Asuperu Kanojo - Vol. 4 Ch. 31 - One Step at a Time...

Dex-chan lover
if i see the words "tragedy" appear in these tags one day i will scream

Fails to mention how most medication ruins your brain in the long run.
Glad I stopped taking them before it was too late.

Dex-chan lover
@Rexi, I don't think so, the author is doing the job to show us the struggles of people with this kind of "disabilities", Tragedy will not help it...

Double-page supporter
@Rexi Considering the heavy (and sometimes even harrowing) subject matter, it's unfortunately likelier than not, but I seriously hope the manga doesn't go down the Punpun route, honestly.

In all seriousness, having Yokoi turn the situation around to talking about materialistic desires and appearances like that isn't exactly the healthiest way to go about it in the long-term, although it does help to dispel the acute dysphoria she was feeling at that time. Double-edged swords are everywhere in life.

@bakiomari
Fails to mention how most medication ruins your brain in the long run.
Glad I stopped taking them before it was too late.

Meds DO NOT ruin your brain. I hope no one takes you seriously. For many conditions, there is NO SOLUTION other than medication. These conditions cannot "get better" or "go away over time." It is of utmost importance to keep taking your meds, without fail, at regular times. And to have a sympathetic psychiatrist who listens to you, and is willing to try different things until you find a mix that works. You are always balancing side effects against helpful effects.

Dex-chan lover
Man, Yokoi sure draws some sad and pessimistic stuff, no wonder he doesn't have much readers.

Double-page supporter
@princeofcups THANK YOU! A lot of people stop taking their medication without supervision from their psychiatrists, and the side effects of doing so cold turkey are horrible.

People: If you're medicated, DO NOT make those choices yourselves!

Dex-chan lover
Obviously, if you don't need psychiatric meds, then don't take them. That said, if you have to, then you have to. Unfortunately, the only way to relieve some psychiatric issues is directly messing with the brain chemistry.

@princeofcups Meds do alter brain chemistry over time (otherwise, their effectiveness wouldn't go down in the first place), but definitely don't go cold turkey without a doctor's consent.

@princeofcups

I must say, not all medications are 100% bad. There are some meds that do not have that much of a severe long time effect. On the other hand, antidepressants give you a possibility of addiction and are hard to withdraw from, with symptoms being Insomnia, Anxiety, Pain, and palpitations. Antianxiety Medicine is addictive (Xannax for example). ADHD Medicine slows your physical growth, and damages your brain development, especially if you're young. Personally, from experience, Antipsychotics (I took Abilify( only gave me a headaches, a shaky body, lack of control on my moods, and dizziness to name a few. ever since I've gone off, even if my illness didn't pass, I've been better and have found other ways to cope.

Dex-chan lover
"i win in terms of sense of smell"
i don't think liking farts means you're winning

To chip in on the medication discussion - antidepressants are not considered addictive although they do result in dependence and withdrawal which can be managed by careful cessation. Antipsychotics do indeed result in extrapyramidal symptoms which is why their use is carefully controlled. In discussions of brain chemistry something people fail to note is that untreated recurring anxiety and depression result in brain damage. Meds prevent and reverse this.

Double-page supporter
i said she probably needs a therapist that's not just yokoi, but sometimes my dude really do be dropping these lil bits of encouragement that are even more perfect than a professional at the time lmao <3
i do still hope they get more help and both keep getting better together uwu

Dex-chan lover
I want them to win.

On a side note, I guessing that all of her meds are somehow subsidized, is there no way to also see a therapist along with whatever psychiatrists is writing her prescriptions?

Users who are viewing this thread