Boushoku no Berserk: Ore Dake Level to Iu Gainen o Toppa Suru

Fed-Kun's army
I thought this might've been an interesting premise. It starts with the same old "kid who has stupid hidden potential where everyone things he's weak but is secretly the strongest" stuff, but the idea of an ability that makes you start over every time you wanna do something particularly useful is kinda neat. It could lead to good character development where the protagonist learns to rely on his own natural abilities that are slowly developed over time instead of the get-strong-quick gimmick weapon that keeps setting him back.

But nope, it's unabashed generic chuuni stuff, as though it was taken directly from the author's childhood journal, and I was a fool to expect otherwise.
Still not the worst thing to read, if you go into it expecting a story written by Megumin or something.

Double-page supporter
Why do so many series take place in a generic fantasy world with rpg video game logic? Are these authors really unable to build their own original worlds and ideas? Imagine devoting your life to a creative artistic medium and the best you can manage is to regurgitate the same tired cliches over and over.

Fed-Kun's army
@Turkeyjerkey "Are these authors really unable to build their own original worlds and ideas?"
That's maybe half of the equation. The other half of the problem is the consumer, and making something easily digestible and appealing to a wide audience.
Like, a lot of people were put off by the Beatles' music when they first heard it because they'd no exposure to anything like it. Trying to go off-form is risky if you aren't both good at world building and willing to devote time and energy to it. Case and point - compare the number of views on this to say, "Blame!" or "21st Century Boys" or "Dorohedoro" or or or...

Fed-Kun's army
@kanol funny enough all those mangas you just listed are masterpieces which have probably already be read already on other sites (20th/21st century boys especially), or just haven't been discovered. this manga probably has this high views despite being shit because of the clickbait title. I fell for it, you fell for it.

Aight Imma come out and say it, Chuuni elements are not necessarily bad in media if they’re handled well. Like, if you ignore most of the ridiculous names and crap, this story is still...unimpressive, to say the least.
It’s not just the characters, but the universe itself that doesn’t have much synergy with the story the author is trying to tell.

In a world where everyone is born with a randomly generated skill that determines their position in life is the type of universe that works best with a commentary-on-society type of story rather than a revenge plot. Like Beastars, or even JoJo with how every bad guy would have this random yet powerful ability. It’d be like having a stand, but without the stand and just the ability.

I like to think that what the Manga industry needs is a DOOM story, different from Berserk. And a DOOMlike setting would have suited this story perfectly. I’m not saying it’s only the setting that makes this story somewhat unreadable. There’s obviously issues with character development and growth as well. I just think the setting of the story is it’s biggest weakness.

The involvement of Hell in a DOOM setting would have suited how the 7 deadly sins work in this story. Maybe it wouldn’t even need to have humans in it, just angels and demons clashing it out. The protagonist, Gluttony guy, takes a side and goes Doom Slayer mode. That way, we could remove the unoriginal RPG elements entirely and focus on the 7 deadly sins aspect. It wouldn’t be hard to just make Gluttony Guy (I think his name is Fate?) grow stronger by devouring souls without RPG crap.

In my head, it would play out being a really loose adaptation of Christian mythology. You could cut out God and Jesus entirely to avoid triggering the audience, since I don’t see how adding God and Jesus would add anything to the overall story. Kinda similar to how DOOM goes, we could have Heaven and Hell being 2 separate high tech planets at war with one another after figuring out how to travel in space.

It would work with the magical Medieval Europe, too, but would be more bland, since the readers wouldn’t want to see another story about medieval Europe. Just take what I previously said about the setting and turn down the tech level, make the planets 2 separate dimensions instead, and have the war start when they figure out how to make portals to other dimensions.

How Gluttony Guy and the rest of the deadly sin characters would be created is up the the author, but I personally think the most solid way of giving him the Gluttony power is by making them secret government projects created by either side. If, say. they were created by the angels, they’d be named after the deadly sins in a way to demoralize the demons because of the irony, while the demons catch on to the plan and create the 7 virtues for them o fight against or something. Because being born out of an immoral government supersoldier project is edgy and Chuuni, of course.

I've backstabbed, i've been tricked, and quite possibly bamboozled by the *new* double release.

Imagine reading a manga webnovel adaption called "Berserk of Gluttony: The One That Exceeds The Concept Of Levels" and then complaining that it's generic "chuuni" dross. You really only have yourself to blame.

Dex-chan lover
The mc's name is Fate, there are an Altera and Archer of Shinjuku look-alike characters, and you could possibly argue one of the characters looks like Jeanne D'arc with straight hair...

I sense another cultured Fate fan

@Gilgamesh That character gives off big Altera vibes, except this character has a giant axe

@Uthred that’s correct. I wanted to browse the comments to see if anyone talked about how dumb and nonsensical the name of the manga is. I haven’t even read it lolz

Users who are viewing this thread