Can You Read In Your Dreams?

Dex-chan lover
I remember watching the Batman animated series episode where Batman discovers he's dreaming after trying to read something, and thought it was just fiction since I could always read fine in dreams. Then, I find out today that most people can't. Can anyone else here also read proper words and sentences in their dreams.

Group Leader
Ever since I was a kid, I always strived to be like the main character in "The Science of Sleep".
Eventually, I'll be able to talk on the phone while sleeping, just you watch.

Dex-chan lover
I remember watching the Batman animated series episode where Batman discovers he's dreaming after trying to read something, and thought it was just fiction since I could always read fine in dreams. Then, I find out today that most people can't. Can anyone else here also read proper words and sentences in their dreams.
I realized that in my dreams I can't type. If I try to google something or type in an web address I keep making typos.

Dex-chan lover
Pretty sure I saw that episode when it originally aired, roughly a hundred years ago....

Signs of a few words and even single sentences aren't an issue for me in dreams, but reading anything more than that stops being internally coherent. Longer passages read like taking a bunch of sentences from related texts and randomly ordering them - there's a common topic but no flow within a paragraph. Generally once I become aware of that, I try to reread the last few sentences, which change from what they were on the previous pass, and after the third or fourth attempt to make sense of the text I start to wake up.

Dex-chan lover
I remember reading text messages or manga in my dreams.
Don't think I've ever dreamed of reading a book or something like a paragraph though. (haha im uncultured idiot confirmed)

Group Leader
I've had several dreams of going to a bookstore and reading some novels and comics there. But I don't remember their stories after I wake up. It's just that, when I think about those dreams, they feel very real to me. I remember reading a good book and planning to buy it. One time, when I woke up after such a dream, I still remembered the title of a book and I intended to find out if it existed in the real world. But unfortunately I fell asleep again and completely forgot about it when I woke up afterwards.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Recalling your dreams
Isn't always possible,
Fleeting memories.
15944.hq.jpg

Dex-chan lover
Yes and no.

There have been times where I could "read" in my dreams, but it was always text that appeared that I could read that, later, I could not. For example, let's say in my dream I was reading a book and came across the line, "You can tell what this says by reading it." Instantly upon seeing that I would be able to "read" it and know what it says. But if, inside the dream, I tried to go back and re-read it... it would be absolute gibberish. Word soup. Completely nonsensical.

Users who are viewing this thread