Chiisai Boku no Haru - Vol. 3 Ch. 29 - 7 Years Later

Dex-chan lover
OKAY time for this guy to revive his last manga which was personally way funnier

Fed-Kun's army
"Holding hands is still pretty hard." My guy, after 7 years?

Edit: Wait, he may have a point. Walking while holding hands always feels awkward to me, so I always put my arm around my partner's shoulder. Feels better on my arm and shoulder rather than holding hands and letting them hang there. I highly doubt that's why he's saying it, though.
I took this to mean that holding hands was hard because of the height difference

Dex-chan lover
7 Years Later
Haha, this comic and it's terrible time skips! :dogkek:

I quite liked this comic, but it was terribly unfocused. It didn't focus clearly on the romance, because it wanted to show us their volleyball training and matches, but then it would skip out on almost the entirety of those said matches and only show us a brief glimpse of it, and not even show us the aftermath of those matches.

As I joked about, the time-skips over the matches and the tournaments kind of felt like slaps to the face after all the build-up towards them, and these were the things that kept getting in the way of the romance, which only made it worse.

Also this ending feels frustrating; one of the points of this comic seemed to be about overcoming your (literal) shortcomings and raising to the challenge, and MC had been doing that, slowly building up his skills as a coach and as a player...
and then he completely drops off in the last chapter, off screen, for no discernible reason? Why? It just feels so disappointing and like a failure of the MC, not because it didn't make it, but it seems like he gave up.
Why did his coaching skills get worse and worse throughout school? Why did he apparently not join a more prominent volleyball team during uni?
And then we're supposed to believe he became a fantastic coach again as a school teacher? Why?

This ultimately comes across as more of a slice of life comic with some sports and romance elements, rather than a romance or sports comic. Up until the last chapter, it was status quo, and no match or romantic development really changed anything.

So this gets a "playing with a deflated volleyball outta ten" from me.
It was enjoyable, but could have been better.

Dex-chan lover
Woah. Yeesh. Yet another time skip.

It was nice, but it's so clear the pacing was all over the place, going back to when the author first took a long hiatus.

Dex-chan lover
Of all the possible endings this was the worst with no commitment to any of the things setup.

The more interesting option would have been the Short king should have been a pro volleyball player as he worked to overcome as the manga had shown to this point. Main girl should have been unable to play volley ball and the dynamic changed as she supports him. Or she struggles to overcome the injury like mc did with his height.

After 7 years the relationship should have been in the comfortable girlfriend/married.

Overall disappointing ending.

Dex-chan lover
7 years together and he hasn't put a baby in her?
While she's travelling as an athlete in the company of other athletes??
It's not looking good Souta-bros.

jak

Contributor
So axe I assume? Also why do the "She might never play again" cliffhanger?

Dex-chan lover
I don’t get why people are so bummed by the ending. I think it’s fitting.

Asahi became a pro and is currently at the peak of her performance and career. They are quite young yet and they are clear in love with each other. The ending shows that he, even having not fulfilled his dream of becoming a professional volleyball player, has a satisfying career and life. It shows that she was able to reach her dream - a dream which was much more at reach than his - but is still very much in love with him. If they are not “together”, it’s more due to the fact that she is obviously focused on her career, not that they don’t like each other. Hell, the girl is the ace of a national volleyball team, pretty much an elite athlete, and she still makes time to go out spend time with Souta. Not only that, it’s a precious time for her.

So, no, I don’t see that as a bad ending. People have this expectation that all stories must have a closed and tight ending, but life isn’t about that. The story shown on this manga had an ending (Souta’s coming of age) - their story (Asahi’s and Souta’s) is still ongoing.

Dex-chan lover
I don’t get why people are so bummed by the ending. I think it’s fitting.

Asahi became a pro and is currently at the peak of her performance and career. They are quite young yet and they are clear in love with each other. The ending shows that he, even having not fulfilled his dream of becoming a professional volleyball player, has a satisfying career and life. It shows that she was able to reach her dream - a dream which was much more at reach than his - but is still very much in love with him. If they are not “together”, it’s more due to the fact that she is obviously focused on her career, not that they don’t like each other. Hell, the girl is the ace of a national volleyball team, pretty much an elite athlete, and she still makes time to go out spend time with Souta. Not only that, it’s a precious time for her.

So, no, I don’t see that as a bad ending. People have this expectation that all stories must have a closed and tight ending, but life isn’t about that. The story shown on this manga had an ending (Souta’s coming of age) - their story (Asahi’s and Souta’s) is still ongoing.
Granted we knew ace-kum was coming. I think a heavy part of the problem is the unnecessary time skips. The seven years really makes the relationship seem like it's on a treadmill not getting anywhere. This chapter really had to cinch that they had moved forward but it really only confirmed what we already knew. They like each other. It would have been better if atleast they acknowledge she was his girlfriend or they were in a committed relationship. As it is now it seems like he's just a precious friend Asahi stops in to check on.

The timeskips are a problem im that the mangaka sets up all these important volleyball matches then actually skip over them. I wanted to see Souta'a team win the match. Which was part of the Mangas problem the unfocused nature.

Supporter
DSC6065-Redigera1-890x467.jpg

That was quick.​

Dex-chan lover
For all of the people bitching in the comments go read Blue Box. Its the perfect little sports rom-com with all of your favorite little cliches written extremely well. This story however was always just something light and fun and didn't ever take itself too seriously.

This story however is a fun little romp where both people play the same sport but are at completely different ends of the spectrum. It doesn't dive in too deep on the sport or make much of a big deal about the romance because is focusing on the growth of each character and how their relationship affects one another. This is a story about "youth".

But even then sports and romance are the backbone that keeps these two together. Souta still plays volleyball and Asahi still likes him. you look at him coaching his school team and go "lame". You look at her basically saying "i love you" and holding hands and think "I don't know if they're together?". But the ending is so perfect with them hitting the volleyball and them saying that hey can stop at anytime (meaning both volleyball or love) and them just silently continuing to hit it. That last bit is actually the best.

If you want more sports with light romance elements I recommend. Go read Sesuji wo Pin! and Shudan written by, Yokota Takuma.

Dex-chan lover
Remember that the author was very sick, unable to draw for almost a year. I'm sure this affected the manga a lot. Authors usually rush to go back to work even when they are not in full health due to editorial pressure and fear of not being published again.
I enjoyed the manga and even liked the rushed end, though obviously I would rather preferred something more elaborated.
Overall, I think it's a nice reading.
Thank you for the translation!

I don't understand if the authors don't like their own mangas or if they are incapable of creating really satisfying and romantic endings just because they are bad xd it's the same as wotaku's inkya, it's like they put effort into making the ending, least romantic and satisfying as possible

Users who are viewing this thread