Chrome Android: Chapters won't load :fixed:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm consistently getting the "Image # failed to load" error. After I refresh, maybe one or 2 pages load, but if I refresh again, the pages which loaded previously fail to load, and maybe some other pages will load.
I've tried cleaning out my cache/deleting cookies as well. It works well for maybe one chapter, but if I read another chapter/series, I start getting the aforementioned error. Then, I delete the cache again and this loop never ends

For some reason, this error seems to appear only on chrome Android. I'm able to load chapters with no difficulty on other Android browsers

Dex-chan lover
Stop using chrome because it sucks? Serious though I used to use chrome. Then it just gets worse with every update. My last straw was when it removed the flags to hide/disable news articles and ads. Moved to Opera and I no longer have stupid problems like that again. Also Chrome android can't load a 30k fanfic without any complicated scripts or heavy images on ao3 without freezing and crashing. Guess which browsers don't have that problem? Any other browsers not are not chrome android :D

Fed-Kun's army
Clear your cache and kill the app. Try now.
If that doesn't work, use Mangadex's data saver option and try the previous step again.
I had this problem with Brave Android, it's based on chromium so it might also work.

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
Device:
OS + version:
Browser + version
Whether you've got any adblockers/script blocking/anything unusual installed as a browser add-on:
If you're using an ISP with a history of blocking things:
Have you switched your DNS servers:
If you've tried a VPN:
Have you tried MD in an incognito tab:
Have you tried MD in a different browser:
Have you cleared site data/cookies for MD:

Aggregator gang
@BraveDude8
Since I'm getting the same problems, I'll post my info too. (Updated Chrome, to no avail.)

Device: Pocophone F1
OS version: Android 9 PKQ1.180729.001
Browser: Chrome 89.0.4389.86
No VPN or any other add-ons.

Pages don't load even in incognito mode. Tried on desktop and MD works just fine. When I set to "compressed images" some pages load, but most don't.

Before latest Mdex upgrade it was working fine, now it's just infinite loading icon :(
Only able to read Mdex on PC

Contributor
Chrome and Chrome Beta with no addons both work for me (Oneplus 5 running Android 10).
My only guess is maybe chrome on some device (for reasons only known to god and some developer who drank himself to an early death) is having trouble with MDatH using ports that are not 443. So maybe forcing MDatH to use 443 in the settings will do something.

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
@RogueKitsune If it was :443, it should have caused this flood in issues months ago.
Unless they updated Chrome the same day we updated the reader.

@pataponaccount Try Firefox, narrow down whether it's your phone or your browser.
Mobile internet or home WiFi?

Contributor
@BraveDude8 I know it unlikely but I have seen some weird things when I did QA work on mobile apps (7-8 years ago).
Example there was an issue on the HTC Evo 3D where trying to open a hyperlink from the app would cause the app to crash if the user used the stock Android browser.

Anywhom, make sure things like 'Lite mode' are off. Maybe play around with 'secure dns' and 'safe browsing' settings as well.

Aggregator gang
@BraveDude8
I tried my phone's default browser (which is Opera-based) and the images load fine there. Used different WiFi connections and mobile data, the problem is still the sam regarding Chrome.

Installed Opera and MD also loads properly.

Aggregator gang
@carbotaniuman
It didn't load images properly with whatever old version I had of Chrome, so I updated to 89.0.4389.86 as I mentioned before. It worked for a while, but came back after a few reads.

I'm currently reading MD with the latest version of Opera, but can't really permanently change browsers just because of a single website just yet. 😅

Same problem - has been happening since around the server upgrade. Will be able to read fine for a while and then images just stop loading. Especially noticeable on long strip manga - some pages will load and others always fail despite reloading (not in sequence). Have tried the fixes besides vpn and different browser. Appears to be a chrome issue based on other reports here and in the bugs section.

Device: Samsung s10e
OS + version: Android 11
Browser + version: chrome 89.0.4389.86
Have you tried switching MD@H Port Limit in account settings to 443: yes
Whether you've got any adblockers/script blocking/anything unusual installed as a browser add-on: no
If you're using an ISP with a history of blocking things: no
Have you switched your DNS servers: yes
If you've tried a VPN: no
Have you tried MD in an incognito tab: yes
Have you tried MD in a different browser: no
Have you cleared site data/cookies for MD: yes

I have the same issue, however when I restart my phone the issue seems to be gone for a few hours to a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread