A Workplace Where You Can't Help But Smile - Vol. 1 Ch. 7

Dex-chan lover
I do not mind the typesetting trick, I didn't notice until you pointed out, is not really obstructive... Beside is still free stuff we get to enjoy with nice translation! XP

As for the chapter... Really? Kaede in a very short cheerleader costume and that wasn't enough for you, sensei?! HOW DARE YOU!!! xD of course, an onee san praising you is also great but come on! don't let her sacrifice be in vain

Group Leader
@dalmedya Using hyphens feels kinda bad, and since Japanese is written up and down vs english which is left and right, there's just a lot more vertical space

thank you for the translation!
and whatever makes it easier for you! I don't think its a big deal and I'm grateful anyway.

Dex-chan lover
@SomewhatOkay Thank you for the translation. The text extending outside the speech bubble is indeed a handy tool to use. But if I may suggest something, instead of whiting out the background of the text manually(it looks like?), it would look cleaner and be easier to create a white outline around the text.

If you're using photoshop:
you type out your text layer > click the small fx button at the bottom of the bar > Stroke... > Set size for 3-4 px > Color: White > OK
--And there should be a white outline for your text, making it more visible regardless of whatever background it's set on or borders/lines it crosses. Also useful for setting text anywhere that isn't a speech bubble or plain surface, and the big shouts that explode outside speech bubbles.

I hope that was helpful. Look forward to more of your work.

ED: Found the page I learned this from. The "series" is a good brief lesson in typesetting in general.
https://mangadex.org/chapter/761001/1

Thank you translator! I didn't even notice anything different and everything was very easy to read.

Supporter
Definately Yay, Thank you so much for all your hard work. I really love this series and appreciate what you do

Group Leader
@SomewhatOkay
I know I'm late, but that's gotta be a Nay from me. I think the goal of typesetting should be to cover as little of the original art as possible and there's no reason to be afraid of hyphens or playing with the font size. There are situations where that's not possible, but I think none of the places where you used it in this chapter were those cases. Especially that example on the last page could have easily been transformed into one word per line and you wouldn't have had to white out anything.

Fitting horizontal text into speech bubbles meant for vertical text is no new problem and I think extending the text outside of the bubble when the original didn't should be a last-ditch effort only if every alternative looks horrible. Photoshop's default hyphenation is usually not great, so you end up having to adjust it almost always manually, but hyphens are part of the language for a good reason. You can also vary the width of a text layer by a few percent without it being noticeable, or sometimes just the width of the spaces between words if the font you're using has particularly large spaces. Basically, you can figure out what kind of typesetting bothers you when you read other series and try to avoid those practices. If you really prefer outlines over hyphens, then by all means keep doing it, but it does bother me.

Still, thank you very much for picking up this series. It's adorable and Ha-chan is best girl.

Users who are viewing this thread