Berserk - Vol. 42 Ch. 373 - Rusted Iron Bands Unable To Push On

Dex-chan lover
Well those guys that are invading the boat should be good guys, didn't the God slapper go with them to do something? I wonder if they have a plan, or something at all to fight against Griffith

Dex-chan lover
People don't understand they're preparing Guts to become Skull Knight 2.0 here.
That's the only possible way to defeat Griffith. This desperation is a must.
Bear with it for now. If you're an old fan of Berserk you're already used to it, waiting for months. It's no problemo lol

Dex-chan lover
page 10-12 - miura would be proud of how genuine guts's anger and frustration is being subtly conveyed here
page 20 - a bit early to tell but I don't think miura would have paneled the scene like this.

Dex-chan lover
Place your bets on how many “Im dropping berserk” announcements we’ll get this chapter!

But on topic Guts really needs a few more good moments to rise back up, it’s a shame this arc happened right in the middle of Miura’s passing, because it makes it feel more depressing.
What’s the over/under?
It better be high. I count myself as having dropped it around the time everyone turned into the cast of the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon series.
I’m just m note of how much further it’s sunk.

Honestly, I don’t think it should have continued past The Eclipse.

My fav version of Berserk is the OG anime, but skipping the first episode. Escalating stakes and weirdness until everything goes insane, the end. Then again, I play Drakengard a few times a year, and watching the anime in that manner is a similar experience.
The anime is better, in that it is good. That game is a hot mess.

Wow! This is doing numbers!
I sincerely feel and stand by my opinions here, but y’all makin me laugh at how sensitive you are to someone not liking your fav comic book.
”Someone doesn’t like something as much as me! WEEEEEEH!”
…Aight

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
People don't understand they're preparing Guts to become Skull Knight 2.0 here.
That's the only possible way to defeat Griffith. This desperation is a must.
Bear with it for now. If you're an old fan of Berserk you're already used to it, waiting for months. It's no problemo lol
Eh. I think the tragic nihilism of ending at The Eclipse is better than anything that came after.

Yet another “cycle of creation and destruction” isn’t for me. Played too much Souls.

Chosen Undead, Ashen One, Hunter, Branded One…

Just when I thought Guts was going to finally smile after seeing Casca recovered, all this shit happens.
Damn

Dex-chan lover
I think Casca is only half to the equation, Guts is also shocked his swordsmanship has zero effect on Griffith. Being able to swing a sword throughout his life is what allowed him to live through difficult times. Getting raped? Gut the rapist with a sword. Need money? Be a mercenary with good sword skills. Protect your woman against monsters? Swing that slab of iron and kill apostles. His confidence must be broken after how his mastery over his sword is no longer something he can trust to fight the obstacle before him.
Oh yeah absolutely, I agree. It's like everything he found reliable (Casca being safe, his sword, the child that'd help him every so often) is no longer reliable at all.

Dex-chan lover
People are talking about why Guts stopped swinging his sword against Griffith so here's my take:
It could simply be because of Casca but what I haven't seen anyone talking about is because Griffith basically appeared out of his son. Even if he takes the kid as a common child, he must be very confusing why it suddenly transforms into Griffith.

Anyway, great chapter! I'm really curious on how Guts gets a power up because he really needs one.

And again: Lets be grateful for these chapters. I'm sure the Studio and Mori are giving it their best.

Double-page supporter
Dang, when is the last time we saw these dudes? I actually forgot about them

Aggregator gang
Casca part I get, but it's not like this is the first time he couldn't slash Griffith. Back when he fought the slug count guy he still had the same Dragonslayer sword didn't he, and back then he also couldn't hit Femto in the God Hand dimension.
Maybe he should have taken that Axe the witch offered him..
But that was Femto's power that he couldn't kill him because he tried back then. Here he hesitated to attack Griffith and Casca was taken away because of this.

Fed-Kun's army
That's right, Guts. Just embrace your kyuubi mode already.
Above average chapter btw.

Dex-chan lover
I though the Kushans might be vassals from Silat that he ordered to bring Guts to him and Rickert but idk

Dex-chan lover
I though the Kushans might be vassals from Silat that he ordered to bring Guts to him and Rickert but idk
Oh shit you're right, I remember there was a set up for Silat to be a neutral faction after Ganishka turned into the world tree.
We might see the Kushan Empire in future chapters then.

Dex-chan lover
I don't know if anyone missed it. But Guts haven't said a single word so far in all the recent chapters
He hasn't said a single word. He's thought a good deal of things, and they've been substantial thoughts.

It doesn't feel like events have any sort of connection anymore. The story has turned into "and then this happens". Casca regains her memory, and then Griffith kidnaps her, and then island disappears, and then kushan pirates arrive out of nowhere.
@Arx724

While it's the case that Mori and company having thinner recall in certain areas can lead to what you're describing, that's not something that's happened yet. The last chapter Miura penned involved the Moonlight Child transforming into Griffith, and the chapter after involved promptly kidnapping Casca, but it's clearly explained why the island disappears after Griffith and his posse leave. What happens to Casca after she's brought into Falconia is the way it is because Casca isn't completely lucid. Complaining about the Kushan pirates suddenly showing up, when their significance has yet to be explored, is just premature.

This isn't disconnection-- it's posing two questions ("why did Griffith kidnap Casca", "why are the Kushan pirates invading the ship") to be answered later. Everything that's happened in this short stretch of chapters absolutely follows, and while what you're describing can happen in the future, the complaint right now (especially when there's no description of how much granularity you'd want) comes off as (and I mean this neutrally) a disguised expression of the awkward/sad feeling you have about Berserk continuing without Miura.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Now, my two cent: they take to much chapters to show the suffering of Guts and too much theatrical. Guts never stopped, neither right after the Eclipse, at least he should ask to Schierke if there is a somehow to kill the son of a bitch before to despair...

Users who are viewing this thread