Aola Star - Parallel Universe

Not planning to read (thanks for the warning, many commenters) only planning to comment.

I really hope his nickname in this comic is Bai-sexual. Maybe it's his middle name?

Dex-chan lover
Yeaaaaaaah.... This one is shit. The story is so baaaaaad. The characters are unlikable.

Dex-chan lover
What really gets me about this one is that they got me interested because of the relationship between the protagonist and his childhood rival, and then she immediately gets stuffed in the fridge for the rest of forever.

can someone please translate this raw is already up to chapter 122
i like this so far expect the cowardly mc but this is still entertaining so far

Don't bother with this rip-off of Ecstas Online. Literally just copied the cover art too.
IEdChFI.jpg

Dex-chan lover
@MHXX Holy shit! you're right... and is worse because the artist of Ecstas died, so to rip off his work like this is beyond disgusting

Dex-chan lover
*read title*
brain: Monster girl Quest!
*read the title again*
Monster Quest: Parallel Universe
oh :(

@MHXX so the Artist rip-off of Ecstas Online cover?
ok, that's just low man but still, i hope the story is not trash :|

@Serenata wait a mint for real the author for Ecstas Online die!?
ok this rip-off is one big bullshit :mad:

Dex-chan lover
@ZeroWWE sorry about the mistake but apparently it was the artist of the manga, not the writer of the story, however the manga couldn't continue (I guess they didn't want to just pick another artist)

Group Leader
https://mangadex.org/title/33582/aola-star-parallel-universe

@Emory
Wait what the, why is there 2 same manga with different names? Why is this manga get reposted with different name what the heck is going on, somebody please elaborate.

@zvtqn
Maybe the translators had a different source which gave it a different name and they thought that it was a different manga/mahwa/mahua/comic maybe?? Anyway this happened to this one as well

Second Life (original chinese version source)
https://mangadex.org/title/30261/second-life

One Plus One (korean translated version source)
https://mangadex.org/title/51831/one-plus-one

Dex-chan lover
I cannot stop misreading Aola as Aoli.

Anyway, this manhua actually seems interesting, as it's basically one of the very few (translated/being translated) sci-fi isekais out there.
There are issues though, such as how with almost every manhua I've encountered the villains (and generally all neutral characters) believe themselves superior to the MC. What this manhua does differently though from the others that is still a negative is the fact that the MC is kinda like Ash Ketchum from the Pokemon anime, in that he's weak and determined while essentially being clueless about all the shit being thrown at him by the villain/s and even one of the heroins! Probably the last issue I've seen so far is the way the lore and information is handled, and the issue is that some parts of the lore are just info-dumped onto the reader in a boring minute-long paragraph festival, while some other stuff (you'll notice what when reading) is left in the dark for the reader to guess on with no basis thus emulating the feeling of being left behind by the story.

I've spoken about the bad points, but what about the good points? Well as stated before this manhua does a fair amount differently from the rest, and it pulls most of it off well. The artwork captures the idea of a sci-fi fantasy incredibly well, making every location feel distinct and unique with it's own technological and magical flair. The fact that there is a backstory to the world the MC is transported to makes it feel all the more real, not like you've been shown a bare script or a picture book, but more like you've just read through a good game or movie. The plot is pretty interesting itself, as the over-arcing plot is set up before the sub-plots and is given depth as you progress your reading, which helps create the feeling of it being a pre-established world the MC was just yoinked into.

Take what I've said with a grain of salt, since you might take these positives and negatives differently as you find them yourself while reading. Do remember, this is a manhua, not a AAA game or blockbuster, so I might've over-described it a little due to me getting to into writing this up.

Group Leader
@UnreasonablySaucyConcrete sounds like you've read the raws?

Yep, I think you have mostly nailed the good and bad of this series though I would like to disagree and say that the MC isn't actually clueless at all, he actually knows a lot about the world he's sent to because it's the 'game' he's been playing for ~8 years. ofc, there are some things that he's not familiar with but he always offhandedly mentions when something strange happens that doesn't happen in the game. The 'superior to the MC' thing is definitely a trope seen in most manhua/manga and him being clueless about the antagonist's schemes is generally a normal part of storytelling (It wouldn't be interesting if he knew everything they were doing) and I personally like that the reader is also kept in the dark with certain things because I like the plot twists in this series, but I do have knowledge of some of the characters from playing the mobile game so maybe I'm a bit biased.

But yeah, the 'exposition chapters' or 'exposition pages' that come in at different points throughout the manhua are definitely a drag, they were an absolute slog to translate and I'm sure it's gonna be hell to typeset them but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it :) Overall, the series is decent, the art is really good and the story was interesting enough to keep me motivated in translating it all the way through and I think if the author decides to continue this series then I think it has the potential to be much better than it already is, especially if it more or less follows the plot from the mobile game because the further you get into the storyline of the mobile game, the better it gets imo and the plot of the manhua probably covers like 10% of the overall story. I've heard good things about the browser game too, but unfortunately, there's no English translation for it.

Why start the whole manga all over again and not just continue from chapter 17, there is already two of every chapter and after this we will have 3 of every chapter 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♀️

Users who are viewing this thread