Asper Kanojo - Vol. 9 Ch. 73 - The Red City part III

Dex-chan lover
Takamatsu didn't seem that different. She seemed like usual, a sex addict probably with depression who knows she has an issue but doesn't know how to solve it and just continuously hates herself even more than the trash men she's with. I always saw her as a foil to a saitou with a yokoi. She doesn't have a very good support group and can't seem to find a way out of the hole she's in (whether she just keeps digging a bigger one) because it's not something that can be handled alone.

That said she really didn't seem that bad this chapter. More like she's in a bad mood than her being actually antagonistic. I mean her last line wasn't that bad considering she just got shoved. She didn't seem mad at the MC so much as how he treated their relationship and said herself it's just because it reminded her of the men she associated with and then probably reminded her of whatever terrible experience she had to get her sitting outside like that.

I feel like Saitou reaction this chapter was overlooked (if not by the audience than definitely by the characters). Whereas the MC immediately gave up because he does have issues with getting involved in other people's lives and maintaining distance, Saitou put herself right in Takamatsu face and tried to help her to her room. It even seemed to help for a minute until Takamatsu was reminded on whatever led to that scene and projected taking it out on both of them. I mean it was just nice to see. Even though the atmosphere was heavy leading up to the scene and she had been dealing with her own shit, she didn't hesitate to worry about a close acquaintance (if not friend) and take action. The MC shows that's more than most people would do.
"It's the same face my clients make." But he always has that face-- it's his regular face.
Right? I get what the author was going for and it is the MC's personality, but sheesh he makes the same face when does get involved. I feel it would have been more appropriate for her to comment on the fact that the MC asked if she's okay once and when she didn't respond tried to walk away and then only made another comment after Saitou got them involved. Honestly I can understand getting more than a little miffed after that.

i mean didn't back then they kinda established that megumi would work on writing stuff online? wonder if something happened about it that i forgot
This was what made the way the chapter ended weird for me. The MC, her, and entire Manga are active as if they just got some world Shattering revelation and this hasn't been a frequently brought up anxiety (her not pulling her own weight and leeching off the MC and being a burden that'll get abandoned eventually). I think getting a part time job is a good step up. Working with other people and having a routine can be really good for one's mental health and the better pay would help to equalize their relationship so there isn't as much insecurity about how one sided it is. I can also see this being a recurring issue for her even after doing the online stuff, but the MC's surprise Pikachu face (or like surprised Pikachu poker face) and Manga making it out to be a shocking massive deal kinda distracts from it's meaning imo.

Dex-chan lover
Calm down speedreader-kun. Like almost everyone in this manga, she has issues with herself. Ironically enough, her sex-addiction literally stems from her lack of connection and love in her life.
Because she fucks randoms so fucking much she can't create a god damn connection. I will not feel remorse for a whore

Dex-chan lover
This was what made the way the chapter ended weird for me. The MC, her, and entire Manga are active as if they just got some world Shattering revelation and this hasn't been a frequently brought up anxiety (her not pulling her own weight and leeching off the MC and being a burden that'll get abandoned eventually). I think getting a part time job is a good step up. Working with other people and having a routine can be really good for one's mental health and the better pay would help to equalize their relationship so there isn't as much insecurity about how one sided it is. I can also see this being a recurring issue for her even after doing the online stuff, but the MC's surprise Pikachu face (or like surprised Pikachu poker face) and Manga making it out to be a shocking massive deal kinda distracts from it's meaning imo.
It gets even worse in the next chapter,
either the official translation's quality is just bad, or the man rambles incoherently about being tired but wanting to keep her around or whatever. When they try to get her a job, he seems his usual exhausted-but-otherwise-aloof self, only for him to get this look in his eye like he's run out of patience and he's about to kill her the moment she actually finds a prospect. The entire emotional tone is bass ackwards, and I don't understand why anyone is feeling anything anymore,

Double-page supporter
Because she fucks randoms so fucking much she can't create a god damn connection. I will not feel remorse for a whore
Again speed-reader-kun, calm down. While it is easy, blunt, and straightforward it is to think "Well maybe if the whore didn't fuck so much she'd be able to create a connection!!11!" and nothing more deeper than that there's more nuance to these issues regarding someone as troubled and broken as her in creating long lasting and meaningful interpersonal relationships. It isn't so clear cut and dry. Especially in a manga such as this that details the many issues, trials, and tribulations regarding the mentally unwell.

Though, let's be real considering the sheer bitterness your comment iridates stronger than fifty Chernobyls you don't actually want to think deeply about the issues the characters are facing and find it easier to paint things with a easy peasy breezy "stupid female whore" black and white-esque mindset.

Dex-chan lover
Again speed-reader-kun, calm down. While it is easy, blunt, and straightforward it is to think "Well maybe if the whore didn't fuck so much she'd be able to create a connection!!11!" and nothing more deeper than that there's more nuance to these issues regarding someone as troubled and broken as her in creating long lasting and meaningful interpersonal relationships. It isn't so clear cut and dry. Especially in a manga such as this that details the many issues, trials, and tribulations regarding the mentally unwell.

Though, let's be real considering the sheer bitterness your comment iridates stronger than fifty Chernobyls you don't actually want to think deeply about the issues the characters are facing and find it easier to paint things with a easy peasy breezy "stupid female whore" black and white-esque mindset.
Speed-reader-kun is making a subtly different point: She's hopeless. It's already too late, and there's nothing anyone can do to help her. All the nuance in the world boils down to the fact that she can't form a connection with anyone. Her addiction means that even if she tries to be normal for once in her life, she:

A) Can't form an emotional connection with the other person.
B) Will immediately cheat to satisfy said addiction.

And this is assuming she finds herself a Yokoi. And if we're being honest, the manga doesn't ask us to suspend out disbelief to pretend Saitou and the neighbors can exist, it asks us to suspend it to believe Yokoi exists.

Double-page supporter
Speed-reader-kun is making a subtly different point: She's hopeless. It's already too late, and there's nothing anyone can do to help her. All the nuance in the world boils down to the fact that she can't form a connection with anyone. Her addiction means that even if she tries to be normal for once in her life, she:

A) Can't form an emotional connection with the other person.
B) Will immediately cheat to satisfy said addiction.

And this is assuming she finds herself a Yokoi. And if we're being honest, the manga doesn't ask us to suspend out disbelief to pretend Saitou and the neighbors can exist, it asks us to suspend it to believe Yokoi exists.
Good point there. Like many have said, you can't help someone unless they actually want to be helped and are willing to change with help. She's at a point where she's so far gone that even though she does want that healthy intimacy and connection she simply doesn't have the means and willpower to actually break her addiction and would rather continue to take the easier way and suffer. She really is hopeless and I can't deny that in the slightest.

I don't think the author is going to pull a Yokoi here and have her fine a guy who'll help her fix everything. Yokoi, in a sense, is a complete fantasy in a world of horrific realism not many people would have the willpower and desire to take on the many trials and tribulations that come with someone like Megumi

I think I was a bit annoyed with Speed-reader-kun who came off as if he skimmed the manga and got absolutely bootyblasted at the mere sight of a "whore"

Dex-chan lover
Good point there. Like many have said, you can't help someone unless they actually want to be helped and are willing to change with help. She's at a point where she's so far gone that even though she does want that healthy intimacy and connection she simply doesn't have the means and willpower to actually break her addiction and would rather continue to take the easier way and suffer. She really is hopeless and I can't deny that in the slightest.

I don't think the author is going to pull a Yokoi here and have her fine a guy who'll help her fix everything. Yokoi, in a sense, is a complete fantasy in a world of horrific realism not many people would have the willpower and desire to take on the many trials and tribulations that come with someone like Megumi

I think I was a bit annoyed with Speed-reader-kun who came off as if he skimmed the manga and got absolutely bootyblasted at the mere sight of a "whore"
He's ultimately right. If you actually pay attention to what he's saying, he doesn't feel bad for her because she's the sole author of her own misery. And she's deciding to lash out at the closest thing she has to a friend and her boyfriend/caretaker because they don't involve themselves deeply in the chaotic yoke of her life.

If you'll let me take up more of your time here, have you asked what's in it for anyone else? Like, even if she goes through the whole process of breaking the addiction, dealing with her emotional problems, magically becoming able to pair bond, etc. in a record three years: What then? This woman's in her late 20's, probably be in her 30's by the time that happens. She's a prostitute and has literally lost count of how many people (Not even just men) she's slept with, has had her exes coming over regularly, for money, to fuck her, and while the manga hasn't shown it, if this didn't come with substance abuse issues, I'd be shocked. God knows if she's been recorded at this point.

Clean up as much as you like, this is still ground zero for some devastating personal catastrophe. Her best bet is to lie and hope none of this comes back to bite her. And that's no way to run a relationship.

Double-page supporter
He's ultimately right. If you actually pay attention to what he's saying, he doesn't feel bad for her because she's the sole author of her own misery. And she's deciding to lash out at the closest thing she has to a friend and her boyfriend/caretaker because they don't involve themselves deeply in the chaotic yoke of her life.

If you'll let me take up more of your time here, have you asked what's in it for anyone else? Like, even if she goes through the whole process of breaking the addiction, dealing with her emotional problems, magically becoming able to pair bond, etc. in a record three years: What then? This woman's in her late 20's, probably be in her 30's by the time that happens. She's a prostitute and has literally lost count of how many people (Not even just men) she's slept with, has had her exes coming over regularly, for money, to fuck her, and while the manga hasn't shown it, if this didn't come with substance abuse issues, I'd be shocked. God knows if she's been recorded at this point.

Clean up as much as you like, this is still ground zero for some devastating personal catastrophe. Her best bet is to lie and hope none of this comes back to bite her. And that's no way to run a relationship.
Oh he is, not going to deny that. I can't even say something like "It's not HER fault!!11!" because it genuinely is her fault, denying that would be ignorant. It's annoying to see a car crash that you know could've been stopped way before it happens.

I have actually. The answer to that is "not much beyond becoming a proper member of society" and "most likely a relationship built on lying about one's past." which is unfortunate but undoubtedly true. I mean there's a possibility of her marrying or getting with another prostitute but that's more of a rare silver lining let's be honest. It probably will not happen unless by some stroke of luck she meets a male prostitutes who's willing to leave behind such a life and get as clean. Again, a rare silver lining that probably will not happen. While I believe in the concept of "so long as you're a good person and have changed yourself for the better, you deserve love" such a concept is nothing more than a fantasy in the eyes of others. Nobody, man or woman, will want to lay with someone who's laid with the entire neighborhood and then some. Even if she were to clean herself up, what if she relapses? What if a crises causes her to relapse into her addictive habits? What if someone remembers who she is? And so on. It's not a good life and there's not a ""happy good ending"" to it 90% of the time. Don't get me wrong. I don't believe that she's 100% pure and in the right, far from it.

I guess it's more so I'm not angry that she is a whore (Granted. I don't support sexwork as it's nasty and brings a lot more harm than good), but more so why she's a whore. So I kind of got annoyed when someone got bootyblasted for (what I thought was, my bad) the fact that she's a whore and not so much of why she is one. Cause it would be absolutely annoying to know someone would sell themselves in such a way not because they're in financial hardship, being forced to do it or hell, because they like it, but because of untreated mental illness which could've been solved way back if she bucked up and got some help. But she won't and probably never will which is irritating to say the least.

Dex-chan lover
Cause it would be absolutely annoying to know someone would sell themselves in such a way not because they're in financial hardship, being forced to do it or hell, because they like it, but because of untreated mental illness which could've been solved way back if she bucked up and got some help. But she won't and probably never will which is irritating to say the least.
Mind you, she actually pays her exes to sleep with her.

She's making prostitutes out of her exes.

...she's a reverse hooker. Though, she mentioned something about her "clients" this chapter? Did she start regular hooking, too?

Dex-chan lover
Mind you, she actually pays her exes to sleep with her.

She's making prostitutes out of her exes.

...she's a reverse hooker. Though, she mentioned something about her "clients" this chapter? Did she start regular hooking, too?
She's a regular hooker who fills the hooking gap with her exes. Pretty sure she's always been one.

Dex-chan lover
She's a regular hooker who fills the hooking gap with her exes. Pretty sure she's always been one.
She mentioned that she pays her exes to sleep with her in the chapter where she's introduced (chapter 14). She offered Yokoi the same type of arrangement in that chapter, as well.

This chapter has her talking in a way where it's implied she does regular hooking, but I don't recall the chapter or arc where specifically that was revealed-- if it ever was up until now.

Unrelated: Saitou's mental image of her has hook arms. But not because she's a hooker-- it's on account of her wanting someone to hold.

Fed-Kun's army
She's relapsing hard and it's starting to affect him.
I think this important to point out: progress is not linear. Every therapist would tell you that, you make one step, then make two backs; maybe you get side tracked, maybe it looks like a slope; but progress when you have a mental illness is not this straight line that you walk. It's hard, and it's gonna be painful. It looks like this because Yokoi isn't that well adapted himself, and as he said, he probably took onto this because he wanted to feel reliable (compared to Megumi) but it's more than what he can; and he needs to understand that he can't, and he won't "fix her". Like, maybe is the japanese approach, but mental illnesses are not something you fix and get over with, you just learn to live with them; and while she is shown taking meds, you're supposed to take them in tandem with therapy, and not on their own. You're also supposed to have scheduled appointments to keep the dosage up to day and adjust it. Furthermore, she's reliving all her trauma from her youth with the lawsuit going on, is understandable that she is stressed and on edge, and that it affects Yokoi too.

Users who are viewing this thread