Thank you for the chapter! So Wolfe is confirmed new harem member? Also

"Where were you last night?"
"Kickin' your ass."

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I'm sorry that you felt that way :(
So two quick questions:

1) Is it supposed to be Wolfe, or Wolf?
2) Can your TL work on telling the difference between formal speech and casual speech?

I know how he works, since I'm the one that told him about GPT in the first place. A little bit of user knowledge would smooth out some of the stiffness, at least.- like with "I could not see it". The rest is the weirdness is higher-level stuff that can't be fixed overnight.

Dex-chan lover
So two quick questions:

1) Is it supposed to be Wolfe, or Wolf?
2) Can your TL work on telling the difference between formal speech and casual speech?

I know how he works, since I'm the one that told him about GPT in the first place. A little bit of user knowledge would smooth out some of the stiffness, at least.- like with "I could not see it". The rest is the weirdness is higher-level stuff that can't be fixed overnight.
GPT works for manga panels now? I tried it a couple months back, and it seemed to fail greatly with ocr, not to mention figuring out (and thus labeling) the various panels and bubbles. So I decided it seemed inept for translating manga despite working really well for translating novels.

Double-page supporter
Okay, but we're still placing all our bets on Wolfe being the loli, right?
Radar.png

Alright ill take out the ol trusty Loli radar..... Ding yep Wolfes a Loli

Dex-chan lover
GPT works for manga panels now? I tried it a couple months back, and it seemed to fail greatly with ocr, not to mention figuring out (and thus labeling) the various panels and bubbles. So I decided it seemed inept for translating manga despite working really well for translating novels.
4o works really well for transcribing panels. Not perfect, but it's actually functional now. It can read the text quite well, and generally knows what order the bubbles go in. But even before 4o, we both knew we could use Google Lens to lift text off a page if we don't already know how to write it out, then paste it into the translator of our choice. I've got a whole tutorial on the TL process.

Note: Never use 4o for anything other than transcribing text. Hell, you may as well just stick to lens, if you don't mind the back and forth between windows. If you want the best translations from GPT, you need to use 4.

Dex-chan lover
4o works really well for transcribing panels. Not perfect, but it's actually functional now. It can read the text quite well, and generally knows what order the bubbles go in. But even before 4o, we both knew we could use Google Lens to lift text off a page if we don't already know how to write it out, then paste it into the translator of our choice. I've got a whole tutorial on the TL process.

Note: Never use 4o for anything other than transcribing text. Hell, you may as well just stick to lens, if you don't mind the back and forth between windows. If you want the best translations from GPT, you need to use 4.
wait, are you saying 4o actually translated worse than the prior version?

In that case, I take it you need to use 4o to post the entire page, with a prompt asking it to transcribe all dialogue in a format "panel# - bubble/non-bubble# - O if it is a bubble, X if it is a non-bubble: the actual text".
Then change window to 4 to paste it asking it to translate the jp to english.
Then switch back to 4o providing the translated text and tell it to replace the text from the first image with the translated text.
?
(because otherwise I wouldn't really say it is any better than before, as even before there were tools for ocr if you first cropped out each section manually - having a program label it for you. And then use any tool whatsoever to tl. And then manually replace the text - possibly having the program used to crop labeled images do it for you)

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
wait, are you saying 4o actually translated worse than the prior version?

In that case, I take it you need to use 4o to post the entire page, with a prompt asking it to transcribe all dialogue in a format panel# - bubble/non-bubble# - O if it is a bubble, X if it is a non-bubble.
Then change window to 4 to paste it asking it to translate the jp to english.
Then switch back to 4o providing the translated text and tell it to replace the text from the first image with the translated text.
?
(because otherwise I wouldn't really say it is any better than before, as even before there were tools for ocr if you first cropped out each section manually - having a program label it for you. And then use any tool whatsoever to tl. And then manually replace the text - possibly having the program used to crop labeled images do it for you)
Something about 4o just makes its overall performance worse. It can't follow instructions effectively, it's often repetitious with its outputs, and overall, it just seems to stick more to what they say than what they mean. I don't know how to describe it. But the point is that I've judged the outputs to be noticeably worse, even with context.

EDIT: Here's a snippet of my work with 4o
he image shows two sets of Japanese text, both followed by a heart symbol. Here are the transcriptions and translations for each set:
Left Column:
  • ざあこ (zaako)
  • ざあこ (zaako)
Right Column:
  • ざつこ (zatsuko)
  • ざつこ (zatsuko)

Translations:​

• ざあこ (zaako): This term can be translated as "loser" or "weakling," often used as an insult in a playful or teasing context.
  • ざつこ (zatsuko): This is less common and could be a playful variation, but it doesn’t have a widely recognized meaning in Japanese. It might be interpreted similarly to "zaako" given the context and structure.

Cultural Context:​

• The heart symbol at the end suggests a teasing or playful tone, common in manga or anime when characters are bantering or engaging in friendly rivalry.
If you have any specific context for where this is used, that might help refine the interpretation further!

Uploaded image

The image shows the Japanese phrase "寝不足" (nebuzoku).

Translation:​

"寝不足" translates to "lack of sleep" or "sleep deprivation."

Breakdown:​

• 寝 (ne): sleep
  • 不足 (fusoku): insufficiency, lack
This term is commonly used to describe a state where someone hasn't gotten enough sleep and is feeling tired or sleep-deprived.

Uploaded image

The image shows the Japanese phrase "最低" (saitei).

"最低" translates to "the worst" or "lowest."

• 最 (sai): most
  • 低 (tei): low
This term is often used to describe something or someone as being the worst or the lowest in quality, character, or performance. It can be used in various contexts, such as criticizing something or someone.

Uploaded image

The image shows the following Japanese text:
Copy code
…そんな奴
生きてても
仕方ねえな

"...A guy like that Even if he lives It's pointless."

• …そんな奴 (…sonna yatsu): "...a guy like that"
  • 生きてても (ikitetemo): "even if he lives" or "even if he's alive"
  • 仕方ねえな (shikata nee na): "it's pointless" or "there's no point"
This phrase conveys a strong negative sentiment towards someone, suggesting that their existence or survival is deemed worthless or meaningless. The casual, somewhat rough language ("仕方ねえな" instead of the more formal "仕方ないな") adds to the dismissive tone.

Uploaded image

Copy code
…俺の唯一
欲しいもの

"...The only thing I want"

• …俺の唯一 (…ore no yuiitsu): "...my only" or "...the only"
  • 欲しいもの (hoshii mono): "thing I want" or "desired thing"
This phrase indicates that there is one specific thing that the speaker desires, emphasizing its singular importance to them. The use of "俺" (ore) is a casual, masculine way of saying "I" or "my."

Uploaded image

Copy code
やっぱそう
こねーとなァ

"Yeah, that's right. You won't come, huh?"

• やっぱそう (yappa sou): "Yeah, that's right." or "I knew it."
  • こねーとなァ (ko nē to naァ): "You won't come, huh?" or "You aren't coming, are you?"
The phrase "やっぱそう" suggests a realization or confirmation of something expected. "こねーとなァ" is a casual, colloquial way of saying "You won't come," with a hint of resignation or disappointment. The casual and somewhat rough tone suggests an informal or familiar context.

They both form one sentence.

Got it. Combining the two lines into one sentence:
Copy code
やっぱそうこねーとなァ

"Yeah, I knew you wouldn't come."

• やっぱそう (yappa sou): "Yeah, I knew it."
  • こねーとなァ (ko nē to naァ): "you wouldn't come."

Combined Interpretation:​

The full sentence, "やっぱそうこねーとなァ," reflects a casual and resigned tone, indicating that the speaker expected the other person not to come and is now confirming this expectation. The tone is informal, suggesting familiarity between the speaker and the person they're addressing.

やっぱ、そうこないとな

The text is:
Copy code
やっぱ、そうこないとな

"Yeah, that's how it should be."

• やっぱ (yappa): "Yeah" or "as expected"
  • そうこないとな (sou konai to na): This phrase is a bit idiomatic. It can be interpreted as "that's how it should be" or "that's the way to go."

Combined Interpretation:​

The sentence "やっぱ、そうこないとな" expresses an agreement or realization that something is happening as it should or in the expected way. The tone is casual and familiar.

And yes, it busted out the code interpreter.

As for what I need to do personally, I just paste in the occasional sentence, along with my interpretation. More often than not, it's a PR tool for me. But occasionally, I'll miss the nuance of a word, like with 直線 vs. 直線上 (One means in a line, while the other means in a line to the exact line. I assumed it meant something about being above, since the characters also happened to be above the thing being described).

And no, 4o can't effectively edit images. In a bizarre twist of fate, it knows what the text is, but doesn't know where the text is. I've got dozens of experiments on both versions, trying to coax it into just clearing regular text bubbles, and results are... not promising. A pigeon with a touchscreen and Paint open could probably (Literally) do a better job.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread