By the Grace of the Gods - Vol. 5 Ch. 21

lol "hindering their growth"(which is them being forced to constantly adapt just to survive) by giving them a reasonable standard of living that you can totally pull off with the resources available to you and treating your inaction as a noble choice, piss off protag/author

hell, hire them to do what they were doing before(picking up monster corpses) officially as a cleanup crew for the mines or whatever and pay them a proper wage instead of having them continue to struggle to fend for themselves. he straight up told them to go back to cleaning the toilet pits which was stated right beforehand that it would make them sick if they had kept doing it, when his slimes love doing it and don't get sick from the piles of shit. it just reads like "suffering builds character" preaching to me

Welp, this was some bs from the author. He's buying in that ideology of 'if you work hard enough...' and now he's putting it into paper as if that was the best solution.
Ryoma is way beyond rich enough to give these children a healthy environment to grow up. But no, homeless, exploited children labourers is god's will, apparently. According to the author, the low-upper and upper-middle class should just let poverty continue to exist, it's for the best. It's just the natural way of society. And not a necessary structure of a society that makes a few ultra wealthy.

Fed-Kun's army
I agree that I was hoping he'd hire them to help manage the mine, and the bleeding heart in me hoped he'd try to start an orphanage (but he really is too young for it).

But I think their situation has vastly improved. With the Guild handling it, they're getting paid more, and with the deep cleaning his slimes did I think the risk of infection is low for a long period of time if it is regularly cleaned.

The "hindering their growth" part still doesn't sit well with me though.

@HerculeSSJ
if you help them too much they won't be able to do much when you stop helping. Adventurers need to learn from experience.

So teaching them to hunt properly giving them a job so they can focus on becoming better at hunting while not having to worry about getting kicked out of town is too much help? are you F*ing kidding me? but sending them to clean shit it's better cos they need to grow? as someone already said you got the slimes that will do it without risk of getting someone sick but no let's just send some children back in there cus they need to suffer to grow?

This story is getting pretty stupid. Last chapter he felt really bad for beating up some dirty thugs who wanted to assault children, so he cut ties with the people who were taking care of him. Because reasons.

Now he discovered that that swarm of orphans was making a living cleaning the shit out of the public toilets and he decided he'd just let them go back to doing that instead of COMPLAINING TO THE GODDAM DUKE WHO ALL BUT ADOPTED HIM ABOUT TAXING 11-YEAR-OLDS. But hey, that had a conversation with lots of sparkles so it's all good. What a fucking joke this is turning out to be.

I really liked it at the start because it was so charming but now, where it's not slow and dull it's stupid.

Double-page supporter
I was gonna come here to complain about how tedious and dumb this series had become, but @gruevy beat me to it. Took the words right out of my mouth.

Double-page supporter
I can understand the kids, but the 41 reincarnator from the modern world just accepting the status quo of those children is a bit much. I don't remember if I recall this correctly but, in the novel, thought the older adventures from the slums would look out for kids from the slums. Volunteering to teach them skills, things like that. It's been a while, I don't know if that is correct?🤨

Fed-Kun's army
Oh, so you're going to let them tame some of your cleaner slimes so they can independently carry out the work safely? No? Okay then.
*inhales*
WHAT THE FUUUUU

@Barrier-kun No one is complaining about the update, that's good work. People are just reacting to MC anti logic.
"If I were to carelessly help out I would hinder their growth so instead I'll carelessly not help out."🤪

Dex-chan lover
Surely you can help them if it's in a nurturing way and not making them dependent?

...Or at least let them raise slimes?

Double-page supporter
@Kanol I'm only pertaining to myself though. I came here not to complain but to say thanks for the update, was what I meant. It is indeed a job well done for the TL group. Also, I'm not making a big deal out of those who actually complained about the story or the mc. They can say whatever.

@gruevy He was disappointed with himself since he reacted with anger towards the thugs even with having a mind of a 40-year-old and he didn't like the feeling of being too dependent on the Duke's family. Didn't want to feel like he was leeching off others.

But the part where he said "hindering their growth instead" left me feeling conflicted. I mean I can see why he would think that but at the very least give some tips / pointers to the kids.

I mean, it's alright not to hinder their progress, but improving their setting so they can grow freely would be acceptable, like, if they just do easy/fast/safe quests to make enough money to survive they won't be growing much, maybe a home and training would be alright, he already learned the kids live on the slums. . .

Users who are viewing this thread