Boy's Abyss - Ch. 183 - They Were the Boys and Girls of That Town

Dex-chan lover
I'm sure that the author wanted to leave the ending to the reader's speculation. Ms. Shiba and Nagi's brother's story feels slightly unfinished. But I'm sure they moved on.

My guess is that only Esemori died, Reiji and Nagi lived. This is because if Reiji died, then Gen and Chako would've at least visited his grave in this final chapter.

When Reiji's mom finally confessed her true feelings to Reiji, it must've set him free. There's nobody else dragging him down further into the abyss anymore.
Not gen, not his brother, not his mom,not his grandma, Chako, or Ms. Shiba. The only person left was Nagi. And Reiji wants to get out of the abyss with Nagi.

Perhaps Boy's abyss was not Reiji's, but Esemori's. After all, it feels like he was cause that sparked this entire chain reaction to happen. And it all ended after he died.

Dex-chan lover
I don't get it.
I hate the fact that I don't really get it. I prefer understanding something about a work, regardless of whether or not I believe it was properly executed. I hate being this lost about a work.

Yuuko chose to live fueled by pure and sheer hatred against Reiji for... not having been a girl she could manipulate and traumadump her generational bullshit.
Was that it? My first impression was that she was trying to cut him loose, for his sake, by flying into a (really nonsequitous and substance-lacking) tizzy-- which is why she told him to skip town.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I'm really confused, some people were saying that there's a volume 18, and someone said that there's an epilogue, is this really the end?

Dex-chan lover
Tbh the ending wasn't thaaat bad, but it definitely needed 1-2 more chapters to make it less abrupt
I think it was probably abrupt on purpose. Sometimes just pulling the plug is the answer.
Still it would be nice if we get an extra chapter/omake about sensei in the volume or something.

Thank you for the translations.

Chako holding the "Boy's Abyss" drive, and saying that the story was unfinished symbolise this whole ride. We will never get to the end of the real story.

Maybe the abyss was the plots that we will never be able to read and enjoy.

Dex-chan lover
yeah this feels more like it being axed and also the author being bored like a year ago from continuing the series
Financially, the manga seemed to be doing fine, but there were signs that "it was time to go."
The manga had a strong first 2 years, reaching 1 million copies in circulation by mid-2022. However, in the next 2 years, it sold just a bit more than half of that, recently reaching 1.6 million copies in circulation.

Online, which is where the manga had always had a strong foothold and was actually saved by before, people were still reading it, and the manga continued to rank "well." But, while I know it's a very flimsy metric to mention, in terms of likes per episode in the app, this manga went from having a 30k-50k range to 20k-30k, and now, for the last few volumes, it's been around the 10k-15k mark.

This all signals that the manga was clearly losing support as time went on online too. But this is to be expected from long-running manga, and the current numbers aren't bad per se. A lot of other manga in the app wish they had these numbers.

BUT, I can imagine that, from a mangaka's point of view, this situation can be demoralizing.
It wouldn't surprise me if there was a loss of interest and a simple desire to wrap things up before the situation got worse, especially since the last 2 volumes or so actually did kind of poorly.

Well, unless we talk with the mangaka directly, we will never know lol.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread