Beware the Villainess! - Vol. 1 Ch. 32

Dex-chan lover
Isn't Melissa the future empress, technically since she's still engaged, that alone should make her most valuable person in the empire
Also Yuri and Nine are too cute I hope they stay here longer 😍

Dang Melissa... Nine and the maid was like..
{\ ......../} Melissa {\ ......../}
( * v *) / ****** \ (* v * )
< ) ~~~) ******* ( ~~~(>

It's a sad thing that Nine will get his tongue back but we're unable to listen to his voice 😞

Dex-chan lover
...So because the author of the novel only said their characters were X, instead of showing their characters were X, this is what happens.

Just a reminder for any aspiring novelists/writers out there, you need to show your audience, instead of telling them.

But didn't she already answer a couple questions last chapter to make Peacock think the item was a sword? (And in this one she says not to lie)

Was thinking that it might have been an entirely different sword that is just as valuable, and doesn't count as a weapon because it is merely ornamental.

@ooph9quu you are correct in that regard. However, the judge is Yuri. She is not an imperial standard and would indeed agree that the worth of a human is beyond jewels. Of course, Peacock could’ve tried to butt in but then he’d make a fool of himself looking desperate AND also second-guessing Yuri, which is a very poor move when his goal is trying to woo her.

Not even Peacock would be bold enough to second-guess the judge when he’s already been backed into a corner, exposed as potentially cheating and also dismissing the worth of human life with his potential interjection. That would be digging his own grave in social standing if the news spread around on top of destroying his chance in getting Yuri since...he’s not very smart nor eloquence enough and his plot armor gets dismantled by Melissa.

In other words...Melissa completely played his ass from start to finish.

Dex-chan lover
@Melodos
@ooph9quu
To add to that, keep in mind that in some terms, EVERYONE has a worth, if your talking what a person's net worth is (which her family being rich nobles would definitely put her as very valuable), or depending on the country a marriage dowry would depend on the husband or wife depending on the nation, if the husband paid the wife's family a dowry, then the first statement still applies.

@Multitules nah, the questions that he asked were :

Is your item worth at least 50 million gold ? —she answered yes; she's ”AT LEAST“ worth that much .

and

Is your item beautiful even when covered by something worn and shabby ? in which case she answered yes as well, since she think of herself as beautiful no matter what she wear.

Double-page supporter
@ooPh9quu Clearly he doesn't know that, and to be honest he wasn't being fair either. He wasn't welcome, and yet he still stuck around. Yuri couldn't say anything due to the financial problems he could cause her if she was the one to say "fuck off," but Melissa doesn't have that issue. And since she is the one that earns his ire instead of Yuri, Yuri's home and family wouldn't(or rather shouldn't) be in trouble. He was being scummy from the get go, and while fighting fire with fire isn't always the answer the answer also doesn't necessarily need to be water. Rules of diplomatic engagement. Outwit your opponent in a way where they can't bite you, and if you can't completely win(or would rather be on good terms with them) then make sure they gain something in return in such a way where they think it was an even exchange, regardless of whether or not it actually was even.

Did like how the author address the fact that some stories would play up a character's brilliance or cunning, but then never ever demonstrate it beyond perhaps an offhanded attempt that just makes them look only competent at best.

Dex-chan lover
eat it scum!
I'm very simple enough though I'm an aspiring written myself. I appreciate that line of dialogue. it's really fun to poke at

Supporter
@StandardInfantry Yeah, I've read so many stories where the MC is described as this unparalleled genius of the century that gets outsmarted by literally every other character all the time and keeps falling for obvious traps.

Users who are viewing this thread