Adachi to Shimamura - Vol. 3 Ch. 16.5 - Thorns That Weave the Past: Old Rose 2

@Avonc4d0

So far she's been used as a tool to propel the relationship between Adachi and Shimamura foward. The whole 'date' thing being interrupted by her helped push Adachi foward into starting to be more proactive/assertive. If anything Yashiro is the cause of Adachi attempt the valentines day chocolate exchange at all.

is taru a love rival? Man this part of shimamura is somehow really relatable for me

@knonme Sure, there were a thousand better ways to do that without adding in a alien, but since the alian is the tool the author used lets give her credit and call her a worthwhile existence.

I suppose its better than them adding it in as just a pointless decoration, but saying she is completely unnecessary and even a distraction to the story doesn't seem far fetched. I can't imagine her becoming a positive influence on the story either.... feels like she takes more away then she adds as comic relief. Don't get me wrong, I want to be charmed by her cute and eccentric nature. But, since I am 90% positive this will proceed as if she being an actual alien, not just some odd kid, I am highly inclined to hate her very existence.

This story is plenty cute and realistic without that distracting being. A random left-field magical sci-fi girl just replaces these good points with a feeling of utter bewilderment and confusion.

When shima finally decided on calling out to Taru, I was expecting more struggle and space.. Like that in the novel.. shima called taru twice, the first time was that her voice was too soft, so she would have to struggle and raise her voice again. I also love the internal monologue of that scene.. but the manga seems to cut it too short. It was a terrifically moving scene.. I seriously recommend everyone to read it.
It is in Volume 3 chapter3, titled Thursday, February 13.

Right now, the chapter seems to be providing the description for the events, rather than having you feeling through it.

@monoreposo

I can understand your viewpoint. Since she is a bit of a oddity in a otherwise normal setting. Personally I don't actively dislike her, and once the story moves foward I like the dynamic she brings to certin relationships. But yeah she's partly there as a reference to another series for no other reason then just to be there. But I think her use as a means to shake up the norm between the two titular characters is great, as otherwise it'd have to be a third 'delinquent' shaking things up, or everything would either revolve around school or their home lives since both Adachi and Shimamura are habitual loners who have basicly built walls between themselves and their same age peers. So it would be unnatural if it wasn't a brand new third party coming in to shake thing's up and I think the eccentric Yashiro fits that hole nicely and her wacky sense of person allows her to be where the story needs her to be without break everything.

Tl;Dr I like her because she's meta

@bOti234

Not who you asked but I would heavily recommend the novel. There's a lot of internal dialog that gives even more depth to the characters that unfortunately the manga needs to condecde. It's a good read 10/10

@FindingPurpose
Right now, the chapter seems to be providing the description for the events, rather than having you feeling through it.
This sets high expectations, as I am feeling a hell of a lot right now. This series makes it near the top of my list in terms of invoking emotions and its realistic portrayal of thoughts, feelings, and relationships.

@knonme Denpa onna.... thats Futon girl right. No wonder the way she felt familiar, and why I felt so confident she was a break away from reality. Can't say I remember much about her though, only saw the anime, and that was way back when holo was a fansubber in collage. Didn't make it high on my list, though I do know I completed the season I watched. All I remember now is a futon burrito and pool water-ball scene

.... That said, if she could just be a quirky and eccentric girl, this would be gold for me. I like random quirky eccentric little girls after all....

Users who are viewing this thread