give a fuck about anybody and just fucks off for every plot advancement the author wants to make.

Seriously dont read this.

Honestly, I don't think this series is that bad as for the previous claim that this series is a harem. As the series doesn't really care about that plot, really. If you read further into the series, you'll see he doesn't really care that much about his relations with the other sex. The series does live up to it being a slice of life and honestly I binged up to fifty chapters in one sitting, it was refreshing having a person that actually has self awareness and understand his actions do impact his surroundings. Better than being a xxKIRITO isekai OP level 9999 Waiful0rd because that'll usually make the series incredibly stale fast. (Though honestly it's my guilty pleasure reading them since you don't have to think as much) Though honestly that aside... He is pretty OP but he actually just tries to enjoy the game.

@jjpark 1904 i mean he atleast know how strong he is what he can do and can not what will have consequence and what will not i like that part of mc

From reading the first few chapers there's so much in this that makes no sense and would never happen in a real MMO. Like how somehow everyone knows the meta day one or all the craftsman being saints and not selling their recipes to not ruin other people's progression. Also the price of anything crafted should have skyrocketed because of demand and MC is basically being a retard wasting his time crafting and selling it cheap all the while complaining about how much work it takes.

Overall the series is a meh at least in the beginning, couldn't bother to read the rest.

Dex-chan lover
This manga is about a guy that gets out of work everyday straight to work inside a game everyday.... For almost nothing.
What an idiot.

Double-page supporter
I think my big issue with this manga is how little sense it makes inside its own world and how nothing really meshes well together to make a cohesive product. Like, you have hyper intelligent AI that are basically humanlike, but apparently nobody else has these interactions. It's a day one mmorpg but apparently everyone already the meta. It's an mmorpg with tons of users, but the creators obviously have a bias and there is so much stuff and opportunities given to a select group of players that I'm pretty sure a lot of new players in this universe would feel dejected. My man has a 9-5 job and doesn't particularly care about the game too much but is still one of the top tier players. Nobody else but him can seem to figure out these secret techniques or how to be a kind person?

It's weirdly fixed by just pretending it is an isekai, because at least the rules would make a little more sense. It has so much potential and I'm sure the creator could do it well, but it is trying to do so much that it just feels like you're reading 4 different manga.

@icantnotthink I agree for some of your points, except for the game meta. Most games companies have beta versions for games that let hundreds, almost a thousand players to check for bugs and balance issues that goes for months. There is even some games that have permanent beta servers in Asia for update checking, so having an established meta isn't really rare.

About NPC interaction, aside from needing a reason to make Earth special, you can chalk it up as this being just another VRMMO and normal NPC interaction being already know. Just this new chapter (c54) some of Earth friends talks about the rumor of [the people of this world possess a will of they own] (what a weird translation btw).

I agree that this novel feels like 4 with production, fighting, npc and players interaction being "main" points and the distance apart from each other. The author should have make a better way to mash them together, I don't remember the name of any player and just few NPCs at this point.

Dex-chan lover
just binged it. Nothing too wrong with it but I can see why people wouldn't like it, very slice of life oriented. I personally find it kinda enjoyable following this dude on his adventures and leveling up, that's the true appeal to these types of series in the first place. Ofc, certain aspects come off as dumb within the game system and the plot progression does feel too MC oriented in that everything only really works out for him, such as gaining OP gear or consistently meeting OP people just because he's in the right place at the right time. But it is still balanced by the fact so much of his panel time is made up of him taking his time experimenting and working on his own skills to get stronger. You get that feeling of 'yeh, he worked to get where he is' even though half of it is by plot devices that favor him heavily.

edit: wait, this is a korean series?

Dex-chan lover
It happens too much with webnovels set on MMOs that aren't comedy. Even if the author is writing a slice of life, they tend give an edge to the MC sooner or later to make things more interesting, resulting in completely broken game balance. See SAO, The New Gate, Legendary Moonlight Sculptor (korean) and plenty of other webnovels. Unless it is a comedy, novels with total schmuks as protagonists aren't usually popular.

Plus, these people aren't usually professional writers. They're amateurs who manage to get popular in a website where anybody can write. Also, instead of taking their time to write, most sites pay by chapter and/or require writers to publish weekly, resulting on plenty of redundant writing to pad chapters.

So enjoy for what it is, just don't expect too much.

Users who are viewing this thread