Beware of the Brothers!

The coments this webtoon sparked I think they are a good reaserch read on the adopted sibling love theme :))).
I read some manga and even some french books with this kind of theme. And I think what they all had in common is that you kind of get the ideea of this love from the begining and it's written so it makes you wang to cheer for them. But here, it's a bit strange: at first she is adopted and tormented by her brothers, then she goes back in time only to see her again tormented and gradually get honest with her adopted familly. Now she is happy and can proudly say that she belongs to the familly , only to start torment her more that she falls for her elder brother ? This is a strange plot amd yes, like many of you stated I don't really see why the ML is Eugene, where does the author even want to point? I am a bit curious to see how and why and if it will be like in the novel, because we all know at some point the webtoon might take a different path from the novel.

@hightide
imo it's still unsure, but I really hope it's not the case. I agree with you, I'd really hate that.

I don't mind step brother/step sister relationships usually, but I feel like this one would be really forced and hard to accept, it comes out of nowhere. Not only did she grow up with him and lived 22 years (if you account for her past life) with him as brother figure, but also the whole point of the story was to be a heartwarming story about an adopted sister becoming their real sister. It defeats the whole purpose of the story if she ends up marrying him in the future. We already had a ML (her previous fiance) so there was really no need to turn this nice and wholesome family story into an incest story.

@selendom
I agree. I don't think the incestuous relationship is the problem per se. There are tons of story like that already and I really don't have a problem with them usually. It's just that in this case it feels really forced. We were introduced a first ML (her ex fiance), she kept repeating since the beginning that she wants her family to accept her as a sister... the whole story was going in that direction. And now out of nowhere after the timeskip the brother suddenly becomes the ML. It feels weird, and we weren't in there for that. Not to mention that, as I said, it defeats the whole purpose of the story : it was a cute and heartwarming story about an adopted sister becoming their real sister, the incest really was unneeded. It feels just as bad as those creepy mangas that starts as a really cute and heartwarming story about a father adopting a daughter, just to derail into a creepy incestuous relationship.

Contributor
It's always funny to read comments on manga like this, with people who are shocked by a relationship after 40 chapters and want to drop it when it was extremely obvious how it would be since the first chapter.

As for myself, i'm open to everything in a story, as long as it's good, or nicely done, so i have no problem here for now, even if the pacing is slow.

@Siquall sorry, i usually don’t try to read into siblings relationships like that, and without a tag to indicate it and the blue haired guy, you know.

I think this manhwa is really cute, but I'm still conflicted about the relationship since Aria (from hourglass villainess) said that you aren't considered family if your "siblings" have romantic thoughts or feelings for you since they wouldn't have such things for a real sibling. Idk, it's just that I think Hari and Eugene have good chemistry but he said he considered her as part of his family, so I'm not sure what to think. Ig Aria's just too big brain for me

Group Leader
Wow, this begins much darker and more melancholic than i thought it would. It has its bright moments but it’s not exactly a story that aims to bring the warm and fuzzies within the first few dozen chapters

I'd feel unconfortable too if I had a shadow following everywhere I go even in my own house! I feel sorry for him too. If this keeps on going he shall fall for her and get rejected.

Contributor
@Helen_Brite
I'd feel uncomfortable too if I had a shadow following everywhere I go even in my own house!
Isn't that what a shadow literally does regularly? Is that not how lighting works, both natural and artificial? /Yes, I know what you actually meant, it just seemed funny to imagine a non-child being terrified of their own shadow.

I'm finding the comments so funny and the fact that peaple are feeling strange about the brother route. kkkk
Guys!! From the moment in CHAPTER ONE when she says Eugene stood quiet looking at her in a bride's dress AND REFUSED to walk her to the altar it was OBVIOUS he was the one who loved her. Then a few chapters later, she remembered how Eugene used to stand beside her watching her sleep in the coutch and wearing a sad expression in his face and that they used to walk holding arms... it was CONFIRMED he really loved her as a woman!!
Were you reading this paying attention to what you were reading?? Because it's not forced. It was ALWAYS there for anyone who wanted to see it. Their relationship is hinted from the very beginning!

Code:
Mod Note: Please use spoiler tags when talking about chapter-specific or future events.

@Helen_Brite, My point exactly, thats what I thought as well, it was always present in the story that eugene have held her in a stance even in her older life. Thats why it wasnt really weird to me, but i guess some are uncomfortable since she always call him "brother".

Code:
Mod Note: Please use spoiler tags when talking about chapter-specific or future events.

awwww he always loved her :( and if he couldn't have her he wanted her to at least marry into a good family. SO SADDDDDDD poor eugene

Code:

@lindty Exactly! You saw it right. That's what really happened back then in her other life.
He couldn't marry her because he needed the power of his finacée's family to protect his brothers ans sister. Same thing he is doing right now. Just remember their own family tried to separate them and tried to kill Eugene over their domain. People seem to forget that.

Code:

since there are people saying that there’s been foreshadowing of the “true ML” for a while, i won’t consider the “sudden change” in ML as something i don’t like about the direction this manhwa is taking. but i agree with what @/kekitus said about the romance subplot defeating the purpose of the story if it DOES go down that route.

call me blind for not being able to see the foreshadowing, but i’ve always perceived this story’s focus as one about a girl being accepted by her family after being unable to do so in her first life. i can’t help but feel like going down this route will cause the romance to greatly overshadow the development the family had undergone. it feels as if the story is saying that they were able to accept her because
they held a romantic interest for her, and not because they realised that she wasn’t there as a replacement, but as someone who yearned for a platonic family love from her new family.

i won’t drop it yet since we don’t know whether the manhwa will deviate from the supposed novel’s plot, but i would be really sad if it did. i loves this story because i felt like it did a wonderful job of making you appreciate the family bonds the cast built with each other, so it’s difficult for me to view it as a “buildup to romance” instead, all because of how the romance is supposed to go in the end.

Code:

@Satsumiko I think most people didn't see the "foreshadowing", and that's why so many people are complaining about it. So yeah, the change definitely feels super sudden for a lot of people (from what I've seen in the comments), me included.

@Helen_Brite
Guys!! From the moment in CHAPTER ONE when she says Eugene stood quiet looking at her in a bride's dress AND REFUSED to walk her to the altar it was OBVIOUS he was the one who loved her.

It was not "obvious" at all when it was explained that all three brothers used to bully her and hate her for being a replacement for their sisters. Most readers saw this as just another sign that she wasn't accepted by her family yet.

Then a few chapters later, she remembered how Eugene used to stand beside her watching her sleep in the coutch and wearing a sad expression in his face and that they used to walk holding arms... it was CONFIRMED he really loved her as a woman!!

Again it was not obvious at all. He lost her sister and she looks just like her. Looking at her with a sad face or being melancholic is to be expected. Most people didn't see this as a "confirmation" that he is in love with her.

The overwhelming majority of people won't see romance when looking at two siblings relationship (thankfully), unless it's made really obvious by the author. Go back to read the comments in the early chapters and you will see that it was not "obvious" at all, nobody was talking about incest back then. It's easy to say that the foreshadowing was "obvious" 40 chapters later when the plot developed to this point, or when you've read the LN and you know about the story. But if these two pieces of informations are all the "foreshadowing" we were supposed to pick up then forgive me for saying this but the author did a terrible job at writing the story.

You can't really blame people for not picking up such tiny details, especially seeing the whole context of the story, and especially when a first ML was introduced way back then. And you can't blame them either when they feel uneasy (or straight out grossed out) when the story that they thought was about family bonds, about a girl trying her best to be accepted by her forster family, suddenly turns into incest after 40 chapters.

Code:

@Kekitus I don't get it at all. I wasn't the only one who saw this coming. I used to read in another site and many people there thought the same. When you read so much manga/manhwa/manhua you start to guess what will happen. Let's be honest, this is all too cliché. So when the author begins to give us some hints, we pay attention. A lot of people saw those hints and began to wonder who the ML truly was and as the story progressed it bacame kinda obvious.

Code:

Users who are viewing this thread