Can You Keep a Secret? - Vol. 1 Ch. 8 - Weekend Mode/Work Mode

Double-page supporter
@sleepyfoxscanlations
I used way too many question marks there. Anyway, let me try again with fewer questions. I can see why you could think they're being unnecessarily secretive. However, you said you couldn't rationalize it, which I took to mean "see the reasoning behind it at all". The reasoning seems quite clear as long as you accept the premise that they believe it would have a negative impact on work. So really, that seems to be the root of your issue with this. And if you truly can't see how someone might believe that, then that's that, I guess.
My willing suspension of disbelief is unfortunately on more of a hair trigger than most, if I can't rationalize a Manga's character's actions, thoughts, or major plot points it greatly interferes with my ability to enjoy certain types of manga. Especially when the story takes place in a serious setting with too many absurdities or plot holes. It's simply a personality trait of mine and the reason why I could never enjoy Shomin Sample or Prison School. This manga isn't that absurd, certainly not enough to make me drop it, but perhaps I have been too heavy handed with my criticisms. People do irrational things all the time after all. It's simply my opinion.
As for your last paragraph: eh, they'll cross that bridge if/when they come to it. Life is spicy sometimes.
Edit: Response to your edit (bridge with no sturdy foundations): They look pretty sturdy to me. Their communication is pretty good in general. They're head over heels for each other. They each care about the other's feelings. They seem to understand a relationship is a two-way street. Plus, being in a relationship isn't the only way to reject someone.
Invisible foundations don't keep outside influences away and manga characters generally aren't smart enough to simply tell people no. They still had lunch with Seiya during their date after all.
Edit 2, regarding all your doomsday scenarios: You're assuming they would keep this secret no matter what. People change their minds all the time. They could easily talk it over and decide to come clean with everyone at a later point, especially if they're having a freaking kid together. And if a serious accident happens, in many areas you aren't allowed in if you're not family anyway, so they'd have to be married. Pretty sure it wouldn't be a secret at that point.
If you make someone your emergency contact I'm pretty sure they don't need to be family at all, not everyone has family.
Edit 3: And wait, how would this change anything if your partner was a devious asshole?
These were hypothetical responses based upon the hypothetical question I posited to you about an IRL instance of this occurring. It's not so much an issue in manga where most characters are perfect angels, but in real life scenarios people cheat and are unfaithful, which makes having a secret relationship with someone all the more dubious, or at least makes it something to proceed with caution into.

Why do people have to write a long essay for this? This is the most wholesome chapter in any manga ever created.

The End.

Dex-chan lover
Any comment over 3 sentences should be silently hidden by the site.

Group Leader
@Rozoro Yeah, everyone's got different levels of suspension of disbelief. I just wanted to hop in because I felt I could provide insight into what reasoning they may have. I understand how yours could be broken, but I had the urge to try to put it back together since I rather like this series. Anyway, you seem to agree its totally adorable, and that's good enough for me really. Thanks for engaging in good faith, I've enjoyed the conversation.

The dinner with Seiya-san didn't exactly have romantic over or undertones, nor did his invitation. And yes, they were pushed to have a meal with him because they wanted to keep their secret, but it's not that odd to be treated to food by a senpai and have a chat. I'm also pretty sure that these two could handle rejecting someone.

About the hospital thing, I mean, assuming that's true in their area, I'm fairly confident they could work something out without letting their coworkers find out. Also, you may not be allowed in the ambulance with them, but as a general visitor you'd be able to see them at some point anyway. Not really sure I see the issue.

If you feel like you can't trust your partner in a relationship, maybe you shouldn't be in a relationship with them? I can understand a prenup because there's property at stake. But what's at stake here, just your feelings, right? Which would get hurt regardless of the relationship being secret if you were to breakup for whatever reason. And I'm still not really sure how keeping their relationship secret puts them at any more risk of one of them engaging in an affair. Most relationships aren't secret, and affairs still happen, so yeah.

@sleepyfoxscanlations I don't comment much at all on chapters but I just wanted to say I really appreciate your breakdowns of your translation choices etc. It makes for a great bit of learning along side the fluff! I hope you keep doing those notes, and thanks for the chapter!

Group Leader
@Mikrz I'll be sure to keep writing 'em if you guys keep reading 'em (or even if no one did tbh, haha). Thanks for reading and letting me know your thoughts, I always enjoy hearing from readers!

Double-page supporter
@sleepyfoxscanlations
Well if someone wants to cheat there isn't much you can do about it, but you can try at least to avoid relationships where you aren't personally trusting of the situation, but that's just my opinion on it anyway.

Oh
God
Why
Is
It
So
Hard
To
Scroll
Past
Comments
I
Don't
Want
To
Read
Make
Them
Stop
giphy.gif

Group Leader
@Rozoro Everyone's got their own way to go about relationships. I think your concerns are understandable. It's not really the way I handle mine, but to each their own! As you've said, this is a manga, and it's quite a fluffy one, so there's no need to sweat the small stuff imho. But you do whatever you gotta do. Nice talking with ya.

Haha yeah, it really doesn't seem like too big a deal.

@sleepyfoxscanlations

Is that...a reference to the almighty Steve and his MREs??

As always, keep up the great work! A little bummed that Saeki ended, though, even though it was a very classy way to wrap it up.

Group Leader
@nubbins It very much is referencing Steve and his most glorious MRE reviews!

Thanks, encouragement from the readers really does help to keep me motivated.

Agreed on Saeki-san ending, though don't forget there are some bonus chapters. It's kind of my fault that some people are unaware since I barely mentioned them in the credit page, so I just feel like I should mention them all the time now xD.

Group Leader
@sleepyfoxscanlations Yes, complete coincidence. Been using the birth year since the 2000s, when I didn't know better and it just stuck with me out of habit. I figure that's also Steve's year, since he looks around that age, maybe younger. (Geez, I feel old.) Love how chill he is all the time.

Thanks so much! I appreciate your text walls, I think at this point it just won't feel right without 'em lol

First timer here! Thanks so much for translating this manga, I’m loving it lots. It gives me the peace of mind I need throughout the day. I really enjoy reading the text walls, it shows you too enjoy translating each chapter and we surely are grateful for that. Keep up the great work!

Group Leader
@damian_stefan1989 My birth year is only one later than yours, and I really really feel you on, err, feeling old. I had the same reasoning behind thinking it was Steve's birth year too. Thanks for commenting on the reference! Haha.

@Nayaera That's good, because it just seems to happen every time! :x

@amakakeru20 Hey there~ It makes me feel nice and fluffy inside to know that the fluff I translate helps to heal some of that mental damage that each day inflicts on us. Thanks for chiming in!

Dex-chan lover
I like this good mix of fluffy moments and cheek clapping it feels healthy

Users who are viewing this thread