Baki Rahen - Vol. 2 Ch. 16 - Upholding Aesthetics

Double-page supporter
Not surprised someone calls it mid, even I have a sort of thematic issue with Jack right now. Mainly the biting - as far as fighting styles go, biting's extremely one dimensional and kind of a wacky thing to bring to a fist fight, especially when teeth are made out of metal. Of course "everything goes" in Baki fights so wacky stuff isn't unusual, buuuuuut honestly biting's a boring choice. I hope that future fights are not going to be all about how soon Jack manages to take a bite out of his opponent.
The issue isn't really with Jack or his whole biting dudes (except Itagaki's constant pleading about how cool it actually is, like I swear half of every chapter is some dude talking about how cool biting is and I fucking get it at this point bro), just the chapters themselves being filled to the brim of shit I (and ig others) don't give a fuck about.

Don't care about whats his name coming back to run away from Hanayama, don't care about the hobo dude preaching about "real combat" for the 5000th thousand time, don't really care about Shinogi at all but at least his fight wasn't awful ig, don't need yet another chapter telling us how dedicated Jack is to winning because that's been 3/4 of this series so far.

Probably the best scene we've gotten so far in this was Jack and Yujiro having a brief conversation, even if was just talking about biting being cool again, straight up

I understood something.
Next One is Oliva. Someone who does not have any beautiful fighting method and only relies on strength

Double-page supporter
Not surprised someone calls it mid, even I have a sort of thematic issue with Jack right now. Mainly the biting - as far as fighting styles go, biting's extremely one dimensional and kind of a wacky thing to bring to a fist fight, especially when teeth are made out of metal. Of course "everything goes" in Baki fights so wacky stuff isn't unusual, buuuuuut honestly biting's a boring choice. I hope that future fights are not going to be all about how soon Jack manages to take a bite out of his opponent.
The whole thing about biting being like the martial art everyone can use feels shortsighted as well considering how exposed you are biting someone

Users who are viewing this thread