Act-Age

Contributor
This series actually towards seinen readers, Luckily with decline bithrate in japan. WJS readers average rate age now is 15.28

Power Uploader
There's always a bad feeling with a Jump manga that isn't either traditional shounen or gag comedy shounen. They tend to be brutally axed rather quickly by the lowest common denominator pond slime, i.e. Jump's 12 years old boys readership.

Well, there are always exceptions. The Promised Neverland is slowly becoming a juggernaut, Dr. Stone kinda counts too (though it is pretty "gag comedy"), and Act-age is starting to perform pretty well in the rankings.

Anyway, I've read all the raw chapters (24) and my god this series only gets better with the Death Island arc. Too bad the scanlations are so far behind…

What can I say is..
The age factor is important, but it doesn't significantly affect everything. There are many types of shounen out there, it doesn't really matter if it has a semi-seinen vibes. I have read Aozakura, Daiku no Hatou, they more tend to seinen-slice of life but it is not heavy. The most important is the story given, whether it is entertaining or not, whether it can pique someone's interest or not. Then added other spices such as fanservice or whatever (depending on conditions).

In addition to age-related issues, I think there's another reason why so many new series are easily brutally axed like you say. I observed and can conclude that Weekly Shounen Jump really prioritizes the series that gained high popularity, there is an advantage in sales. Don't forget to take into account that they are (one of) the best selling magazine from the past until now. They have to do that, so that's the reason why ranking is everything.

I wouldn't be surprised if WSJ sales decline by 2017 (if you read the article). I don't know what kind of direction the editor gives to the author, but I think almost the series are so-so. The time of glory is lost. We can count some successful series (Dr. Stone, Haikyuu, Shokugeki no Souma, etc). But they don't allow room for the new series to flourish, if the opportunity is lost, it will soon enter the series list that must be stopped in the next meeting.

Their management is kinda though, but only in the surface.

My top shounen magazine :
1. Weekly Shounen Sunday. I prefer Shounen Sunday which is more fun, light and interesting. Lots of variety too. Such as :
Detective Conan, Be Blues, Komi, Evans, Marry Grave, Shinobi no, Maiko-san, Aozakura Bouei, Tonikaku Kawaii, Maoujou de Oyasumi, Major, Saike, Zettai Karen, Yuugami-kun, Youkai Giga, Tantei Xeno, Daiku no Hatou, Birdmen, Gin no Saji, Ariadne, Arata.
They aren't big series, but have a good theme and quite solid.
2. Weekly Shounen Magazine.
3. Monthly Jump SQ.
I don't really favor WSJ anymore, but still follow them.

--------
I haven't read Act-age since chapter 3 to see how good or bad the response is. I'm disappointed where Bozebeats , Harapeko no Marie, and Robot x Laserbeam go.
For those who read the raw, you can spoil me as much as you want.

Double-page supporter
Nice batch, thanks!

Also, thanks for the info, everyone. From the sounds of it, the manga survived the early axe hurdle and now has time to build momentum, which is great. It's only getting better from here.

@goronyanpai I totally get Jump's business model, though I feel that its survival of the fittest approach runs counter to market trends worldwide. This is the age of specialization, of Netflix and Spotify, and Japan isn't immune to it either with the proliferation of online imprints and mobile-only comics. The next One Piece will not be able to achieve the same dominance.

As for favorite magazines, I always have a soft spot for Square Enix' Gangan imprints for their eclectic combination of androgynous cuteness, traditional shonen action, and more "out-there" pieces. Viva Final Fantasy.

Dex-chan lover
Damn dude a shitload of chapters! Is it Christmas already? Thank you scanlators!

VIP
@goronyanpai funny when you put sunday over wsj. at very least, wsj is very transparence with their models, so mangaka know what they expect. sunday is much more reckless. in 2014-2015, they axed lot of series simply because it's ther 50 anniversary and they need "new face". even to this days, most recent is keijoo ruckus when author literaly has to facing it fans, throwing some tantrum and then still cover for it publisher failures. last time this happened with WSJ is shaman king, which is shueisha still give lot of freedom to mangaka, given some continuation attemp chance to see if the magazine reader still interested, even to move the publisher if he dissatisfied (which he does, but look like he also unsuccesful in different magazine). WSM even get more absurd at times becuase their editor is way more demanding than wsj. at least in wsj, you can change the editor at your will.

also concerning about sales decrease, it's happened everywhere for phisycal magazine sales, in fact, wsj is one of the better shape because the decline is still managable and they already prepered with alternative. they already launch digital shounen jump+ way back in 2013 and it's already popular. ironicaly, worse decrease happened with SS and WSM.

WSJ will still the most popular magazine out there and there will be still long time until it fall, as long they still consitent with their models. but tehn again, main concern of wsj is always readers and it surveys, and it will be always that ways. it'snot broken and not need to be fixed. as long act-age can get plac ein WSJ readers then get good surveys rankings, it will survive. and new series do come and go.

@kuma
I wonder what's wrong with that?
About which magazines are the best, it is clear that such statements are subjective. You can’t trust because everything will have an outside effect: each one's taste. Or if looking from the objective side, should I put WSJ to be the number one because, the model is transparent? Or because they are the best-selling magazines and have lots of fans?

I don’t agree if their model is transparent. It's easy to know their characteristics. For a small example they have a tradition with "shounen classics", this is what you say if they have a shape. They can sometimes bring up new ideas, good in the beginning but unfortunately, the development is bad at the end. Inconsistent. The rest, some even don’t know where to go, there is also a miracle for Kimetsu no Yaiba (which I thought it would be axed because always in the lowest rank) until now can survive. The process is slow, like World Trigger, but it is slowly climbing (which I conclude that only half of the series has made it through the crisis phase). And make me sure if the age factor is not too affected as long as interesting.

If I reconsider, your statement makes sense. I don’t know very well about the management of WSJ, which surely is the ranking system and reader survey decides everything. This system can be good and bad results, both help and dependence. Let's just say that the new series lasted a maximum of 10 weeks in the lowest rank, but afterwards no effort changes in the development of the story. That would be a waste. Its effectiveness doesn’t apply to new series. This will not be a problem with Gintama who is currently always at the lowest, as they have secured positions with a large number of fans.

I agree with what you said that WSS do careless things, and I will not try to bias on any magazine. I really like WSJ in the past, with City Hunter or Hokuto no Ken caliber that got famous even in various parts of the world became a phenomenal that isn’t easily found now. Or at least, an entertaining series like Kochikame. And what I said before is that the glory has passed, that's true. I know this is wrong, there is even an influence of the genius of each author, but, the editor is also very fatal in giving direction to the author whether they are new or inexperienced.

In conclusion, well, in the end each magazine has its own management and isn’t very fair compared to it. Although sometimes there are many complaints coming in and out, but I admit if WSJ have a management that is certain and quite handled. That's what I like, about the digital version, they can at least cover up the flaws. And this also applies to WSS, although not too much different, but they are smart enough to follow the trend now.

I like WSS because they are solid, I emphasized, not containing full of great series (like the big 3) but I still enjoy it.

VIP
@goronyanpai i just baffled cause you criticism actually more apply to magazine other magazine rather than WSJ.

they are really consistent with their models, everything that tanked it reader survey will be axed, it is that simple. your critics about gintama made 0 sense since gintama nowhere near tanked in the reader rankings (tho does fallen from upper ranking since the ending started, but nowhere as bad as you try to imply). not even bleach which is sell way better than gintama survive because their surveys tanked. so your argument about already strong fanbase is already proven fals lot of time with shaman king, eyeshield, busou renkin, black cat, MXO, ETC.

your argument about WSJ doesn't follow trends is kind of baseless since even during this time, the amount of newcomers number in WSJ is pretty higher than WSM or WSS. the only series from 2000 left is only OP, HXH, and arguably boruto. otherwise is new face. it might not cater to your tatse but it is still follow the trending, at least what their reader has.

And the fall of shounen series world wide is more to do that we have more access to series which usually only appear at late night and more variety to chose. it's not even special to WSJ. when we last time SS series become popular worldwide after Conan? not even magi can do such a thing. so the glory has passed, for shounen overall, not WSJ.

also in WSJ, how weak editor positon is like become a walking joke on saiki and gintama. sure they can have influence, but final words still on author, at least on WSJ. same thing is not happened in WSM when Baby Steps author openly saying dissatisfied with editor choice to end his series. or WSS when keijo author openly dissatisfied with editor support.

don't get me wrong, i am also personally adhore SS much more than WSJ if you look at my ratings (tho i don't really follow WSM today because half of their series is sports which is not my things), but looking for objective stand point, your argument is really nitpicking and not special to WSJ at all, which is how your accusation that act-age like number second child is baseless. if they do good in ranking (which is does), they will stay, if not, they will axed. not even harapeko marie and robot X laserbeam from veteran author that has strong base stays, instead, new face like bokuben, act age, the promised neverland, and most recent jujutsu kaisen that can gain more reader heart stays. as simple as that.

@kuma
2y-17RvWVOvTZTI62OwnJPSMALuBaAaD3Mhn67s09qYZ8oC7Rimt6aDeUxEbVxsXXI1myLfn5NlOBEKGeXJ0mmopf8IKAW03UcuqZFE=w512-h287-nc

*17:41pm here, just coming home and still confused*
I will put an end to this. I appreciate your thoughts, you even correcting for my mistakes all over the place. Truly. There are still something bothering me, there is a shortage but there will be no end because our opinion will always clash.

Just so you know, my first post is actually a response to some previous comments about age issues and I mixed with other things. I edited it back without giving a quote.

Don't get me wrong too, I also keep following WSJ series. Last night I read Sougou Jikan Jigyou and Alice ro Taiyou. I don't feel that is a criticism, just a complaint because I feel disappointed. That's all.
This is WSJ after all, at least they can give something interesting like I read other magazine even though it is simple.

When I read U17, Harapeko no Marie, Bozebeats, Full Drive, Robot x Laserbeam, I enjoy the concept but after that..I feel like
iFnAVOV8151ntGDh_6ma4uR_qUnb9Ammp8OidjO4IbWhVVc41RS_mK-xBmH4dTCrKkr0QS0HNAy_e24X2qAdetU6jPB9ll9dkh_grsixaIuj7P6Y6-3gfY5LrQ=w360-h270-nc

Jujutsu Kaisen keep better, I like it, it has Kekkaishi vibes.

Power Uploader
I read a bit in advance, up to the chapter 26 (the latest raw chapter I could find).

So Kei, with her abnormal acting talent, is now gonna perform in a theater adaptation of Night on the Galactic Railroad.

*rereads the beginning of Kasane*…

Y- You might want to reconsider that, Kei. @.@

i'm new to mangadex but where are ch 21 and 22 ( saw them already on other sites)

Power Uploader
@glafx Yeah, Fall Angel's site has up to chapter 24, but maybe they don't want to upload them on other sites…

You can read chapters 4-39 here: https://manga.fascans.com/manga/actage
And Chapters 1-3 are free here: https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chapters/act-age

It's worth the trouble, it really is a wonderful story.

Dex-chan lover
Thinking of reading this but oh hey it's the misunderstandingscans. Good thing this is available at viz and err maybe virtually every other aggregator site.

Double-page supporter
All right, so I marathoned the 41 chapters of this that are out, it's 3 AM AND I REGRET NOTHING.
What is this. What is this masterpiece. I'm so frustrated by the end of chapter 41. Give me the next chapter nao !

- The characters. They are all unbelievably good. I totally expected the first rival to become a total bitch, but instead she's quite lovable and realistic as far as manga go. There's not a single character I don't like in this.

- The MC herself is great. Cute but impressive, smart but sometimes lovably dumb... a true weird savant character. It works.

- The art. It's really gorgeous. Nothing much to say.

- Usually in these kind of actress story, you usually get some clichés about "how good that actress is". But here it actually is believable. The "random mob that actually steals the spotlight" is something that did happens in reality for instance.

PS : It's Jump ? If it fares well for some more time, there's gonna be an anime of this, no doubt.

Power Uploader
@Kiriha What do you mean, Misunderstandingscans? =O

@ShinGetsu Pretty much. Though I'm honestly a bit worried that Kei is becoming too good too quickly with the Galactic Railroad arc. There's the question of "how do you go up from there?"

Double-page supporter
Yup, but going over the top is standard in japanese manga. There's always a new wall to overcome. I think she has still a lot of room to grow.
In any case it's up to the author.

And gosh do I dig this artstyle.

Power Uploader
My guess is that once the play is over and Iwao dies, she's gonna be hit hard by depression for a while…

Users who are viewing this thread