Call of the Night - Vol. 17 Ch. 169 - Keep That to Yourself

Dex-chan lover
I don't really understand why people are worried. I don't think the "falling in love kills vampires" thing was honestly something that actually happened. Kiku died in the sun. Maybe love weakened her. But she died in the sun. And miharu died in the sun anyway, without falling for a human and drinking their blood.

On top of that, Kou is half vampire. Unless I missed some damning evidence, which I don't think I did, there is very little real support behind the love theory. It was just what kiku believed. Nazuna's mom thought differently. Kiku was clearly somewhat insane, so maybe becoming human to her was always dying. that was always her answer. Because she was crazy.

Dex-chan lover
Good call everyone who thought that the date would move the main couple along, but that's a lot of progress, wow.

Dex-chan lover
Thank you for translating and uploading the chapter on here, legends. I really appreciate it. Viz is total trash and would like to avoid them as much as physically possible

Dex-chan lover
I don't really understand why people are worried. I don't think the "falling in love kills vampires" thing was honestly something that actually happened. Kiku died in the sun. Maybe love weakened her. But she died in the sun.
But we have also seen vampires sitting in the sun just fine - for a limited period of time, anyway. Remember when they chased down Kiku and it became morning? They weren't burning up. It was also explicitly noted that freshly turned vampires are particularly weak to sunlight - which indicates that the author felt it was necessary to justify why Mahiru would die quickly where other vampires didn't. If Kotoyama feels the need to justify that, it's suggests that Kiku shouldn't have died from such limited exposure. Of course, he also provided counter-evidence in that she was weakened.

I'll say this: given the number of times Kiku tried to fall in love, my personal suspicion is that this may very well be a myth. Surely she couldn’t have failed to find love with literal centuries of trying. It just seems phenomenally unlikely, and I wonder if Mahiru’s dialogue at the end, “did you have fun,” was acknowledging that she’d failed for the final time. Asking her if, even though she’d failed to die as a human, did she enjoy the time she spent with him. But I don’t know.
On top of that, Kou is half vampire. Unless I missed some damning evidence, which I don't think I did, there is very little real support behind the love theory. It was just what kiku believed. Nazuna's mom thought differently.
There is some support. It's the fact that the two vampires who we know fell in love with a human are both dead as a consequence of their love. Kiku died in a lover's suicide, and Haru died in childbirth because she wouldn't drink the blood of the human she loved, and refused to drink the blood of another human. So, like a lot of myths, there could be a grain of truth in it. Being in love makes it much harder to survive as a vampire.

Also, it just occurred to me that there is some compelling evidence for emotional attachment being what weakens them. The fact that religious icons like crosses worked on formerly christian vampires strongly indicates that it's the emotional attachment which hurts them. The physical cross isn't tied to their past life, but the emotional attachment to their faith was a part of their human life. If that's the case, it'd partly explain why Haru was so reticent to suck the blood of her lover. Part of it would be not wanting to curse him with immortality and having him forget her - though all the vamps seem to remember who turned them, so I'm not sure about forgetting. Anyway, a contributing factor could be that, as the object of her affection, his blood would be poison to her. But drinking from somebody else would be unfaithful. So she chose to starve. Guess we'll get a test of that soon if Nazuna wants a snack.

IDK. I think there's at least room for debate. It's not so cut and dry.

Last edited:
Aggregator gang
I was talking with a friend of mine about this a few weeks ago, and he had a feeling that this manga was gonna end soon. The whole subnarrative with Mahiru began a few chapters in, so it would make a certain amount of narrative sense to end the story not long after its conclusion. And it certainly feels like it's positioning itself that way.

Kou got some painful life experience that made him grow.
Kyouko got her closure.
Nazuna resolved the tension with Haruka and realized she loved Kou, all in one stroke. They could delve more into the history of vampires but they don't have to, really.

Personally, my schizo theory is that Kou will end up becoming a detective like Kyouko. That way, he won't risk Nazuna's life and he can still share the night with her. I think he said "if I don't become a vampire, I could become a detective" in the chapter where they were hunting the peeper at the maid cafe. I thought that was foreshadowing for the detective arc, but it'd be so kino if it was actually foreshadowing his own path.

All that's really left to resolve is if they can make their relationship work. And maybe there's a plot thread there, where they try and find out if consummating their relationship will kill her. But maybe not.
Fuck ending it. I hope he Shonen's this bitch and introduces new bad guys for the action part and then keeps making Kou and Nazuna hang out and chill for the romance/ slide of life. 1000 Chapters baby, let's get it.

Dex-chan lover
Fuck ending it. I hope he Shonen's this bitch and introduces new bad guys for the action part and then keeps making Kou and Nazuna hang out and chill for the romance/ slide of life. 1000 Chapters baby, let's get it.
Personally, I'd rather the story end while it's still beautiful. There are lots of stories out there which are written to death and kept on life support way past their prime. A good story ended properly can let us imagine how the characters will spend the rest of their lives, and we can feel satisfied with that.

I could be totally wrong though. We'll have to see what happens. Kotoyama has a habit of surprising me.

Dex-chan lover
I was really worried we were gonna end up with an annoying and unnecessary love triangle. I guess it could still go that way, but I hope not.

Dex-chan lover
Isn't she actually a bit around his age or something? Kinda remember her being established as young enough to be around his age, or at most like 5 years older.
its a mystery, but Nazu herself assumes that she is somewhere between 40 and 30

Dex-chan lover
Isn't she actually a bit around his age or something? Kinda remember her being established as young enough to be around his age, or at most like 5 years older.
Yeah they did some cringe thing saying she‘s around 40 but with the excuse that she has a younger mental age lmao.

Dex-chan lover
Yeah they did some cringe thing saying she‘s around 40 but with the excuse that she has a younger mental age lmao.
Ah right, we don't know the timeframe between her mom vanishing and her being taken care by the vampire nurse, I was using the timeframe for her meeting sempai and then reuniting with her...which I assumed to be very little, because I don't remember her being stated as older than 28-30 for some reason.

Users who are viewing this thread