Chainsaw Man - Ch. 169 - Hands and Adaptation

Dex-chan lover
the violation occurs since there was no context or asking for consent from Yoru/Asa's part to do anything with Denji; the lack of explicit consent and the mental state which Denji is in is what literally makes it a sexual assault
...no explicit consent? He is kissing her for four pages straight. He is going in there. His hands are not even trying to pull away Yoru/Asa's hand. And with this chapter, we even explicitly know how he felt during the act.

Denji's mental state? He wasn't incapacitated or black out drunk-- again, he was outright kissing her as much as she was kissing him. It's like you're talking from a text summary of the chapter, on top of not knowing what "violation" is.

And where was any of this when Yoru kissed him in his apartment? Hell, where was this when the 22 year old Fumiko fondled his 16-year old junk in a movie theater and then took advantage of his desire for sex to get him to fellate a devil tentacle? This is the most consensual, earnest, and legal sexual action Denji's gotten in this entire manga that hasn't resulted in grievous bodily harm, but it's now that people wanna go "oh, man, he's a victim of sexual assault".

I am flabbergasted-- [ningen] dun forgot how to interpret pictures. We're evolving in reverse.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
my 2c: explicit consent is extremely important when you're engaging in kink or there's any doubt about a party's enthusiasm. but there are times where it's ok to get swept up in the moment without needing to check in every step of the way too. are you ok with me kissing you? are you ok with me biting your lip? are you ok with me touching your neck, your ear, your side, your waist, your thigh? people have been wordlessly hooking up as long as there have been people (and words), and it doesn't mean that every single human being who fucked before the concept of consent was thought up was a victim or agressor.

Dex-chan lover
Man, Fami is going to keep eating non-stop, and that bill will be too much for anyone to pay.

Dex-chan lover
Eat the eggs, dennis

Man, the restaurant really goes hard with the death by sushi angle, they have the conveyor belts stacked😂 Like how do you even reach the top line

Dex-chan lover
What's with the influx of twitter gen z consent cucks? They had kept in their hole before now they are sullying mangadex with they idiotic bs. No that chapter wasn't about sa or consent, and if you think that denji crashed or complained about the hj technique because it was sa you clearly are not dude who's had a hj before, which is good becuase you sound 15 spouting that idiocy

Dex-chan lover
"Dulled by grief"? "Shut down"? Take a vision exam, and then read pages 14 and 15 of that chapter. And then read page 5 of this chapter.

This may be worse than when people claim Shinji Ikari's a coward who needs to nut up and save the world while others try to sympathize with Shinji like the aforementioned isn't a false premise to begin with-- since Shinji's rather proactive considering that piloting EVA is integral to his character motivations.

Yoru didn't even start jerking him off until after they started kissing-- before then, she was trying to crush his testicles, because her original plan was to cut them off. It's like you didn't even glance at the chapter.
No, you don't understand, if you consent while feeling sad it means it wasn't consent. If someone does something while sad they aren't at all accountable for their actions.

Edit: I said this facetiously but I'd bet dollars to donuts that a woman's going to use that to justify a false rape accusation in the near future if one hasn't done that already.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Idk how y'all can look at Denji's face during that chapter and somehow interpret it as him kissing her. Yoru remembers Asa and Denji's kiss and does the same because she doesn't know what else to do with the feelings she gained through Asa and acts on instinct, assaulting them both.

You'll realize that Asa and Denji only acknowledge the kiss after the deed is done, they still hadn't processed what happened.

Yeah it made his heart race, yeah it got him blushing, but this man is completely shocked out of his mind. In chapter 168 he just sat there, slumped over on the ground while Yoru left. Is that afterglow to you guys?

In this chapter this guy isn't even sure if he's happy or unhappy right now, he's still absolutely confused, tired, numbed, etc.

Explain to me this, so far Denji's life is the worst its ever been. He just had a breakdown over thinking with his dick as an easy means to escape reality. What does him consenting to a handjob from Yoru do, thematically, for this story at this very moment?

Are you saying that Denji did actually need sexual relief (after the breakdown he had), not from brothel girls, but from Asa? Well, Yoru was the one who did it, not Asa, so that is still assault.

Double-page supporter
The most absurd thing about this chapter is the fact that they can buy chutoro for ¥40 a plate.

Dex-chan lover
im not gonna say it... im not gonna say it.
But part 2 has to have a big twist in both story and quality, for it to stand to part 1.
But im not saying is bad, its not even finished yet. But i hope , really hope its gets better...

Dex-chan lover
Asa finally getting called out for not showing human sadness over her arm. It doesn't matter if it's realistic; we're supposed to be suspicious.

Whatever the details, Asa and Yoru act like a single delusional person that makes excuses for being unable to balance her aggressive killer and perv girlfailure sides. She's about as cold as most fiends, much less warm than most humans. Asa and Yoru blame each other for how they treat Denji, but from his perspective it's the same person making Power-like excuses.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Idk how y'all can look at Denji's face during that chapter and somehow interpret it as him kissing her.
Chapter 167, page 10: Yoru kisses Denji.

Page 11: They stare at each other for a beat.

Page 12: Full page spread of Yoru kissing Denji again while fondling his genitals. Notice Denji not attempting to pull Yoru's singular hand away from his genitals.

Page 13: Another full page shot of the both of them retracting slightly, to reveal that both their mouths were open. Notice Denji not pulling away.

Page 14: Denji does not attempt to pull away for three panels. The second panel involves Denji's eyelids lowering. Both their heads are moving during their makeout, Denji's never moving away. His mouth is open, interlocking with hers however imperfectly.

Page 15: Denji climaxes. Denji has weird o-faces (cf. ch. 136, p. 14), but that's probably a normal one.

In this chapter this guy isn't even sure if he's happy or unhappy right now
He has literally said, in his candid thoughts, that the handjob made his heart feel good even though the act itself didn't feel as good as when he did it himself.

If it wasn't clear that he liked it in the chapter that it happened-- where he was fully participating in the act-- page 5 of this chapter sufficiently disambiguates his current emotional state. Me personally, I know that feeling of having my first make-out, having it end awkwardly, and being zoned out for at least the next day, not knowing whether to feel happy or unhappy but at least knowing that I felt preeminently emotionally "warm" during the act. It often comes with the territory of not used to that level of interaction with another human being, not expecting such a thing to be your lot until several years out-- if ever.

At least part of the reason he can't tell if he's happy or unhappy is because that alleyway handjob (and the sushi in front of him) is the speck of light in the morass of his current life where he lost all of his pets, doesn't know where his kind-of daughter is, was disassembled then reassembled, got kicked in the nuts almost immediately after waking up twice, and is still so much of a slave to lust that he rationalized going to a brothel while having already resolved to look for said kind-of daughter.

Explain to me this, so far Denji's life is the worst its ever been. He just had a breakdown over thinking with his dick as an easy means to escape reality. What does him consenting to a handjob from Yoru do, thematically, for this story at this very moment?
We can only fully appreciate how the narrative expresses the intended themes after it's complete because we don't know what's going to happen next. There's also the possibility that it's underutilized or completely wasted, or even that Fujimoto literally just wanted to depict Denji getting jerked off by an amputee in an alleyway because it'd be funny.

So far, however, Denji actively expresses the export of that incident early on in this chapter, which is both consistent with his earlier impressions of Asa as someone he's comfortable with that hasn't (as far as he knows) jeopardized his life like all the other women thus far (cf. ch. 120, p.4-5; ch. 149, p.17-18) and also suggest a development of thought in regards to her. In this chapter, Barem's exposition about the mindset of devils also suggests that Asa is becoming more devil-like, which also implies (as others have conjectured based on other hints) that the identities of "Asa" and "Yoru" are merging-- meaning that despite Yoru technically being the one to make out with Denji, who's doing what is certainly not as clear as it was earlier in Part 2. Accordingly, this is still in the continuum of development for Asa and Denji's relationship.

At bare minimum, this is what that sequence was about, meaning that it's also relevant to how this narrative explores sexuality by way of examining the protagonist and the current deuteragonist.

That's not a straightforward answer, but I'm no prophet, and the above makes much more sense than the idea that we're exploring the prospect of male sexual assault or whatever while the narrative emphasizes Asa/Yoru's tsundere cope and Denji thinking about how emotionally fulfilling the alleyway handjob was-- because at that point you'd also have to argue that Fujimoto's poorly and indelicately executing that vision.

Last edited:
Group Leader
Blud is having a mid-life crisis as he waits for his sushi, sadge, at least there's hope to find Nayuta yet!

Dex-chan lover
That is also true. But it's likely the money is still somewhat comparable because there is no Hyperinflation Devil nodiffing the Gun Devil and Chainsawman.
NO!!!!!!!!!!! Don't Mention THAT NAME! I don't want to make six figures but have Weimar level inflation....

I can agree on the fact that he might have felt good during it, it's just the context where it all happened that is so fucked up. Denji was and still is very devastated abput the fact that he didn't know if Nayuta was alive, for all he and us as readers could see, he saw his apartment and his family blow up. He's also starving at the time and he even thought his pp was getting cut; the violation occurs since there was no context or asking for consent from Yoru/Asa's part to do anything with Denji; the lack of explicit consent and the mental state which Denji is in is what literally makes it a sexual assault

Did anyone else notice how he was biting his finger the same way Makima did? It's fascinating that his groomer still has control over him even after death. I am starting to suspect that the chainsaw man cult was a contingency created by Makima incase her plans failed. After all, she was his biggest fan.

CRAP. What if SHE is the king of terror, and this arc ends with Denji having to chose which control devil to save?

Dex-chan lover
Part 2 is stalling hard right now. This chapter along with the whole arc feels slogged.
The series has to be cooking some M Night Shyamalan level plot twist or a really interesting narrative in order to compensate. Thus far it feels like a REALLY inferior version of Part 1 imo

Dex-chan lover
It's kind of jarring how much Fujimoto's artistic skills have become dull when compared against his illustrations in Part 1.
Might have something to do with how some of his more artistically talented assistants stopped working with him and managed to serialize their own manga.

Users who are viewing this thread