Beware the Villainess!

Man, I dropped this around chapter 4 or so at first because it focused too much on Melissa’s funny faces and only had one-sided conversations until then since none of the true main cast had shown up yet - really glad I resumed this out of boredom again, it’s definitely worth it.

I mean I already dropped it so I have left, yeah.

But, fine, if you and your friend want an argument for you to ignore while you're patting each other on the back, I'll go into further detail about what's wrong with the story.

Besides the atrocious pacing and out-of-place memes, the main character Melissa is ultimately a bully. She is a bully who has had to put up with bullies, but that simply makes her the worst sort of bully... the kind that will never see themselves as anything other than a victim. Because they've been bullied too, they're convinced of their self-righteousness and that all of their actions are justified purely because clearly the people they are attacking deserve it. That was the point of saying that she is not just out to teach them lessons, but that she then attacks them once she's made them vulnerable, because she's not out to just stop their bad behavior, she's out to hurt them and enjoy their suffering. That's bullying.

It's also utterly laughable that you throw out the excuse that "But Yuri approved of Melissa fighting all her battles for her!" Yeah, just like Yuri would have approved of one of the guys' behavior in the crappy otome novels Melissa was reading before being reincarnated. Like I said, she's just like them, right down to the author being on her side and having characters dote on her despite behavior that would drive a real person away. The series tries to say "These behaviors wouldn't be so great if you actually had to put up with them", while doing the exact same with Melissa, who would be an absolute nightmare if you actually had to live with her but because she's pretty and presented as the dashing hero you blind yourself to her faults and unabashedly praise her as a stunning and brave protagonist. It's either a brilliantly subtle gotcha to the whole concept or one of the most unselfaware self-owns I've ever seen.

In fact Yuri's whole thing is hilarious because Melissa gripes about the bad writing of Yuri being expected to shape herself to one of those jerks, but Yuri simply winds up shaping herself to a different jerk, Melissa. Her personality becomes little more than a reflection of Melissa's, and her entire presence in the comic becomes about trying to please Melissa. "I can protect myself" she declares to Jake, when she has never, ever once done that, and in fact her first really significant presence in the series is Melissa needing to come save her. She has so far not handled a single situation without Melissa, or actually initiated any sort of action or plan of her own, absolutely everything she has done has been at Melissa's behest or in support of one of Melissa's plans. She, like Nine, has no life or existence outside of the main character, her sole characterization is Potential Love Interest.

Basically, there is absolutely nothing different about this series as compared to one of the chauvinist screeds it's mocking other than that the protagonist is gender-flipped. The protagonist is still a manipulative bully who takes others for granted and has shallow love interests swooning over them in spite of it, she just has better hips and hair than they usually do.

@Flamebird Read the story that this is based off of, it will make way more sense once you realise
the main heroine has been reincarnated over and over repeating the scenarios and can indeed protect herself
=P

HOLY SHIT MANGADEX ADDED THE "VILLAINESS" THEME 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! 😍😍😍😍😍

@Flamebird

Don't want to clog up the comments section so you'll find my thoughts and argument in your DMs :)

XOXO

Edit: Decided to block me after insulting me eh? Couldn't stand being not right?
94e02f136ad50816f16011bef4f9fad3a1aeb9e1.jpg

I sincerely hope that you learn to be a better person. Sending my wishes and prayers.

Also if anyone is curious to what a sent him that made him so angry then feel free to DM me. I have nothing to hide 😊 oh and sorry for continuing this discussion. I'll try not to let it happen again.

war in the comment section! lol this reminds me of that dude who commented on every chapter of VIllainess Reverses the Hourglass novel saying Aria deserved to die because she was truly evil 😅

Flamebirds actually pointed out very interesting fact about this webtoon, spoke the true nature of its story, and I quite agree for some of it. I hope you guys don't find every discussions as nothing important, as in "if you don't like it better drop it", or way of thinking "get a life" or whatever shit because people simply stating their opinion. I mean, he didn't wrong. I see it as usually an argumen is, it's fine even the chosen words (at least, to me). I can't blame his taking-it-too-serious perspective because we see each other in different state. The only problem is he looks like barging in while everyone's having fiesta and fun. We also have the options to ignore him lol

Melissa is kind of strong character but we can also defines her like that. As a 'bully', it's true tho. But everything is overshadowed by other characters support her—justify her acts, if I may put it bluntly. And around the festival arc she proves it. Some people would cheers her up because it's normal towards "you-so-ugly-bastard exes, you deserve it!" kind of thing. And for the sakes of the story, you get this a comedy isekai. I don't particulary agree with her behavior but that's how the story is, right? Like except the webtoon has this serious tone and main plot. Lastly, I'll add "full of uncertainty" nature that surrounds this webtoon. I can't imagine how it will end and in what way. Note that communication is not the key here, almost impossible you'll see the four ugly male leads repent by themselves in the end either. I'm just afraid the author runs out an idea.

author and mc missed 1 option entriely nun outfit and then just airing out all his laundry in the open or atleast threaten him with it case closed
also after her room was "decorated" just burn it
even in medival society was it not good to have such laundry aired and driving your fiance to join a convent even if its only for a time was a major embarressment
and yes when a commoner joined the curch that was for live but nobles unless forced to could leaver after a short period of time

I'll just add in another "I got baited by the high score" comment. The story is fine, though I personally don't feel it lived up to the hype at all almost 40 chapters in. This is the stock isekai power fantasy, but with a female lead instead. It's barely even a villainess story at this point. I'd compare it to The World of Otome Games Is Tough for Mobs: protagonist spends way too much time going out of their way to personally berate the original story's main characters for how terrible their cliched existence is.

@goronyanpai

Alright fair, I can see how some people may see it as bullying but I personally see it as discipline. Because in my mind bullying is repeated harassment towards a weaker individual. Yuri was harassed by four full grown men who are clearly stronger than her and she honestly fits the "bully victim" role better than any of the men.

Melissa only stands up against them, with Yuri's consent, by doing one big thing towards them so they learn their lesson. She doesn't repeatedly harass them like a bully would from what I could tell. So that's why I personally don't think of her as a bully. She mostly either ignores them or just throws small remarks at them like any one would when confronted with characters like these.

Also my problem with Flamebird was more with the comment he made after his review where he said:

"Weird how applying all the same toxic masculinity traits to a woman that the negatively-viewed male characters have makes her a "yas kween" feminist icon, but oh well, I guess some people are just hypocrites."

I can't stand comments like this, especially after he said he would leave, so I decided to respond. He could have easily not made that comment and life would have went on but he didn't so yeah. Again I apologise for disrupting the "fiesta" going on but I simply could not sit by and let this behavior slide.

@K0013
I see, I see. Well, some people tend to overemphasize their statements and flamebirds did the same. I have my own way regarding this matter so what you guys do it's acceptable either way (as long as it doesn't turn into chaos). I think some people understand what they say so they act on purpose and the rest did it unknowingly. In my eyes, there are so many critical—uncontrollable—person besides him (not a new thing anymore especially on review sites like bakaupdates where everyone can join from low-rated gang to highly-praise gang) so if the chances the opposite player is difficult to handle may arise, I'll step back. Sorry for being passive, it's slowly tiring me out just think about it lol

It's okay, I don't mean it you guys ruin the whole mood. That's the purpose of forum in the first place. I'm just using supposition to explain.

Also, fair point about Melissa. I think my contradiction lies among those lines. At the same time I also treat her as the offensive, confident type to outrank the others. "Bullying" role is inevitable and anyway it's a gag. This is as far I have something to say about her tho, since my only concern is the plot in general.

I'm going to be honest, this isn't a 10/10 story, but the plot progresses satisfactory, the twists & changes throughout the story work well, and the gags land. The story has enough drama to carry itself and regardless of how well written the interactions and progress go the story has humor enough to be compelling to continue onwards. Id call it similar to a grindy MMO, you burn time to stave off boredom when you're too lazy to play something with heavy story.

It's no slow burn revenge story, it's not a dramatic masterpiece. It's the isekai version of fluff manga in the romance genre

Hmmm, looks like there is some problem in the comment section...there are some readers who read too deep into the story while some just enjoy the story and the gags...

In my opinion, Melissa is not really a ‘bully’ I think she’s more on the ‘disciplining’ side, I think someone said this before...though yes her ways are sometimes out of line that it might make her look like a ‘bully’...but though she can be out of line, they’re at the same time can be right...

Like...take the prince for example, I’d say he’s not a decent guy as he plays around with women while he already has a fiancé. Like seriously dude...! But I can’t really blame him as he is pampered as a prince...
Let’s take Peacock Melody as well...I’d say he’s the most disturbing guy...so I’d say he deserves it for being reprimanded by Melissa. He needs to realize that even though he is rich...it’s not like he can get anything he wants...

And as the case for Yuri...she was reincarnated over and over that she also knows the bad sides of the male characters. Though yes she can actually protect herself, we can’t actually know what goes on in her head...she might actually WANT to have at least one decent person to protect her...like somewhere she knows she can protect herself (and indeed she can) but...Argh! I think this is just one of those womanly instincts that I can’t quite put into words...

Yuri might just want to get revenge on the male leads for taking advantage of her during those lives she led with them in her past...and she’s happy to have someone else on her side like Melissa that is like a breath of fresh air for her and a friend...though maybe perhaps she also has some thing going on in her mind since she has reincarnated multiple times

Ahhh...! Don’t mind me...this is just my thoughts I’m not trying to justify anyone as this is JUST...again JUST a story with a lot of gags and funny revenge against funny and a little pathetic type of men...
So in conclusion : it has an interesting plot, with funny moments, and Melissa’s funny expression, and fluff moments....This is just a comedy comic to make people laugh and feel fluffy during romantic moments...

the plot's slow at first but finally pace picked up after
party/ball scene
and me no likey **ne
my ship isn't sailing dxmn!!! it's always like this!!!!!

how the f*ck did the duke get hundreds of pink heart-shaped balloons when it's clear that rubber products don't exist in this world???

I don't need sleep, I need answers.

Jesus what the fuck is wrong with this manwha hahahahaha

It took the shoujo, villainess, isekai trope and just spat all over it like it doesnt even matter its not gonna take anything seriously except the flaws white knighting male characters.

Want a female lead? Lets make it the villainess who makes the heroine fall for her. Have her adopt an ikemen softie as fuck sensitive and caring werewolf boy and have her train as a swordsman. And lets makes the 4 male capture targets and actually show that their behavior is fucking disgusting treating the heroine as an object not as a person. Bunch of psycho stalkers and egoistic male trope characters With their character flaw completely shown

This is like cheating men must die combined with bakarina.

Tho i do admit its slow as fuck and beginning did not make sense. So be ready to sit thru first 20 chapters or so coz it plays like those kinda cringy korean comedy show and if you arent in to that it will be kinda rough.

All in all I fucking love this.

This is so stupid, I tried reading until chapter 11 and all I see is shithole of a story. What the hell is this how did this shit get so popular

@pato lmao balloon that bothered you? not coin machine or whack a mole

Btw just binged this, its deserved its rating. people whining in the comments are common occurrence lmao

@getmepills later I realized that the world of this manga is literally as the author of the fictional romance novel wrote it... which is why all these anachronisms exist

Woah seems like one of the four bastards is trying to be a proper person :O Well, I'm cheering for that trashy prince :V Hope he'll recycle himself nicely

Users who are viewing this thread