Alcohol and Ogre-girls - Ch. 38

Dex-chan lover
Feels forced to make Hinata indebted to her weirdo of a family member over a missing ingredient. They could have just taken the cocktail off the menu, I don't think they'd be crucified for it
If oni are like the fae of European Mythology, then asking for a favor is a big deal. Nothing is free from the fae. They will call in the marker and will pay exactly what they owe you.

And the cocktail sounds like it is the main draw. So missing it would be like a McDonald's not having burgers available.

Dex-chan lover
Feels forced to make Hinata indebted to her weirdo of a family member over a missing ingredient. They could have just taken the cocktail off the menu, I don't think they'd be crucified for it
Even better, make it a limited item with a crazy markup.

Dex-chan lover
Yeah that really soured what is supposed to be a cute wholesome moment.

Probably gonna throw Hinata into some hellish situation over a damn mint, then cue Naori going into despair over it.

Dex-chan lover
And the cocktail sounds like it is the main draw. So missing it would be like a McDonald's not having burgers available.
Okay, but it's a university fair. They could have easily put up a sign saying "Lunch break", gone to a liquor store or supermarket and gotten more mint liqueur. And if they needed more time just close the stall for midday and then open back up mid afternoon

I know I'm thinking too much about it, it's a manga about ogres, but this feels like a very dumb setup that's gonna bite them in the ass later down the line :nyoron:

Dex-chan lover
Okay, but it's a university fair. They could have easily put up a sign saying "Lunch break", gone to a liquor store or supermarket and gotten more mint liqueur. And if they needed more time just close the stall for midday and then open back up mid afternoon

I know I'm thinking too much about it, it's a manga about ogres, but this feels like a very dumb setup that's gonna bite them in the ass later down the line :nyoron:
He's "family" and she needed some quick help. Why wouldn't she think to ask for liquor she knows her family can bring over immediately? I don't think that's an absurd decision. I'd do the same. He's not really a villain, though I'm sure he'll ask for a favor in return.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
He's "family" and she needed some quick help. Why wouldn't she think to ask for liquor she knows her family can bring over immediately? I don't think that's an absurd decision. I'd do the same. He's not really a villain, though I'm sure he'll ask for a favor in return.
If he were regular family I'd understand, but he isn't. Hinata left home and clearly doesn't like interacting with him, attending the Ibuki meetings and doesn't want him getting close to her and Naori. Personally I wouldn't want to rely on a person I don't like, especially when they're going to ask for a favour in return

Dex-chan lover
If he were regular family I'd understand, but he isn't. Hinata left home and clearly doesn't like interacting with him, attending the Ibuki meetings and doesn't want him getting close to her and Naori. Personally I wouldn't want to rely on a person I don't like, especially when they're going to ask for a favour in return
She's not a fan of him but I don't want to exaggerate her dislike of him. Also, in that situation, I would still ask a favor from him, even if we didn't get along well. I have quick access to liquor that solves our problems--I am definitely sucking up my issues with a parent or brother, to call and ask them for a favor.

Dex-chan lover
We have complicated relationships with family. And the way it goes is that you basically never go to them for a favor for yourself, but, if someone else is struggling and you know they could do something about it, you suck up your issues and ask them. Because, like, the most important thing is that you are independent of them, not that you never get their help.

Dex-chan lover
Does anyone know what's the type of relative the dude is to Hinata? We've got two cousins. Is this dude supposed to be the eldest cousin? Her uncle (not the father of any of the two girls)? Older brother? I forgot and it's killing me.

Also I really hope the monster doesn't go "an eye for an eye" on our little racist kid. Would be kinda heavy to have a teenager loose an arm. A college student going through this would be terrible, but damn during HIGH SCHOOL? Naori babes, save her

Dex-chan lover
Does anyone know what's the type of relative the dude is to Hinata? We've got two cousins. Is this dude supposed to be the eldest cousin? Her uncle (not the father of any of the two girls)? Older brother? I forgot and it's killing me.

Also I really hope the monster doesn't go "an eye for an eye" on our little racist kid. Would be kinda heavy to have a teenager loose an arm. A college student going through this would be terrible, but damn during HIGH SCHOOL? Naori babes, save her
I don't remember if they are literally related but they assume "familial" roles (at least), with him as the protective older brother leading the group. Despite caring for the "family" and Hinata, he disagrees with her views on oni. He shares similar perspectives with Mikage regarding Hinata's beliefs and seems to be fond of Naori (but who wouldn't?!).

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Isuzu can't acknowledge Hinata is more than just a beast and a person with the same complexity as a human, because doing so would threaten her core identity and values. If she allows herself to get "mixed" with Hinata and her kind and gets along with them just fine, that means all of her training was for nothing.

Now that she is facing an enemy without her weapon, what if the only person who can come to her rescure is an ogre? Would it make her resentment worse if she were forced to accept help from one of them?

I kind of hope that as this conflict is coming to a head, the focus will be on Hinata this time, with Naori only supporting.

Dex-chan lover
If oni are like the fae of European Mythology, then asking for a favor is a big deal. Nothing is free from the fae. They will call in the marker and will pay exactly what they owe you.

Uh, not really. It's just one ingredient they're running low on for one particular cocktail. It's the most popular, but it's not like they can't make any other cocktail as well. If we're using your analogy, it'd be more like McDonald's running low on the special sauce, so they wouldn't be able to make Big Macs. They'd still be able to make every other item on the menu.

Edit for stupid spelling mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread