Akatsuki no Yona - Vol. 35 Ch. 203.1 - Let's Get Some Tea Before We Go Home

The lass? It's so confusing seeing scanlations groups constantly changing terms used or their names in the manga.

Thanks for translation.

@AFWQ "The lass" is a pretty common term used by an older male for a younger female though? The opposite would be "Lad", used for boys. Using Lass is pretty much the same as using "Girlie", though I see it much less mocking.

@thifa I know meaning of it. Thanks. What confuses me is how until this point Zeno has always refered to Yona as "The Miss", on older scanlations. Which means same. That's why I don't understand it and find it confusing.

Sieg was introduce, although other fans, translated as Jeek or Jiiku, I think it ends up staying as Sieg, being it's a new character, "a new thing" on the manga. But changing something fandom uses and has been part of translation for so long... It's a sweet term use by fandom for years and change like that... Manga ends up losing a bit of it's essence, that sweet feeling you get while reading something you know and create a certain emphaty for all these chapters.

Dex-chan lover
@AFWQ I think it goes with the shift of setting, though? They're suddenly in an era with a lot less formality and attention to status differences, so they're not going to use respect terms even if she appears to still be in some sense a princess.

@Purplelibraryguy Huh? They use the same term on chapter they translated from story. Being "The lass" or "The Miss", it applies same level of formality. It just loses warmth, also meaning it had while reading it until this point.

And from translations I read or what sensei said want to express on this chapter, she doesn't want extra chapter to look disconnect from story, enviroment it has.

Dex-chan lover
@AFWQ I stand corrected on them using the same term in both places. So yeah, I'd agree it's a bad substitution, at least in the medieval setting.
As to the usage connotations of "lass" vs "miss", though, I think you're dead wrong. First, "lass" is definitely less formal and less class-oriented than "miss", there's no two ways about it (at least as a form of address like that). If someone is "miss so-and-so" that doesn't have a lot of class implications, but referring to someone as "the miss", "the young miss" or such is definitely a sort of talking upwards--not that formal, but with distinct lower-class-talking-to-upper-class implications; so is actually addressing someone as "miss" if you know them well. "Lass" is of course a Scottish term, and like anything widespread and Scots, it comes from humble working and peasant class background. And it's used for any girl. If it has class implications it's the other way--it's a form of address you would be less likely to use to someone upper class unless you were really close to them and felt you could ignore the rules.
Finally, my (partial) Scots heritage rises up to insist absolutely that there's nothing cold about "lass"! It's a friendly, honest, easy-going form of address.

@Purplelibraryguy I am dead wrong? That's funny. Since you want to go there... Do you actually know what is word used by Zeno to refer to Yona? It's musumesan (a very formal old fashion term), which is translated to "daughter", "miss" (not lass), and from what I capture from past scanlations said about use of term, Zeno uses term in a sloppy way. And thanks for explaning it, which just gives far more reason to why past scanlations groups used "The Miss" (which it makes far less sense to why change): Zeno is older (2000 years can do that to a character), he will always be far more formal, old fashion, which just makes sense why they choose "The Miss" until now. So term translated won't be correct word, in your explanation.

And my part, just because you enjoy it, it doesn't mean other people will or won't find it confusing. "Lass" is far less common than "Miss". I do find it confusing and I am not only person thinking so because as I explain, "The Miss" is a familiar term, used by all fandom. It's very bittersweet change.

Dex-chan lover
@AFWQ I said you're dead wrong about the usage connotations of "lass" vs "miss". You were. This is hardly surprising if you're little enough acquainted with the term "lass" as to find it confusing. I didn't say anything about the original language, the quality of the translation, or any of that. You know the original language, I know idiomatic, international, and archaic English.

@Purplelibraryguy Yet I am the one who is wrong, funny. (I still don't understand point of this conversation) so you didn't understand neither my point or what I said, specially after I explained? You want have this conversation because...? To show you know term lass?
And no I wasn't (as I already explain).

Neither of this was my point, and doesn't add anything (as I explain as well) to comment I did about translation of manga.

This is actually quite nice. Very wholehearted, so to speak. 😅
I like this.

Users who are viewing this thread