A Certain Middle-Aged Man's VRMMO Activity Log

Well, I just read the first few chapters. From the first chapter, the entire basis for the whole story is bullshit. MC picks 6 skills which are useless? Which then turn out not to be useless because... obviously these skills aren't useless? No game would make an apothecary/crafting mechanic if it isn't miles ahead of NPC consumables.

What a retarded little story. Still enjoyable, I guess? But it's not even close to good.

Double-page supporter
@lleris
I think this also explains another issue I have with this manga, at least at the start. Earth feels just so... weird as a protagonist. This game has been in beta and people know the meta. But some of the skills are considered useless until one guy makes a single food item or crafts a single potion. Like, it isnt what I would call bad but just so much stuff is weird and doesn't really live up to the potential it could have. The characters are nice and the art is good, but god damn I just can't get into the story and Earth is just magically unlikable by how good and amazing for doing simple things that other people should have been able to do as well.

Dex-chan lover
@icantnotthink
it's not that they couldn't do it, they just didn't bother because 'it's a game, just do it the way you would in any other game'

Double-page supporter
@icantnotthink @nobaka ya no shit. I'm honestly waiting- and I kid you not- to moment when Earth magically "develops" way to plant trees and it gets oh-so-obvious to everyone in the span of days. Just you wait and by looking at more and more frequent interruptions about deforsted zones it is going to occur fast 😀It's just going to be another of this "MC- the savior of the universe" moments

Double-page supporter
@nobaka
But everybody acts like WOAH EARTH YOURE SO SMART TO USE POTION MAKING TO MAKE POTIONS WOAH when, like, you are telling me that Earth was the only person out of hundreds or thousands to make a potion.
@mongol13
I feel like the reason Earth feels like a meh protag is he never feels like he earns anything. He isn't an isekai protag who has knowledge from another world. He doesn't have a cheat skill that let's him do things others can't. He isn't a nerd who spends days in the game to practice and learn tricks. He isn't even just a smart guy who uses specific skill combinations to find additional abilities. Earth just does things that literally anybody else in the game should be able to do, is a nice person, and everybody goes WOAH EARTH YOURE SO SMART AND COOL AND NICE and then the creators of the game give him things.

Dex-chan lover
@icantnotthink
nah mang. everything on the wiki said 'its shit lol dont bother'

so they didn't. That's why as soon as someone shows that it DOES work, they start doing it immediately. like the thing with the bow guild after the fairy tournament. and tbf he's pretty cool and nice, and it's pretty clear by this point that it's not just 'a game' and the individuals in question want to support him.

it's also basic positive reinforcement. he's nice, plays well with others, and innovates. devs reward this behavior to encourage more of it.

@mongol13
right? some of this shit should be going on by itself at this point, now that the npcs are essentially sentient.
also why is he not enticed by any of these girls

Speaking of tags why doesn’t this one have the virtual reality tag it’s already on mangadex

Dex-chan lover
@nobaka wiki is shit then, so do this manga/novel
Everyone and their mother know that in PvP, stunlock/juggling/staggering opponents is way more important than damage, and versatility is better than pure power. Strong skills are for PvE, not PvP.
Yet the top PvP users are all "pure" build. What the fuck?
You think in this game where there are millions of things to choose from and no limitation, there should be some meme/troll/unorthodox builds, but no, they don't exist.
You know what I'll do for PvP when playing this game? I'll take only skills that either
1. let me get into opponent's back
2. stun
3. has fancy visual effects to blind opponent
These obviously doesn't matter the least bit to raid bosses, but pretty effective on humans.

How much freedom do they have in crafting things? Because right now I'm thinking of the possibility that there's some absolute madlad with gun knowledge and a degree in mechanical engineering secretly making a tank somewhere.

Love this series. And quite a surprised when i found a mobile game based on this series, its just a budget game but its pretty well made. I never though that this series is quite popular in japan

Dex-chan lover
Dropped it long ago. It went boring and pretty tiring to read after a while. Everything went the way the mc think would go. That's too easy.. need a tension and a bit conflict that is hard to mc that he needs to struggle a bit. Maybe someone can show me an interesting part on the later chapter? I love this creative crafter idea. But, the truth that he is the only one creative in crafting is a disappointment. If i am the mc, i'd dropped the game because it went boring (there is nobody to compete to)

thanks, love this series, shame it was removed from syosetu and put up on alphapolis, at leasts that explains why it isnt being translated anymore

Double-page supporter
I quite like this manga but the self-cucking trope can go die in a fire. If the mangaka doesn't want to write about romance, how about not having female characters trying to get it on with the MC?

Unless the fairy queen is a complete masochist I don't understand why she's in any way interested in the MC when all he does is
beat her for comedic effect and hasn't really done anything to appeal to her (other than his fairy whisperer title and murdering her in a duel).
Same goes for
the dragon princess, it's as if she's only interested in him because the fairy queen is but just like her they've barely had any positive interactions.
A lot of manga just come up with some cheap and shallow reason for why someone is interested in the MC but here I feel we're not even given that. I'm actually clueless as to why they care about him other than maybe his cooking.

I'm on chapter 23 as of writing this.
EDIT: Chapter 31 and the self-cucking reaches new heights. Putting this manga on hold for now, MC is just so inconsistent that he starts to lack any sort of personality.

I hate reading video game stories that seem to have been written by people who never played a video game. It's like CSI and the ENHANCE meme, or the two people using a keyboard together to "hack" better in NCIS. It's blatant bullshit that no one would actually believe. But those are mainstream tv series. This is a manga that the author chose to make about a video game. That's pretty niche, you'd think that means the author has some insight and experience with games but apparently nope.

I've made it through 8 chapters and it's just becoming so tedious and all over the place. Why does it have a high rating?

Users who are viewing this thread