Berserk - Vol. 41 Ch. 359 - A Wall

@Reinchenberg I concur with @Acolytus, what the hell are you spewing about Guts being an ass? He is only the victim of Casca's trauma, which makes her see him like depicted in the chapter. Other than that I do not find that the quality suffered, but I can only join you in lamenting the lack of chapters. Only as a greedy leech though.

Dex-chan lover
If this series continues, something tells me there's a big wave of sadness and suffering coming. It's been so flowery and high fantasy for so long now, that you just know that a big low is soon to follow

Dex-chan lover
holy shit this is pathetic
Miura has lost his art style, everything looks horrible now
the story is also a disaster, what was the point of that sparring session, this feels rushed and uninteresting
Miura does not deserve any new work, he is a below average mangaka now

Guts' face...my heart was SHATTERED
Our boy guts and casca have been through too much but the worst part is that they can't be there for each other in a way that's really crucial in order to help heal the wounds and cope with the trauma
If I recall, for guts, too, when the eclipse incident was recent he couldn't really think of anything else even when he looked at casca. For Casca the incident has a lot of deep significance - for her and guts, the experience meant different things and she understandably is not in any condition to handle it since she did not have time to sort through the trauma and find ways to cope yet. it's just heartbreaking that guts himself is a trigger for it even though they both care about each other so much. UAGh my heart is in pieces

Dex-chan lover
Why are we still here ? Just to suffer. Every 3-4 months ...

Double-page supporter
@Acolytus If your GF went insane and then regained her sanity, would you just walk away?

Rape victims can not face or resolve their truma ever? IDK how much time passed in the manga, but the Eclipse was long ago.

Turns out, no matter the merry company accompanying Guts all that time, he is still a deeply trumatized, wounded man. Guess wounds cannot heal. At all. Ever.

What a great message. Now that thinking about it, Guts' trauma is to an extent thanks to him being raped when he was a child. That seems to be a defining factor of who he is. Rape.

Rape and violence.

Aggregator gang
Time for another tearjerker chapter like the one with flower spirit healing his wounds and thereby expiring her lifeforce by using her petals.

Dex-chan lover
Guess now it is Caska time to deal with triggered ptsd episodes now that she regained her all memories. 😥

And Skull Knight is here probably to bring more bad news...

Dex-chan lover
This chapter really had me at a high and then brought me to a crashing low... I guess Guts must always suffer, no matter what. And we are right there with him.

Besides that, WOOHOO SKULL KNIGHT IS BACK BABY! But ANOTHER manga project? We doing this again? Might as well teach myself to draw and by the time the next chapter comes along I'll be good enough to just draw my own Berserk chapters, at ten times the speed.

Dex-chan lover
@Fenrire

My point was, that I can judge the series more clearly than people who have read the manga since years and attached emotions to it. I mean, just the boat-memes are an entire culture in itself. Meanwhile, I‘ve read the boat-chapters in like 3 days, so I have an entirely different perspective than people who spent years „on the boat“.
Thing is, that there isn‘t happening much in the story, even after decades (in real life). The GA arc saw the biggest character development, the 200 chapters since then can be summarized into „Guts collects friends alá One Piece, slays monster in fanservice-fashion, and some girls get raped by penis-monster“. That‘s the entire story, and yet people are calling it a „masterpiece“. That‘s what grinds my gears.

Dex-chan lover
@Reichenberg Did you ever read the fucking manga or did you just show up in this comment section to complain about some random thing?

Guts is walkig away from her because SEEING HIM TRIGGERS HER TRAUMA. He can't even hold a conversation with her without making her suffer. Of course he is not going to stand there by her side while she is having a panic attack from just looking at him.

First, the Eclipse wasn't that long ago as far as the manga timeline cares, it happened like 3 years ago, and, second, in case you missed it, Casca spent all that time as someone with the intelligence of a baby and no understanding of who she was so obviously she didn't have the time to recover from that. Traumas can be overcome but not in two fucking hours.

Even then, you are right that wounds never heal completely but you can do things to make them less painful, like finding someone you can love and who loves you back or having good friends, two things Guts did and that contributed to him being way less of an edgelord. That's the fucking message: you can't forget about your traumas but you can meet people and experience things that allows you to move forward despite that.

Honestly, I don't know what the fuck you read but it clearly wasn't this chapter.

@MangaField
I get what you're saying, honestly. I started reading Berserk in 2003, so it's been 15 years and I've had the same thoughts as you. It's a deeply flawed work that meanders needlessly through boring arcs and I've been thinking for a long time that Miura hates this story and all its fans. Sometimes it feels like he's just being a jerk on purpose, with the long hiatuses and painful cliffhangers.

I got really irritated when, after all this time of Casca being addle-brained, the instant she's brought back we suddenly have to visit Griffith instead of seeing the reunion that we've waited for, literally, for over a decade. Now, any actual fan of the series knew damn well that Casca and Guts wouldn't have a "Hollywood" reunion, but that abrupt change in location felt, to me, like Miura being a complete dick on purpose.

He's tried to write other stories, and every one of them fails. Now he's trying again, and it will probably fail. His fans only want Berserk and I think he's sick of it. I also think that his attitude towards Berserk has been on display for a long time. It's not nearly as interesting as it used to be, and reading it now feels more like a habit than anything exciting.

And you're right that you've got a more objective perspective than us long-timers, but I'm in complete agreement with you, too. Berserk ain't what it used to be.

Users who are viewing this thread