Asuperu Kanojo - Vol. 6 Ch. 40 - The Shimizu Family (Part Two)

Dex-chan lover
Is she... Trying to understand her emotion by simulating her childhood?

Thanks for the translation. These parents seem....good. Especially because their child has a disorder himself, they're really trying to work with him. I actually think that a rare spanking is a bad thing for a normal child, but I can certainly understand that a young or autistic child might not understand that greater misbehavior results in greater punishment. This story covers some complicated topics, and I respect that.

Aggregator gang
It caught me off guard with how open they were about their family, but wow.

I can't wait for the official US release

Aggregator gang
This arc is fantastic, really takes the manga to the next level! It actually made me realize something about parenting; that making a small child realize the seriousness of their misbehavior (and hence having them experience guilt this way) is not very effective at all, and should rather be replaced with something very simple that also demonstrates that it's pointless to misbehave just in order to get attention or make a point. The Shimizus' system of punishment makes it so that doing it on purpose will not spite anyone other than the perpetrator. It's brilliant in its simplicity.

@Kaarme
Might have to do with the fact that wheat dough, tomatos, and cheese never were staple ingredients in the history of Japanese cuisine (mainly for geographical reasons), so in a society so burdened by tradition pizza retains that pervasive flair of foreignness that's really hard to shake despite how simple a dish it is. Things like this also happen a lot in cultures more open to eclecticism; e.g. a lot of things are for some reason hard to find in the US that I'm used to eating as staple ingredients in my home cuisine despite the fact that a lot of the people who migrated there in the 40s and 50s shared them. E.g. anyone who is well-familiar with German or French varieties of bread, or basically any dairy products popular in the Eastern Europe and Middle East aside from the basic yogurts, will find the usual American counterparts... lacking, to put it mildly. Anything that deviates from the popular formula there immediately becomes a chase item and will raise eyebrows at a shared table.

Dex-chan lover
The couple really are open, almost to an unrealistic degree but that may be my own bias, especially since the whole point of this is to build support systems for their mental illness.

Double-page supporter
Interesting. We get two different kinds of self-injury behaviour in this chapter: suicidal and attention-seeking.

There are other kinds as well, such as the kind where the pain (physical or emotional) is sought to fill an emotional void within the person, or where it is intended to distract from other uncomfortable feelings. There are also those who self-harm to "punish" themselves for something they perceive as a mistake or a bad behaviour, and the kind where violence (again, physical or emotional) is turned inwards in order to avoid hurting others.

When treating self-harm behaviour, it's important to understand what triggers it, why the person harms themselves. Also, not all self-injury behavior takes the skape of cutting, although that is by far the most recognisable type. It can be other forms of physical harm inflicted on oneself, which may or may not leave scars, and it can also be other types of risky behaviour of many different kinds that has the potential to harm the person. It is not always easily recognisable as self-harm.

Dex-chan lover
@vannn I would say going through a bunch of life and death crises made them that open by necessity.

@moozooh Yeah. They are probably luckier treating pizza like that. It's not exactly healthy food. Although young people deserve to eat pizza more often.

As a parent, your first assumption is that your child, made from your genes will be like you. But they are a completely different person, just like how you are different from your parents. But when you become a parent you still fall into the trap that if you explain things they will think like you, again doesn't happen that way. What you think is important, is not so to them and visa-versa.

The over-sharing makes me uncomfortable, especially the dude talking about his wife like that. I'd feel humiliated if I were her; that's my private shit.

Oh yeah and the consistency with rules is very good, but don't force an autistic child to eat food they're not comfortable with. They tend to have sensory issues that can make certain textures unbearable. His tossing the slice was a pretty understandable reaction; some kids would have gone full meltdown.

This clears up a lot about why they were so forward, they thought that Saitou cut herself for attention and that Yokoi didn't understand the situation. From their perspective it was extremely urgent to have a talk with them. Also explains over-sharing

Double-page supporter
That attention seeking wrist cutting is indeed a problem in today's society.
But anyway, how is an autistic 5yo, who probably hates going in public, going to use allowance?

Dex-chan lover
@delaprd my guess is that the kid didn’t really think that far ahead. Most kids don’t, they just sort of learn how to at some point. All he probably knows is that having money is a good thing and he wants it. Or his parents could buy stuff for him but he has to pay for it himself.

Double-page supporter
aww ;-;
i like the shimizus, they're a lil weird but they're good parents ♥
this arc really offers a different perspective on some things

Aggregator gang
This makes me question my previously held belief that i should do everything in my power to not pass my autism on to my child.

Dex-chan lover
That kid is definitely autistic

But that allowance system is bullshit

If this has a tragic ending I’m going to get recked, I know happy endings are common and overused but I like them that way

Dex-chan lover
i was also surprised by their openness. and it felt a little rude of the husband to talk about the attention seeking like that even if it is true. that new volume cover makes me worried though.

Users who are viewing this thread