Chibikko Kenja, Lv. 1 Kara Isekaide Ganbarimasu! - Vol. 3 Ch. 13 - I have mixed feelings...

Fed-Kun's army
@onion_horse good point. I always thought that there needed to be a distinction whether any capabilities like making connections and applying experience lose efficiency. Brains are easy to change, and size does not matter too much. The question rather: is the brain totally reformed? Of course, our memories and habits are transferred. But, will our instinctual desires control our actions more? Since, we are essentially ctrl+v over a child’s brain. Furthermore, does the habits of the body transfer over as well? Then, that means the neurons are included.

It’s just an afterthought ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dex-chan lover
@onion_horse but how do we know that the mind would have to regress in order to cram itself? it's not like we've actually moved someone's mind from an older body to a younger body....no?

right?

You haven't seen my basement. 😬🤣

It is speculation for fun, of course, but if you think in terms of basic developmental physiology or neurophysiology, children's brains aren't capable of the same things that adult brains are capable of, because they're still developing. If you think about how complex human brains are, and how long they take to finish "growing up," it's not surprising at all that she would have problems fitting an adult consciousness into a child's brain. (I can't believe I just wrote that... dayum.)

But cramming an adult consciousness in there wouldn't necessarily create an adult brain-- it would create some aspects of one, maybe? But others aspects would have trouble manifesting due to a "lack of computing power," I suppose?

Also that "adult consciousness" wouldn't have an impact on the other hormonal functions of a kid's body at that age, which would also affect her mental/emotional state. Enough to regress a little? Maybe?

Thinking in terms of Natural Imperatives, children have evolved a lot of specific behaviors adults don't engage in (selfishness, lack of empathy, etc.) that they usually "grow out of," but those behaviors serve a vital evolutionary purpose for the "young," in terms of competing against other "young" for resources and surviving to adulthood, where those behaviors become social disadvantages... for the most part. (Some people obviously don't shed those young behaviors.)

It's just idle speculation, anyway. But I like the idea that human physiology could play an actual role in an isekai, and that the form you take on would start to influence your thinking.

@SweatyBrie @Wolvenworks The brain isn't fully developed until you reach 25 years old. The limbic system (emotions), the cerebral cortex (higher thought), and the prefrontal cortex (personality development) to name a few would all still be developing in an 8 year old.

Dex-chan lover
How can frank treat his horned rabbit so bad :(

@Wolvenworks It makes more sense that you would regress emotionally as a body has to develop and grow. moving to a younger body from an older body is going to change that. Emotions are not something depend on memories, but our memories help us manage our emotions, though you are still in a body that isn't used to the hormones, change in chemicals and new experiences. It would be like trying a new drug. Emotions are like the connections between the body soul and community and it takes a bit to solidify the connection my man

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, it's not often addressed, but children and adults aren't just mentally different because of experience. Their brains are physically different.

You'll never get an adult in a kid's body in reality, so we'll only play by fictional rules, but in theory, yeah. Reincarnators and people like the little sage here would probably become more immature by physical limitation.

I think people are attributing too many of the differences between a child and an adult's brain to physical age. Just look at the brain development of a feral child, it's clear that a great deal of our growth originates from the things we do. Our brains grow because we use it, and areas of our brain that "mostly grow in later stages of life" may very well just grow later simply because a child does not need it (as much, or at least in the child's perception).
The way you've grown up dictates the development of areas of your brain, and if a consciousness is to be transferred, such development should be replicated in the host brain. Regressing to a child implies to me that this did not happen, which in fact makes it quite a different person.

Anyway, more than anything I'm just happy that it was mentioned at all. Too many isekais just have the characters acting really unnaturally for a "modern day person" without addressing it.

Also, I think it's fair to say that a modern day person would be quite distressed in these situations either way. For most of us, our lives are so far away from any real conflict that we're almost certainly as naive as a child in such a world.

couldn't she like, you know, shoot a big ass spell and kill all the monsters or smt

Yeah, logically the best way is for her to AOE blast big clumps of enemies.

I wasn't expecting this but now I'm intrigued, hopefully this delves deeper into psychology of mental regression and how she deals with it.

I'm hoping something tragic happens to force her to snap and somehow revert back to full mental functionality, at least temporary, would likely have some adverse side effects too

Maybe I'm expecting too much from this now but I can hope

@Sethraw
Pretty sure they said something earlier about her magic being too dangerous and she's going along with it cos *they're the adults* or something like that

I like that they aren't glossing over having an underdeveloped mind. After all if it didn't affect their thinking then being drunk, druged or concussed wouldn't affect their mental state either.

Dex-chan lover
Shouldn't she had used Area Heal?
Since the battle wa happening in the whole city and not just Amanda?

Double-page supporter
What was author smoking when she wrote such a flawed character who doesn't act her true age? Damn it, why haven't I dropped this manga? Why am I still expecting something actually decent from this?

Edit: Oh, they actually finally address the regression(finally acknowledging the character actions despite her experience from 19years of previous life) but she glossed it over as just my imagination.... But still makes all the frustrating moment alot easier to read.

Dex-chan lover
i really dont understand why people are so heated about this manga lol. I read so many shitty isekais with useless protags but none of them get the heat this does in the comments

Users who are viewing this thread