Can You Keep a Secret? - Vol. 1 Ch. 8 - Weekend Mode/Work Mode

Dex-chan lover
@skilodracus So 90% of the adults you know are so ashamed of being seen with their significant others that they choose to pretend that they openly despise them in public rather than just living normally? Yeah I get it, people can be fake most of the time but this; this is something else.

Group Leader
@Rozoro I mean they are themselves during the weekdays, their work selves anyway (i.e. professional and focused on their job). It's not like they're changing their personalities, it's just their behavior toward each other. And that was how they've been interacting for ~95% of the time they've known each other, so I don't find it that odd to maintain that when they're hiding that they're going out. If you're talking specifically about the fact that they feel the urge or need to hide that they're going out in the first place, then in simple terms: they don't want it to affect their work. They're actually quite fond of their jobs, and don't want their relationship to have a potentially negative impact on them. Ways their relationship could affect work include: being distracted and not doing their best/making mistakes, causing or otherwise affecting transfers to other departments, being teased at work, being gossiped about (not too fond of that myself). Aside from that, there's also the fact that their coworkers are so used to them acting that way with each other, and so it could be kind of hard to announce to them that they're going out. And finally, in case they were to break up, there would be another whole set of issues (the awkwardness of working with your ex is often amplified when all of your coworkers know you were going out, for example). Anyway, obviously this is their personal choice, and isn't necessarily something many readers would choose to do in their own lives. However, I for one find it quite reasonable that a couple would want to hide their relationship from their coworkers for any number of reasons, and I'm quite confident that it does happen in real life (having seen secret coworker couples get found out, I know it's happened at least a couple of times before).

I've written too much as usual, but that's my take on it. Opinions and personal experiences may vary.

Dex-chan lover
@sleepyfoxscanlations I have to clarify things. In my country (Brazil), if you do what Ucchan did (calling many times at the weeknds to talk about work problems), people would probably be angry, because we really value our time at the weekends (we even have a slang called "Sextou" when friday arrives and we have done our work. The translation would be something like "Friday'd").

We hang out, go to the beach, make bbq with family/friends and lazy out. The Last thing we want it is disturb someone.

My view of Ucchan attitudes is a cultural thing in mine, if I was in her shoes, I only would call if was something really urgent and if I resolve it and wanted to thank her, I would send a text message, not a call.

Just for curiosity, there's a lot of people here who doesn't like to talk on the phone, they prefer to trade text messages, a lot of then hates receiving long audio messages

Group Leader
@BrunoVilla Ah, very interesting to hear about how it is in other cultures. From what I've heard, you guys take relaxing very seriously indeed. Thanks for sharing your point of view. I do want to note, though, that in Japanese culture, it's a nice/polite thing to do. So as Masugu says, she's just being very conscientious.

Regarding text messaging, many people in the US these days also prefer texting, but when it comes to something like offering your gratitude for someone's help, I feel that calling is still more appropriate (feels more heartfelt). Edit: Also depends on the degree of help, of course.

Group Leader
Wow, nobody reacted to the obvious Steve1989 reference on the credits page, so I felt obligated to comment, lol. You could have sneaked a "Nice hiss" when she answered the phone the second time.
Anyway, keep'em coming, who needs teeth anyways when you can have so much sugar.

Dex-chan lover
@sleepyfoxscanlations But it isn't simply a matter of putting on a professional attitude when going into work, she absolutely does change her personality when they go to work, it's a complete 180. She goes from being sweet and nice to him when she thinks they are alone, to going out of her way to make other people think that she openly dislikes him at work. She isn't simply putting on an indifferent attitude towards him for the sake of her professional life, she legitimately antagonizes him at work to put even the notion of them going out being impossible to conceive.

Now lets put this in a hypothetical situation since you seem to be in support of them lying to their associates and coworkers. Let's say you have been going out with a girl for quite some time and it's past getting serious, yet she absolutely refuses to take you around her friends and associates because she doesn't want them to know that she is going out with "you" in particular. How exactly would you feel about that?

The point is they have no reasonable purpose to hide their relationship. They are around the same age group, are not boss and subordinate, and they seem to work fine as they are without being distracted just fine. They don't have to shout it to the whole world, but going out of their way to hide it implies that one or more parties are ashamed of other people knowing, which would almost certainly cause insecurities and disruption in any real life relationship.

Group Leader
@Rozoro As I said, that's less her personality and more her behavior toward him-- but that's arguing semantics, so let's put that aside. Anyway, she's just maintaining the exact same behavior she's had toward him for literally 95% of the time they've known each other (by my estimate). They did dislike each other initially, and if that changed very obviously, then that would increase the risk of coworkers finding out about their relationship. And if she is trying to act any tougher than she used to, it's so that she doesn't let the secret slip, like she said in the first chapter.

If I understood my partner's reasons for doing so, such as their work being that important to them, then I would absolutely support how they felt, especially if all the effort it took me was acting like I had for the past 6 years. And as far as Masugu goes, he kind of gets why/feels the same way to some degree, too.
Edit 2: I see no problem with lying to coworkers. My love life is none of their business.
Edit 3: Just realized, I'd probably get gap moe from the way they were at work vs. the way they were in private too. That means I'm not the best data point though...

In regard to reasons to hide the relationship, I already covered that in my previous response. And it would only disrupt the relationship if one of them disagreed with the other's reasons and/or assumed that they were ashamed of being with the other.

Edit: @damian_stefan1989 Thanks, I did feel kind of forlorn that no one commented on that, heh. I was so focused on the tray line that I forgot about "nice hiss" x.x. Also, that's a nice coincidence you've got with your name including 1989 as well. I assume for both you and Steve, it's your birth year (I don't know if Steve has ever said why)?

Aggregator gang
It's a fluffy rom-com about 2 office workers! Why the hell are you writing your school essay here?

Group Leader
@Mikubanzai Eh, it's chapter-related discussion and it's interesting to hear other people's points of view. Though I can see it deflating the fluff for some people, sorry ;3. I just think it's kind of fun to engage in a conversation about if the characters are just totally ridiculous or somewhat realistic.

Edit: corrected apostrophe placement.

Aggregator gang
@sleepyfoxscanlations I know, I'm sorry for lashing out like that. It's just getting tired for me, like, every fluffy rom-com comes out and the comment section is just filled with people writing their school essay

Dex-chan lover
@sleepyfoxscanlations you have no ideia. We're living in a 3rd world country with a lot of serious problems, but we still love to party.

Some examples: our carnival starts at Friday and only ends in the wendsday of the next week, our gender reveal party are really criative (to not say weird), our kids birthday party have A LOT of food, we really love barbeque (in summer, we make bbq almost everyday).

If a holliday happens in a tuesday or thursday, schools and some public departments take the opportunity to close their establishments on monday or friday for people have more days of relaxing, many of people likes to travel in these days.

EveryHarmoniousHookersealion-size_restricted.gif

Group Leader
@BrunoVilla Those sound like great parties! I really respect the way you can enjoy life even while it's so rough.

The fact that organizations will take a day off to make it a longer weekend is pretty cool. It actually reminds me of something the Japanese do too: when a day falls between two national holidays, that day is also considered a holiday. Something else they do is if a holiday falls on a Sunday, then the following workday is made into a holiday so that people are guaranteed a day off.

Dex-chan lover
@Mikubanzai I don't have school anymore, where else would I put them? 😜

@sleepyfoxscanlations
If I understood my partner's reasons for doing so, such as their work being that important to them, then I would absolutely support how they felt, especially if all the effort it took me was acting like I had for the past 6 years. And as far as Masugu goes, he kind of gets why/feels the same way to some degree, too.
Edit 2: I see no problem with lying to coworkers. My love life is none of their business.
But I still fail to see how at all this would negatively impact their work environment. Other than the initial teasing and snide remarks what possible ramifications would their be for two co-workers of the same hierarchical level to enter into a relationship, it happens all the time. It's true that what you do is no one's business but yours but don't you see how impractical and pointless keeping this a secret is without even going into the eventuality of your partner potentially deceiving you. What do you do about more serious circumstances such as medical emergencies or pregnancy? If you work together and a serious accident happens at work how do you go to the hospital together? Do you hope that your sick and vacation days that you've worked hard for until now are enough to cover the span of your child being born?
In regard to reasons to hide the relationship, I already covered that in my previous response. And it would only disrupt the relationship if one of them disagreed with the other's reasons and/or assumed that they were ashamed of being with the other.
If Seiya sempai hadn't been so quick to understand the situation it could have easily disrupted the relationship into drama. It's hard to let someone know when your girlfriend is spoken for when both of you are forbidden to speak about it. Plenty of things can sway a bridge that has no sturdy foundations.

Group Leader
@Rozoro Look, I get that you may not believe that it would have a negative impact on their work, but they clearly do. With that in mind, can you see why they might want to keep it a secret? Even if you don't agree with someone's reasons in taking a course of action, that doesn't mean that they don't have them. Is it so difficult to accept that some people might treat their work-life balance differently than you do? I understand that it's not how you feel-- but do you really think that no one has ever felt this way before? And then accordingly kept their relationship a secret? I mean, I'm not saying this is a completely realistic manga. Clearly, much, probably most, maybe all, of the reason for the secrecy is to entertain us, the readers. But is it really that unreasonable for someone to think that their work could be affected if their company and coworkers were aware of the relationship?

I used way too many question marks there. Anyway, let me try again with fewer questions. I can see why you could think they're being unnecessarily secretive. However, you said you couldn't rationalize it, which I took to mean "see the reasoning behind it at all". The reasoning seems quite clear as long as you accept the premise that they believe it would have a negative impact on work. So really, that seems to be the root of your issue with this. And if you truly can't see how someone might believe that, then that's that, I guess.

As for your last paragraph: eh, they'll cross that bridge if/when they come to it. Life is spicy sometimes.
Edit: Response to your edit (bridge with no sturdy foundations): They look pretty sturdy to me. Their communication is pretty good in general. They're head over heels for each other. They each care about the other's feelings. They seem to understand a relationship is a two-way street. Plus, being in a relationship isn't the only way to reject someone.

Edit 2, regarding all your doomsday scenarios: You're assuming they would keep this secret no matter what. People change their minds all the time. They could easily talk it over and decide to come clean with everyone at a later point, especially if they're having a freaking kid together. And if a serious accident happens, in many areas you aren't allowed in if you're not family anyway, so they'd have to be married. Pretty sure it wouldn't be a secret at that point.

Edit 3: And wait, how would this change anything if your partner was a devious asshole?

Users who are viewing this thread