Boy's Abyss - Vol. 4 Ch. 30 - Contract

Dex-chan lover
I'm honestly breathing a little easier reading the last few chapters, it's always so good to see characters truly talk things out instead of fabricating dramas because they can't share information.
Also nice to see that this Gen still cares about them, but yeah that would be too much to ask if it wasn't in such a possessive way. But to be fair, I get how he could be mad hearing them talk about the city and College, when he's stuck already working in their shitty town.

@auodere

I don't think that's the issue here. Chako hate is a stretch but she is making mistakes that someone in her position (Reiji's best friend) should not be making. Thinking at all about Nagi is one and detracting from the real problem. Nagi is without a doubt the catalyst to Reiji's thoughts and he should stay away. She sinned and acted irresponsible by opening the door. However, the man who wants to walk through it is standing in front of Chako, and Chako doesn't understand him. She doesn't know what Reiji wants or why he feels that way, despite being his childhood friend. And we know why this is the case:

cf407fb812122a165e16ca63b147f65f.png

Even now Chako made him contractually promise to not see Nagi. Keyword "made", Reiji wasn't given the choice to consent. She forced that ultimatum on him when all he wanted was for her to stay away from a manipulator with a confirmed record of suicide entanglements. Without him, Chako's life will not be threatened. Chako herself knows Esemori is a bad person but went to him because she felt helpless watching Reiji with Nagi. The reverse however isn't true. Whether Nagi is there or not will not affect Reiji's suicidal impulse. She is a non-threat so mentioning Nagi at all as an equivalent to Esemori lends the impression that she views Nagi as the source and propagator of Reiji's instability. Why would his childhood friend think some random idol could convince him to commit suicide if she is at least partially aware of what goes on in his daily life? Why not call Reiji out on HIS problem? To me at least, Chako has made active attempts to avoid the elephant in the room, or is otherwise distracted. This chapter proved that he would go off and die on his own because he feels his life is that hopeless. Chako got the top 2 biggest reason for that despair involved. Gen is the reason Reiji wants to escape in the first place. Reiji would want anything BUT having Gen in his life. Chako is not stupid, but she was desperate and didn't want to lose him. Possession and control is the biggest recurring theme and Chako is sinking into that pit. Reiji brings out the very worst in people and it's finally starting to show.

Let's be real here. Chako's his friend. She's not evil. She's not a bad person. She's a very good person, if a ted selfish. She is the best influence in Reiji's life and that is a fact, but that is also changing as she continues to conflate what Reiji wants/needs for what she wants (this extends to her perception of him). And unless they talk about the source of his problems, this will only get worse. Everyone in this manga is poisonous to various degrees, whether intentionally or unintentionally. And even when they offer benefits, their intentions are morally compromised. It's just a matter of how quickly they realize it and how they choose to express it.

I love this series so far.

Dex-chan lover
Gen on his own twisted way cares about them.

he's just a Yakuza wannabe and he's gonna crash more sooner than later.

Chako please just shut the fuck up please you literally don't give a shit about Reiji all you care about is about you going to fucking Tokyo to escape your shitty fucking family and you don't even try to understand why Reiji want to commit suicide in the first place. You're only making the situation WORSE.

Double-page supporter
At first I thought that Gen just wanted a permanent punchbag, then the story developed and most of us thought that he was a jealous homo, but now I'm not sure what he really wants, maybe a sick form of keeping his childhood contacts.

Chako is that one friend that has good intentions but goes about it in the worst possible manner.

It's going to be goofy if sensei just so happens to stumble across Gen, Reiji, and Chako on the bridge.

Thanks for the update, please continue translating this manga really love it. Thank you translators can’t wait for the next update.

Things are getting more messed up and I have no idea what's going on anymore. We still got Sensei to deal with and it seems like she has no intention of letting Reiji go, either.

Dex-chan lover
@sables
As readers, we understand the depth of Reiji's pain and all of the issues within his life. No matter how close Chako is to Reiji, she will never get our intimate perspective. So expecting her to know everything about his home life and his struggles is unrealistic. But even so, saying she's apathetic/avoidant to his situation is unfair since she does try to encourage him even before either of them met Nagi, even giving him money to deal with Gen in ch.1:
VAW8If4.png

I don't believe that Chako was making active attempts to avoid Reiji's issues. Most people aren't aware how close to suicide their loved ones are (speaking from experience w/ a suicidal family member). And if you aren't aware, you can't call them out on their problems and you think that they'll eventually get through it. Her thought process was probably that even if she left, Reiji would still be in their home town, alive. But as soon as she learned Reiji was at his breaking point in Ch.28, she immediately switched gears and started working towards finding a way that both Reiji and Nagi could live.

But yeah, it is true that Chako with her good intentions, never asked Reiji what he wanted and is just projecting her idea of salvation on him. And the more she gets involved, the more distorted her help gets. Like chaining him with one-sided promises, like you said. At the very least, I think Chako giving him the idea that there is another path besides death and apathy is an encouragement to Reiji. And with the entrance of Gen, I think they can finally start digging at the root of Reiji's issues.

tbh most of my Nagi points was just a warning to people who seem to idolize and root for her here, which is fine as long as they don't take that sort of interest into irl

Anyway lol sorry if my reply's a bit jumbled, it's really late but I really wanted to reply n discuss asdfgh I really love this manga so far too!! This author really knows how to make characters with flaws. You should check out the author's other series as well!! They aren't as dark as Boy's Abyss but they have deeply flawed and interesting characters you can't help but cheer for (At least to me lmao)

Chako is a better friend than me. I would have left these people a long time ago. Idk why people hate her when she's the only decent person in the story.

Dex-chan lover
I legit don’t know who to hate.
A girl who wants to commit double suicide.
A possessive homo.
Mc’s family
The rapist

Double-page supporter
Chako is still cool
But
Yo please throw your trash in the trash bin and not the poor river

Thanks for this update

this is amazing i love this story so much... i can't fully read the last page so i hope it's not a notice of the scanlation being stopped... ;v;

Users who are viewing this thread