Boy's Abyss - Vol. 4 Ch. 31 - Years and Years

Dex-chan lover
Lmao you won't catch me staying in that fucking town after seeing that shit.

Dex-chan lover
This fucking town, Lmao.

Now there's no way Reiji will want to commit suicide or leave, because of gaslighting and guilt-tripping. It'll only worse his depression and leave him with no escape or outlet. He's going to implode.

Meanwhile Gay best friend bully hole bro(kinda?)'s motives are finally explained. It's not that Reiji did something horrible to him, but that he did something horrible to his mother. Which Gen finds tragic. Simultaneously, Gen is also stuck in this town, and is using that tragedy as an excuse to keep Reiji besides him forever.

What I don't get is why Gen is such an asshole about it all. Is it because he needs to make power plays in front of his father's thugs? If that's the case, fuck off. You can't have it all.

This is bullshit, this feels like it happens in real life. Thanks for the update, please continue translating this manga really love it. Thank you translators can’t wait for the next update.

@JakalDX
A form of you abuse where an abuser makes their victim thinks they have gone crazy. They do this by manipulating information to get the victim to question their own judgement and have the victims depend on them.

Fed-Kun's army
I don't know Gen kinda sus, I think he might be lying, like I'd understand that at the beginning they could have that kind of compensated relationship, but after so many years; I guess It could be explained that he gives her favours like giving Reiji a job after he graduates, but like how many favours can he really make; I'm under the impression that they are actually in a relationship, and the reason he gives here mother favours is because they are lovers. They all seem to have a weird obsession with Reiji, including the mother, more than just wanting him to support her in the house. They all have this need to posses him and his life, It's because they actually got no real chance to live unlike Reiji since he is a high school student with not much prospective in this town his future is an open canvas and could easily leave to find better opportunities outside if he wanted to. Meanwhile the mother and Gen can't leave even if they wanted to because on the mother's hand she has responsibilities to her ill mother and older son, and Gen has to carry on the family legacy of being the towns big shot, so he can't leave that easily. Haven control over Reijis future gives them an illusion of control on the future even if they can't decided their future they can decide his. So I don't know if Gen is actually gay for Reiji but I have strong reasons to believe that he lied to him and just is trying to guilt trip him into staying so that he can further control him (how he basically stated that he had a whole life planned for him) using the convenient fact that his father and here mother happen to be lovers. That would be more inline with the theme of all the characters that interact Reiji and their attempts to control his live and future in order to make up for the lack of control on theirs. The only one that is not trying to do that is the idol girl that is like just merely gave a suggestion but does not actively try to make him commit suicide (it can be argue that even Chako is trying to control him by, although a very sensible decision, not letting him kill himself or meet with the idol girl). Just like idol girl Reiji so far has no reason to live and is just letting himself get swift away by every other will; hopefully they both will find their reasons to live.

@Tamerlane

I think the use of dragonflies has some intentional symbolism:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexual_behavior_in_animals#Dragonflies

Fed-Kun's army
hold up hold up
i dont get it
why is it reiji's fault
wasnt reiji abused by his dad
hows that his fault

Fed-Kun's army
yeah uh, thats bullshit. You dont treat your "bestfriend" like shit to the point of mentally scarring him over the years you manipulative fuck. Also, the mom can fuck who she wants. It was her choice she did what she did, why the fuck should you feel bad to the point of feeling obligated to take responsibility for something you had no control over. For better or for worse, leave the fucking town, things aren't going to change any better if you stay there anyway.

Dex-chan lover
@JakalDX
Oh, so it's meant to be kinda like the porcupine dilemma, but because Gen can't facilitate any healthy form of relationship with Rei, or express his feelings without hurting them both, (like what happens when two male dragonflies try to mate) instead he chooses to keep them in the town. That's clever, if that's intentional.

@NGOtaku

It's not his fault he was abused by his dad as an infant, but what he was saying was that it's because his mom wanted to end the abuse that she sought out Gen's father to help her, which in exchange, she's been sleeping with him (I'm pretty sure it's implied she's prostituting herself to earn money to him, hence why she calls it her "night shift.")

Fed-Kun's army
Man, that place is sure hell, i can't belive that so much fucked up shit happens there and nobody already killed themselves a lot of times. Really this shit is unreal, bro how the fuck. I can't really deal with this. Gen is a shit friend actually, but hes fucked up too, everybody needs to die but Chako.

Bro i'm getting fucked up too, this is too much for myself, i'm weak.

@grimlight
@NGOtaku
It's gaslighting and sophism. An argument that makes sense at least on the surface, but is just a pretext for ulterior motives. I still can't fully say why Gen wants Reiji in particular so badly, but in that desperate play, he's got Reiji by the balls now. See, up until this point, Reiji has always thought he was the victim who did nothing wrong, or was otherwise uninvolved for just being himself. His mom doesn't take care of him, he helps her. His brother and grandmother are liabilities, but his mother shows them more attention and affection. So Reiji doesn't think twice about leaving them once the gates (suicide or the city) are shown to him. But now Gen has shown him that his mother has done some terrible, demeaning things for Reiji's sake. It doesn't matter that Reiji didn't force anything. She's his mother, and she's exemplified it by protecting him (supposedly, all we've heard is Gen's word on the matter).

To leave her as if she was like the other members of his family, would make Reiji no better than his father and an grateful son - is the mentality that Gen is trying to imprint on Reiji. And it will probably work, because Reiji's a "kind" person who lets himself gets swept by the winds of others.

imagine if right after that he goes back home to clean his grandma's piss while his shut-in brother screams for food OOF

@NGOtaku
"It is the victim's fault." - this way of thinking is called victim blaming. I added a description at the bottom, in case you're not familiar with the term. This is what Gen is doing when he said it is Reiji's fault.

You are correct in realizing that Reiji is the victim and that it is not his fault. Gen only said that because he wants Reiji to feel responsible for all the bad things happening in his life. Gen mentioned that he is also stuck in the town and cannot leave but by making Reiji feel responsible Gen is manipulating Reiji into staying in town as well.

Victim blaming - An argument that places the responsibility of correct behavior on the victim of a crime rather than the perpetrator. This is commonly used by rapists who say it is the rape victim's fault for dressing provocatively and "causing" the rapist to commit the crime.

Group Leader
Reiji can't you... Recruit at least one sane or normal person into your harem

Users who are viewing this thread