Clarification on rules and moderation

Clarification on rules and moderation

• Yes, I believe that the current rules should be more clearly defined and fleshed out so that all loo

Votes: 591 26.1%
  • No, I believe that the rules are fine as written and that current moderation efforts are satisfactor

Votes: 1,448 64.0%
  • No, I believe that the moderation team is too harsh and rules should be more lax.

Votes: 224 9.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Group Leader
I very much prefer being lax about things than mods cracking down on users.

Aggregator gang
I feel like the rules should probably be a little more clearly defined and loopholes should be closed just for clarity, but I also feel like the amount of moderation has been pretty good. I have only seen a little bit of it done anytime recently on chapter threads, and it has mostly just been for nerds yelling at eachother over multiple posts over how an MC is a virgin or which waifu is the best.

I mean, the general rule of "Don't be a dick" and adherence to it as far as moderation seems to keep everything in a good spot.

Dex-chan lover
On option 1: Gödel and Tarski aside, if a person truly wants to do something evil, no amount of rules and regulations will/can stop him, even if said evil turns out to be rather petty.

On option 2: There are a few things about the rules that might be improved, or some rules might even be removed. (Specially rules that might be enforced Minitrue style.)

On option 3: Aren't we already rather lax? Or is someone saying that we should just let KM and other pox-filled aggregators just sweep in?

To conclude: let's not have drama and pride destroy the site. The sun shines on both the good and the evil, there's no need to blot out the sky simply because of our egos.

Contributor
Eh, this is the unavoidable consequence when you give to people too much freedom, i was against a comment section and forum so big in the first place because indeed i knew that this will have to happen now or later as much as the community grow. Is proportionally related. Enforce more the rules and limit the space where people can comment aggressively is the only way, and indeed hire more mods. After all this is a scanlator webservice, non a place like batoto. My2c.

Contributor
If possible, I'd like only half of option 1, "Yes, I believe that the current rules should be more clearly defined and fleshed out so that all loopholes are closed."Better definition to current rules is great, since they are just more clear and don't actually change the rules and closing unintentional loop holes is for the best. As for moderation, I think it's fine as it is. Otherwise, I think I would prefer option 2.

Contributor
Do I feel the moderation is already good mmm...~?
Yes mmm...

But there's always room for improvement, and yes there is a room for improvement mmm...

A lot has already been said but I generally agreed that so far has been fine. There is always drama, some just blows up out of proportion. Also think that people these days are too sensitive. All the credit pages that I have seen are either funny, or just stupid that I didn't care about it, but apparently it was enough to hurt people's little feelings.

Aggregator gang
There's mention about loopholes and some people here talking about drama. So, what had I missed?

Personally, I'd split rules between "Upload Rules" and "Conduct Rules", with conduct placed first. There's a lot more responsibility behind uploading, anyway. I would also add a link to said page/section to the upload form.

Other than that, on brief skim, the rules seem fine.

Dex-chan lover
Mangadex should be far stricter with novel prophets in my opinion. The current "Please place your spoilers in spoiler tags" edits aren't doing much. Maybe 80% of members with novel knowledge do use the spoiler tags fluently, but still a good number of people don't care at all, they will post their spoilers plainly visible any time they can. I enjoy commenting on chapters and reading other people's opinions on the stuff going on as well, but that enjoyment is marred by the knowledge that sooner or later I will accidentally read major spoilers, despite never clicking the spoiler button. It's a reality of life that some people couldn't care less unless there's a solid punishment for their actions. MD should give a single warning and then temporary bans.

Other than that, everything's fine as far as I can see. I don't particularly like draconian moderation outside of spoilers.

Contributor
For the most part, the moderation is fine. There really is only so much one can do with people these days, especially if they want to be overly sensitive about something.

However, the question then becomes, what are the limits that you are specifically giving the scanlators in regards to "insulting"? Are they being held to the same standards as the readers in that regard, despite it not being in the comment/forums?

In regards to the "sniping", Maybe the scanlators can actually try to work out something right here in the forums, kind of a public discussion and try to decide what would be a reasonable amount of time before another group jumps in, or to iron out other issues. Just a matter of them being respectful towards one another despite having different opinions.

This site can be more than simply an aggregate site. Just a matter of getting past some issues.

I dont know about dramas or anything. I use mangadex as a platform to read and maybe coment here and there and never got any trouble. So from my point of viewe I think moderation is fine as it is, people who ask for more moderation are people with too much free time that instead of using to read they use it to have conflicts here where it shouldt be place. At least not important enough that you need to complain to the webmasters and moderators.

To this date, we have only removed *one* credit page because it contained a highly offensive reference to the New Zealand shooting.

And that removal was misguided and hypocritical. "Highly offensive" is entirely subjective and arbitrary, the lunatics wanting to thought-police the internet make no distinction between that specific credit page and hundreds of other, benigh things - to them all things they don't like is litertally genocide, that's the entire point why they want it gone. If you take a stance of not being a thought police then there should be no exceptions, barring things that actually break the law.

And in practice that removal only meant now there is a chapter missing in the middle of a series - a chapter that I had to look up on the scanlator's site, being exposed to even worse distasteful shit in the process.

Personally I believe we should have a bit more moderation in the stance of user content, but it’s really good so far. Loopholes should be completely shut, regardless of option 1 or 2 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread