Always getting logged out

Dex-chan lover
Hi. So I have this problem since months but I often are logged out when coming back here. What's more is I always need to change my settings and everything again. This doesn't happen all the time which is weird. It is very random.
Is that a problem on my side or because you guys still work on this site? I'm sorry if this is something obvious, I'm not very good with Pc stuff....

Custom title
Staff
Developer
Proposed solution: Some sort of Setting to keep ourselves logged in for a set timeframe. Some websites give a generic two weeks. That'd be great to be able to put a little checkbox in my account settings and this never is an issue again.
That's the "remember me" option, should last for a month. If you're checking it and it's not working then something else is going on.

My issue and concern is similar to @seekermoc and @Ahdharr , except that while my laptop is using Firefox/Ublock/VPN, my Chromebook is Chrome/uBlock. And I have nothing that auto-clears cookies/cache.

On either device, I can start a manga logged in, but when I finish it 7 chapters later and return to the manga page, I may already be logged out. This is not that much of a hindrance for re-reading, or single-volume reads that I complete in one sitting, but for reads I need to return to, especially really long reads, having the chapters stop tracking somewhere along the way is inconvenient. This has been happening since the auth system update.

Dex-chan lover
It happens daily. My browser is set to keep everything for the session, so it shouldn't be losing any cookies or local storage while it is open.

If I leave my tabs for several hours, I don't stay signed in. Then it ends up opening the next chapter without my account tracking my progress.

Depending on how long it has been, I will either have to:
  1. hit refresh,
  2. hit refresh and then the sign in button,
  3. hit refresh, the sign in button, and put my password in again. (so much for checking the "remember me" box)
The interesting thing is that I can be signed in in one tab while another tab continues to stay signed out until I hard refresh or press the sign in button there too.

It seems the site is configured to timeout accounts on open tabs and then let you continue to navigate the site using partial live page content refreshes while forgetting that you're signed in until you force a manual full page load/reload.

Quite frustrating.

As someone else mentioned, this doesn't seem to happen on the forums.

Double-page supporter
As to additional information advised to be given: Current version of chrome. Had been ongoing for months. Cookies are enabled as well. As to what is causing it aside that I'm uncertain.

I'm experiencing the identical issue Koneko_Nyaa is having. It's exactly as they describe, so many times I'm having to double back and fill in reading progress to know where I left off at a later date when I come back to a work. It's not like its some horrendous problem, but as I said it really undermines the convenient feature the site has. More a QoL problem than anything.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
To me it was the cookie cleaning that caused it so I'm always logged in now as long as I disable that.
When I started going in the forums it sometimes said I'm logged out after going back or switching to another thread but that also works now.
Anyway, I'm glad it wasn't a me being stupid problem and thanks for the staff working on it.

Dex-chan lover
I always set my Firefox for PC to clear out cookies and browsing history, so I was expecting to be logged out everytime I turned off my PC or close Firefox browser on my PC.
What was weird was my Firefox for Android. I rarely clear out the cookies there, doing so once every 2 or 3 month. And I did expect to be logged out of Mangadex everytime I did that. Thing is, I clear out Firefox Android's cookie a wee bit too early, and deleting the cookies again after 2 minutes because there was a problem with other sites and I was thinking it was browser-side problem. After this unrelated problem was solved, I logged into Mangadex. After... I think 3 hours of logged in, I try to browse the site again from my Firefox Android, and found out I was logged out. So far it happened twice in one day. Odd thing is, Firefox Android still have my preference for this site, such as Chapter Language and Origin Language setting even after I logged out. I know those two were tied to cookies and page history.

Dex-chan lover
I found a weird workaround. Whenever I stumble into the "you need to log in" message, if I click on my profile in the corner, it says guest, but the option at the bottom still says "sign out", not "log in" or whatever. And if I try to open "guest's" profile, it reauthorizes me without having to put in my long ass password.
I'm browsing from mobile, dunno how it'll work on other platforms.

What information on user accounts is important enough to warrant session timeouts anyway?
Don't get me wrong I'm all for implementing necessary security features, but I don't see how a normal user account holds any sensitive information or any other information of value. If you're worried about session hijacking, the current timeout is nowhere near short enough to prevent significant abuse either.

I fail to see the value this provides, especially considering the annoyance of the breaking UX flow. There are much better ways to handle re-auth like checking credentials before expiry and keeping users in a consistently authenticated state.

Dex-chan lover
Oh, I just noticed this happening to me too. Desktop Firefox and the usual add-ons.
A very recent thing for me I only noticed today. Hasn't even gotten annoying yet, I'm sure it will soon.

Okay annoyance achieved. It also seems to go short term amnesic and forget chapters I've read before logging me out. Grrr

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Yesterday MangaDex had server outage and after that I had to relogin everywhere (easily noticed since I'm logged in via like 5 sessions on two devices). So for anyone posting now, keep in mind that's likely the reason this time and any other time the server has a global issue.

Users who are viewing this thread