Berserk - Vol. 41 Ch. 359 - A Wall

jak

Contributor
Oh Guts... everytime you go near the love of your life, she sees evil pouring from you.

Double-page supporter
Snarky fairy made me actually look it up... it HAS been 20 years in the making...

Dex-chan lover
Part of me wanted that after the dream world arc Casca would be completely fine, she and Guts would be together all is fine... but at the same time i am relieved that Miura didn't just magicked her to be fine ( not that it surprises me, it is Miura we are talking about ), her wounds are as much mental as they are spiritual, what Casca suffered cant be just swiped under the rug, she was as betrayed as was Guts and her mind body and spirit brutally hurt by someone that she admired, loved and was prepared to forfeit her own happiness to help, so her arc to recuperation is much anticipated.

......... FUCK YOU GRIFFITH.

Puck is the author throwing shade on himself about how much time ago the past arc happened in comparison to the in storytime, that is some 3 to 4 years tops.

Dex-chan lover
@GodlyCash

I actually read the whole manga for the first time last month. So I think I can judge the whole series better than you do. I have no pink nostalgic-glasses on and the whole story is fresh in my mind.

Fact is, that the story is very straightforward:
Guts is born to some filthy woman, gets taken in by a mercenary who Guts sees as his father. But this father figure lets Guts get raped by one of his men, which starts Guts trauma and his issues with intimacy and trust. Guts kills his ’father‘ in a rage of emotion, and finds a new band of mercenarys. All of them remain pale, bland, boring characters, except for Griffith and Casca. But even those two get barely any characterization:
Griffith is a god-like person who wants to rule a kingdom. That‘s his goal which has priority over everything else. That’s it. Wow, how original. /s
The rest of his character is just „tell, not show“, which is the exact opposite of what a storyteller should do. There is no reason to believe, that Griffith is so great, except that the mangaka tells us we should believe that.
Casca is a random chick, who got saved by Griffith and her whole character revolves around being a fangirl of Griffith, without him ever even acknowledging her. That is, until she falls in love with Guts, which doesn‘t last long and she loses her memory and mind, because she got raped by Griffith. The rest of the story she is a useless idiot and rape-bait.

The whole Golden Age-Arc is a worse version of the manga Kingdom: there is no strategy in the battles at all, it‘s always just the same pattern: strong enemy gets introduced, Guts beats him, while Griffith has somehow crafted a genius tactic that wins the battle, though we never see his strategies in detail (like in Kingdom). The mangaka just tells us we should believe he is such a great general.
Yeah right.

Then comes the whole thing with the princess and Griffith’ attempt to overthrow the kingdom. That was actually my favorite arc in the manga. Finally some actual, clever storywriting. Didn‘t last long though, Griffith gets tortured, Guts & Co. rescue him, yada yada, aaaaand eclipse. Was decent enough, especially the artwork. Somewhere between we get Guts who leaves his friends, because.... reasons.
But ultimately the eclipse was disappointing. Simply because we never get a real sense of friendship between the guys in the band of hawks. It‘s all just too shallow and superficial. So the ultimate sacrifice in the eclipse falls flat.

The rest of the story we return to the present timeline, where Guts becomes a softie and gets friends, like in some damn Shounen. Throw in lots of fanservice (mindless gore and rape) and you have the whole story after the GA arc.

Then comes the Fantasia-Arc, which actually got me excited. Those chapters (I think, between 300-310 somewhere?) were great. All those fantastical monsters on the loose, awesome! .....unfortunately, the story so far is just too boring. No excitement, no adventure-feeling. And the character-arcs are not progressing at all.

I only still read because of the artwork and because I want to know how it ends (IF it ever ends).

Knew all along that Miura was hyping up this shit to lead to this chapter, but that panel with Gut's face still left me destroyed. Fuck man, why cant he ever get a break? Even when he's dead he'll be dragged to hell by apostles or something for being branded. Being Guts is suffering, and reading Berserk is also suffering because of the hiatus. In the back of my mind I was thinking that he'd bring us towards the end of the series by giving Guts a happy ending. Also he's working on a new series lol cant wait till mid 2020 for chapter 360.

Aggregator gang
For Fucks sakes Miura just get someone to help you in the story to speed up the releases. It's been 3 to 4 years since you released a chapter. Finally you release a chapter but letting everyone know now that you are now making a new manga story. Miura really needs to co op with another author or his family to help with the drawings and paneling, story he can do.

Double-page supporter
Until now Casca was apain in the ass, now she becomes super nice and understanding, and Guts, who was very protective, now becomes a dick.

I think it is the yin-yang duality in the Asian mindset, there has two be some twin duality of never meeting in the middle. Guts has to become the asshole now.

Quite the stupid cliché. Miura lost his orginality, if you ask me.

I'm sure there will be great fights and whatnot, but the story just went to shit. Correction: the quality started declining a (long) while ago. The most obvious sign of this is the rarity of new chapters.

Dex-chan lover
I swear Miura is fucking heartless, not only does he stab us in the heart he twist the blade.

Dex-chan lover
@Reichenberg What the fuck are you talking about? How is he an asshole for hiding because his mere image triggers her trauma or for walking away after being reminded of that? What the hell do you expect him to do?

@Mnuchiboo I know you are only venting, but please do try to stay courteous

@MangaField While I found your reasoning to be somewhat sound, I find that it severly lacking the insight, that you are talking about your own take on the story, and while you have every right to be entitled to your own opinion, praytell what exactly allows you to be a better "judge" of the series?
Like you said, you just read everything through, while we grew up with it, that fact alone means our very perception of Berserk is different and thus any attempt to compare them, superfluous.
I am not criticising the crux of your opinion, only the way you phrase it, such as using words like "judge", and presenting your every sentences as "facts" and not what they truly are: subjective uptakes on the unfolded events.
That, of course goes for me, you, heck even Miura sensei's opinion might only be as "important" as ours, since it is only through its readers than a story finally takes substance.

I apologise if my words somehow offended you, it was not my intention. I only wanted to vent on the way people usually express their opinions.

Feel free to disregard my vain ranting, I bid you good day.

Users who are viewing this thread