Chainsaw Man - Vol. 17 Ch. 167 - Super Smooch

Fed-Kun's army
Wildness aside, does Yoru actually also like Denji? She's kissed him twice now and it looks like she might not be her usual self when she does it. Ch 119 was last time and that was also kinda weird, the kiss came out of nowhere. I'm starting to wonder if War was Chainsawman's lover in her previous life or something.

Dex-chan lover
I did not even consider the cuckquean angle. There's so many horrible things going on in the chapter it's hard to keep it all in your head. Denji got a back alley cuckquean handjob from a tsundere demon that said she didn't care about feelings before getting embarrassed about their kiss.

Come to think of it, isn't Asa also a tsundere? Is this seriously a tsundere cucking a tsundere?

Lord in heaven this manga's peak.
Tsunderes deserve to be cucked. Why should they expect to get the guy they act so terribly to?

Dex-chan lover
What to make of this chapter? Well, here are some thoughts that will attempt to bring some kind of critical analysis to this week's events. So first up, let's think within the context of Chainsaw Man. The insinuation for the last few chapters has been that Denji isn't able to become Chainsaw Man because of everything that has happened to him -- his imprisonment, torture (and subsequent death), the loss of Nayuta and his dogs -- his family, in essence -- this is a low point for Denji across the board, and his inability to access Chainsaw Man in this state is indicative of that devastated state. These last couple of chapters have sort of been a broad attempt by Asa/Yoru and the gang to find a way to bring Chainsaw Man back -- for whatever purposes they each individually have -- but so far, they've met with little success. So why do this? What does sexual liberation have to do with Chainsaw Man? Well, my best guess is that the reawakening of sexual impetus in manga seems to be (from a few manga I've read) a kind of rejuvenation/rebirth for the characters involved -- having sex is an archetypal sign of strength and vigor, and I think that applies across cultures. So, even though Denji didn't exactly have sex here (and what events took place are a bit difficult to ascertain at the present), he did achieve climax, which I think can be linked back to this archetypal idea that having sex, or a healthy libido, is a sign of return to form, or power. But we have to balance this literary phenomenon against the specific context of Chainsaw Man -- i.e., Denji's frustration and guilt over the fact that he has sexual desire when so much terrible stuff has happened to him. What got him into this mess in the first place was his angst over wanting to experience things like the pleasure of eating (sushi) and the pleasure of coitus, and his immediate reaction was to castigate himself over having felt that. For Denji to have participated in this act then was, in a sense, a sort of liberation from that guilt -- a guilt which I think we can safely extend to the wider contours of being Chainsaw Man as a whole -- he's already said he isn't a hero because he wants to be, but rather, because he likes the attention and fame (particularly from fans of the female persusaion). There's a lot of guilt involved in that though, and I think it's intimately tied up to these feelings of wanting more for himself. That is, if I had to pin it down, the root of these issues. Wanting to have sex is an extension of that -- so for me, Denji and Yoru having this... whatever it is is a bit of a heavy handed attempt by Yoru to give Denji what he wants so that he can release that guilt and go back to being Chainsaw Man -- to accept his want of the good life and move forward instead of beating himself up over it. I could be totally wrong, and if I am, that's okay. I just figured I'd toss my hat into the ring on what has to be one of the most... difficult CSM chapters to parse thus far.
May I suggest paragraphs so that this can actually be read?

Double-page supporter
just post the shinji screencap already guys. We know you have it lined up.
:smug:
images

Dex-chan lover
I think Asa was as much an active participant in this as Yoru was, even if Yoru was visually "in control" the whole time. The last couple of arcs have shown their personalities slowly melding together, and one of the key ways Fujimoto is visually communicating that is the scars gradually fading in and out when Asa and Yoru are on the same page about something (when they're arguing about something, the scars always appear or disappear between panels).

The next to last page highlights this: the scars gradually fade out, and Asa still has Yoru's eyes even once they're gone. I think that page shows that they had a shared emotion about what was happening, and the intensity of it them bound them together even more tightly.

Dex-chan lover
CoomerMan arc is finally here and Fujimoto is threatening SJ to keep him on the platform.

Dex-chan lover
This is fuckin incredible. Denji is even more confused than ever before.

Fed-Kun's army
Two things:
1. Was not expecting that particular Evangelion reference when I opened this chapter.
2. Funniest part is that Yoru left the aftermath to Asa in the second to last panel.

Users who are viewing this thread