A Royal Princess with Black Hair

So this manhwa currently being translated by the official in my language country, it still 5 chapters out and I'm curious so I tried to read there. Surprisingly this manhwa so good, the coloring so beautiful, the characters also interesting. Can't wait for the next updates, thankyou for scans group for pick this manhwa (。・ω・。)ノ♡

@SapphireSwan
This 👏👏👏 You articulated it so well.

I dropped this a while ago around 10 chapters in and am surprised this is as popular as it is. Admittedly, i may not have given it a fighting chance.

My thoughts:
Even the posing of the characters in the cover pic looks awkward and stiff, and the cover pic is supposed to be the best art. Her upper right arm seems too short. It just looks off. In a lot of panels, something about their eyes looks kind of dead and flat - doesn’t help that FL’s eyes are black lmfao. The coloring is decent but idk I find the dresses that she wears pretty ugly and not flattering given she’s supposed to turn every guy’s head and evoke the blushies ////uwu\\\\ when she walks by.

Ch 7 made me cringe so hard. FL is so beAutiFul bUt dAngeRous and BaDaSs she brings heels to a knife fight! [im rolling my eyes so hard I can see my brain] The attempted juxtaposition—for ex, flowers behind her as she gets ready to beat someone up—isn’t a unique concept nor is it executed well. Its just all so surface level. I am a HUGE sucker for badass female leads and my standards just got 10ft higher. If yall want some recommendations, hmu cuz this aint it.

Didn’t mean to write a whole ass essay on this sorry ppl loool i may have gotten carried away 😅

Fuck me, if you don't like something its fine to just say you don't like it. You don't have to try and dress up your opinion in some kind of "objective critique" drag.

@Uthred exactly lmfaooo i mean sure constructive criticism is key for growth but that whole essay down there doesn't seem to be constructive at all 😐 it's more of picking on little things to bring down the author/artist instead of leaving tips on how to make the art "better." in my own opinion, i feel like the art is stunning and the characters have a chemistry i really haven't seen in manhwas.

@amyhcynh @Uthred

Neither of you have pointed out specifically what you disagree with - I’m open to discuss it! Civil discourse is great. Comment sections would be boring if they were filled with only positive comments. That's one of the main reasons I prefer Mangadex over the Line Webtoon comment section. It's just r/awardspeechedits over there and all the cool and thoughtful opinions are buried.

The author and artist probably won’t see my feedback but I agree I was unnecessarily mean about it, so here is a more constructive and objective version of what I commented before. In my previous comment I feel I was actually quite specific about what could make the art better.

I put it in a spoiler tag so you don't have to read it if you don't want to. I'll continue doing that from now on when I post critiques as not to offend anyone.

First off, what kind of standards am I talking about here? The whole package deal, plot + art - Who Made Me A Princess, The Reason Why Raeliana Ended up at the Duke's, Stepmother's Marchen, Death Is the Only Ending for the Villainess.

ART
- The art looks stiff sometimes - certain hand positions, like crossing the arms. Certain postures, like there's this one full body shot of the ML standing which makes him look rigid. Certain facial expressions, certain angles.
- The eyes can look flat. It could be that I’m used to more sparkle in the eye. I think the emptiness of FMC’s eyes is emphasized by their large size and them being really dark.
- FMC is pale, but she's drawn in a lot of dark outfits. I think she should be given a softer color scheme that complements her skin tone more. I haven't read many chapters so it's possible I'm looking at a skewed sample.
- The coloring itself is great - the shadows, the sparkles.

This is by no means bad art. It's amazing, far better than a lot of webtoons I like. That being said, this one didn't make me fall in love with the characters in the same way. If I liked the plot more, I wouldn't be commenting on the art at all.

PLOT/WRITING
What makes the plot special? These days people are pumping out isekai princess/villainess webtoons and mangas left and right. [Disclaimer: I eat that shit up. I won't claim to have good taste because I don't lol] But what makes this one unique? She wants to divorce the male lead. She has black hair. She speaks freely, she doesn't match her elegant image, she's bold and brash.

These are all pretty basic concepts we've seen before:
- she wants a divorce but she falls in love with the ML and changes her mind - revenge wedding
- she has black hair - the tyrant’s first love
- she speaks freely - off the top of my head, beware of the villainess
- she doesn’t match her elegant image - may I please ask you just one last thing. The recent chapter is an example of great juxtaposition, when
she’s spinning around cutely and having a good ass time but this bad guy is hanging onto her for dear life

You and I both know there’s WAY more I could’ve listed. Not saying how much I like the above stories, just saying that the concepts aren’t unique.

What else is there in this story that would make you remember it? Everything in the plot drives the narrative that she's flawless and better than everyone else. The plot puts her on a pedestal. The plot serves her. That's textbook Mary Sue. What's the wrench in the whole plan that the author will throw to turn her world upside down and make us cheer for her? Why should we like her in the first place?

We already know what's going to happen: the male lead will fall in love with her, so what's going to make you remember this particular romance years down the line? I don't think it's so well-written that it can stick out with such a basic premise. I’ve definitely seen chemistry that I think is as good or better in other manhwas.

Furthermore, is there a character who isn't the FL/ML who you love? Whose removal from the story would be detrimental? Those are all things that are important to me when I read a story.

If you can refute some of the points I've listed, I'm all ears! Hell, I'd give it another chance because I dropped it so early on.

Like I said, I don't have good taste - I just read what's fun to me. But since you've so kindly asked, I tried to figure out the specific things I don't like.

THE END 🤡 whew what a ride

Sorry Uthred, my first essay annoyed the shit out of you and I just did it again. But hey, it's fine to just say you don't like it. You don't have to read my opinions~~

I just started and caught up and I enjoyed this quite a lot! Very lighthearted, a slice of drama, funny... great stuff. I love the compatibility of the main characters. Also the story behind the rings.. so sad. I love how the princess is not a pushover. Snarky, smart, confident, good at reading people, all great traits. This is what I like to see! 👌

@firelordzuzu
Thanks for the reply!!! I agree 100000000% with everything in your reply, and you’re right; it’s shocking to see how high the rating for this manhwa is 😞.
Like you said, this manhwa is remarkably “surface-level,” to the point where even the “clever” dialogue sounds flat, sloppy, and poorly-thought out. This reads like a comedy manhwa whose jokes don’t land.

I think one of the greatest weaknesses of this manga are its villains. Good villains bring out the best in a character. Great villains bring out the worst. This manhwa has neither: none of the villains have actual motives or humanity, and are cardboard cutouts of characters that are basically Swiper the fox from Dora the Explorer. It’s so caught up in the MC and ML “destroying” the villains “effortlessly” that by this point that’s all there is to it.

It’s hard to root for such one-dimensional main characters, rendered such by bland situations, bad writing, unfunny jokes, and not-even-HORRIBLY-written-but-literally-just-NOT-written villains.

It’s a shame though, since the art has potential, if the artist learned anatomy and how to use a line of action when drawing poses.

i mean why would the art be such a big deal everyone has different styles in drawing and stuffs !! just my opinion though

anyways . i loved this manhwa and i read it in marathon for a day (or so) but the more i read it the more i feel kind of ,, upset? with fl coz she just doesn't care abt anything at all :( it's not like i love crybabies or weak fl but she's just kinda ,, too much? like her badass-ness (is that even a word) felt kinda forced . it's a shame . she always ruined the mood and she always does it so its so predictable that i gave up for any fluffy scenes . .

THE STORY BEHIND THE RING THOUGH I WAS CRYING i wish i can read more story of the passed queen and the mage :(

I understand the appeal here is supposed to be the "sassy" FL, but it just comes off as rude and flat. It doesn't make her dynamic or a believable character. It's like the author just gave her rude lines to pass off as witty. The art is alright, but the lack of a nose makes it weird for me. Had to drop it because it got pretty boring quick.

Agree with Marikonen. She's just beong rude. She's a princess. How can she behave like this... It feels so forced.

Contributor
I corrected the description in English and in Spanish because they aren't married yet. They are just betrothed.

Dex-chan lover
it's nonsense plot, but it tickles my fancy. it's all superficial and burns the braincells if you try to think of it logically, but it really does scratch an itch

Fed-Kun's army
36 chapters in and it still feels like the plot hasn't moved forward at all.

@marikonen
I agree that the art is just so-so. Not my favorite style for sure. But I'm confused that you said the characters don't have noses. I see noses on everyone... 🤔

@brooklynn Artist is inconsistent on the nose. They draw the nose fully when characters are visible from waist up. But when up close they only draw the bridge and the shadow or highlight at the side to suggest at a nose. Of course, during side view the nose is fully drawn, but otherwise they seem to prefer just suggesting the nose's existence.

It's a little thing, but it makes it difficult for me to immerse myself in the story because it's all I can see.

Just writing this to remind myself why I don't read this story when I rediscover it in the future. The story asks for the audience to treat court politics seriously; meanwhile the engaged prince and princess interact like its a light hearted/ gag story. The princess outright taunts her fiance, the prince, who is the next military leader of a potential ally or enemy to her parent's kingdom. These interactions add insult to injury because the only motivation is to get some "yass queen slay" moments. Everytime I read it I think of how much better "The Queen of Attolia" is.

This is honestly a very frustrating read. It feels like it's full of redundant sub-plots which does little to move the story forward. Dropping it for now and may consider coming back if it gets better.

Users who are viewing this thread