Combating Misinformation: Official Statement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Instead of getting mad at the readers for being irrational idiots for even getting mad at a group for not uploading something to a certain place , everyone is just playing the pass the blame game.

Remember that this whole thing is illegal? Scanlating is illegal? Scanlator groups are doing illegal stuffs, and mangadex is hosting illegal stuffs. Readers are using illegal stuffs.

Yet everyone here who are readers are getting mad because they think they're entitled to having access to these illegal works at their most conveniences.

Seriously, I don't get why this is even a drama at all. Everyone trying to prove that they are the lesser evil? Mangadex is better cause they are hosting illegal works for free? Scanlator groups are better cause they "have the right" to their illegal works?

Honestly, all of you should just learn to appreciate the things you have right now. Appreciate mangadex for hosting without ads, appreciate scanlator groups for translating and uploading works. This whole shit show of a drama wouldn't even be an issue if every single one of you entitled brats just grow up and appreciate whatever you have currently instead of asking for something that you put no work and effort in.

If you don't like this site, go read somewhere else. If a certain group is not hosting their work here and you want to read it, go find it somewhere on the net, we have google for f sakes.

The blame is with the readers, stop directing hate toward people who are providing free illegal contents for us. Grow up.

Contributor
@PSRTExperience
No that's not even remotely what I'm saying lmao, work on your reading comprehension jfc. I'm saying that non-constructive comments that have nothing to say beyond "you suck" are entirely worthless and allowing that kind of low quality posting goes against the goal of wanting a higher quality community. I'm sure you're old enough to have gone to school and learned what constructive criticism is, so I shouldn't have to explain this to you.

Fed-Kun's army
@acolytus
I get what you meant, but there would be no more future chapters notification for it ;( which is sad and that is what im griped the most.

Group Leader
Honestly, I wonder what the scanlators who decided to leave are doing. I hope this decision of theirs will not be the cause of their demise. As much as I don't agree with their decision, I pray that they can continue to be motivated and work hard since this is evidently one of their hobbies that they're passionate about.

Also, thank you for the clarification. The gatekeeping part was particularly great, because it needs to be emphasised in this community. Once again, thanks :).

Dex-chan lover
@TheDefend Well, yeah, that would be even worse than being too kind, it would be outright stupid to notify people that a group that left MD uploaded a new chapter to their website. You are giving them exactly what they want and getting nothing in return.

I'm also mad that we lost so many chapters and we won't get any new ones here but there is little we can do, they chose to not be part of this community anymore.

Guess I will have to go to one of those shitty aggregators to read any new chapters because I'm certainly not giving those who left any views or ad revenue.

Damn I'm being possessed to read and reply this again. Well whatever 😀

@acolytus I suppose going neutral instead of banning the said person for MD is the wisest choice regardless of the tantrum they got thrown into. I fully agree on MD's stance on this since this place is only platform for scanlators to do whatever they want as long as it is still within the rules. I'm aware that loopholes within rules can be contradictory to this statement, but let me remind you this: when there is a rule, there is a loophole. If this loophole is getting truly abusive for many scanlators, you may think of it as a bad move and be one of dislikers (I don't know the proper word here) to report the abuse or simply ignore it because it's none of your business. That's always how rules are maintained, arranged, or dropped.

Even if a ban is too much, they should at least lose their scanlator status and any perks that might come with that since they don't plan to be part of this community as one.

Let me remind you that MD has no right to ban scanlators. MD is just a ONE aggregated manga platform to place scanlated work, and helping them to more easily reaching readers showing their scanlations.

I'm with MD with this one, it sucks that some of the manga's I've been following have been removed but I'd gladly go to a site that doesn't have intrusive ad and is free than go somewhere where the ad is bigger than the image. Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against the other Scanlator's that pulled out of MD. To me, I'd rather stay at MD than other Manga hosting sites like K*Manga.

For my personal opinion, the "community" being toxic against Scanlator's are bad, of course, but there's so much that MD can handle and the fact that they did address this months before is proof that they do look out for the community. I do understand where MD is coming from though, if a question has been asked multiple times (referring to donation transparency) it kinda gets annoying, it's like dealing with a person with Alzheimer's asking the same question over and over again and it can get irritating.

I read everything from ixlone's post to months before post of MD regarding about harassments and Zeph's current wall of text and I'll take MD's side on this one. Apologies to anyone offended.

Signed (lol)

Long time reader, but first time poster. Here's my two cents.

Honestly the blowblack from this won't be on MangaDex (MD) or any of the scanlator groups. It'll largely be on the end consumer. The reality of the situation is : people want one site to read all their manga. People come to MangaDex for a large collection of manga to read; Mangadex provides a rival to aggregate sites like kissmanga etc. Even if scanlattion groups pull out of MD it doesn't stop the aggregate sites from just ripping their content. People don't like going to 4 or more different manga sites just to read what they like, this is why users end up using these aggregate sites. It's better to just set a LARGE delay and include a link to the site in the MD reader (people like to track their chapter progress especially if they miss a couple of releases).

Regarding the toxicity I really do think the mods should step up. Over- censorship is a very large issue on some platforms but under-censorship is also an issue that platforms have and we need some form of policing of forums so that scanlation groups are protected from unwarranted online toxicity. However the root of the problem lies within the community, some people inside this community really need to grow the fuck up.

I hope that MD and the scanlation groups can re-negotiate and come to an agreement because at the end of the day we're taking a step backwards away from a better tomorrow.

Dex-chan lover
My favorite part about this is when it gets pointed out repeatedly that JB pissed off the MD community with its two-week delays and then the posters on JB's side keep arguing that the problem is that the community is too toxic.

Yeah let me just visit all of my neighbors and take a giant shit in their living rooms.
Wow what a surprise that they beat the shit out of me??
Did I do anything wrong? No, it must be because the neighborhood is toxic.

Like did they actually not know two-week delays would piss people off?
The same goes with the stunt they tried to pull a few days ago.
Did they expect to actually get pity or respect from making that thread?
If you do some really stupid shit, expect people to think you are really stupid.

Inb4 someone calls me a "MD shill" because I am not bowing down to scan groups like JB and Meraki as if they are gods (funny how readers are always accused of being entitled leeches when we aren't sucking scanlator cock but the same people who accuse readers of being entitled never stop to think about how some scanlators feel entitled to being respected without exception)
I'd shit on MD too if they actually did something wrong. Even the posts that explain things from JB's side like the Rentry post from ObserverofTIme on page 5 iirc did nothing to make me sympathize for JB or Meraki, since MD still never did anything wrong.

Yeah sure there are always gonna be shitty people who will harass scanlators for no good reason at all but to generalize readers under the same category and then wonder why readers are all of a sudden angry is a really dumb train of thought. It'd be like me generalizing all scanlators being JB but that is not true at all and a bit far too disrespectful to these scanlators that don't like to cause drama.

Dex-chan lover
@Exmover I can agree with everything except the last part. If we were talking about a scanlator who is part of this site or hasn't joined yet I would agree but in this case we are talking about people who willingly chose to leave this place and they didn't exactly do it in the nicest terms, otherwise this thread exposing the bullshit lie they used to leave wouldn't exist.

I'm not saying they should ban or remove the scanlator status/perks that the website gave them to any scanlator group who leaves MD, I'm only talking about this particular bunch of groups that not only tried to harm MD with their lies and their actions, but also went their own claims that they would leave the community by coming back to post in the comment sections, not even to say anything useful but just to stirr up shit. Allowing them to have continued access to MD and whatever perks the scanlator status gives you here is just asking them to show up whenever they want to cause trouble. After all, even if they get banned after doing that, that wouldn't exactly be a loss for them.

I still don't understand the anger on sniping. While I haven't officially becoming translator yet (Still studying on making it happen), I dabbled a little in trying to scan, clean (mostly just bubble cleaning) and typeset a doujin I myself bought. (Translations mostly from asking friends at that time), and it's a huge undertaking alone! But from there what I felt was

"I do this because I enjoy it, and if other people enjoys reading it then I'm satisfied"

So from there I can infer if someone else sniped something I'm working on and it's on good quality / better quality than mine? I'll just drop that current chapter and do next chapter. Unless they have shown that they want to keep continuing it then I can relax and maybe look at a new series to work on.

But hey I'm not any official things yet so probably shouldn't have posted :p

So some scanlation groups started crying and pulled their manga off MD because MD wouldn't capitulate to their oppressive demands? Color me surprised! If these scanlation groups had confidence in their work they'd look past the idiots leaving hate comments in chat but we all know that's not what this is all about. This is all about said groups losing money because of reduced traffic to their sites.

Dex-chan lover
@scrubp I instantly lost any sympathy I could have had for the groups that left the moment I saw fucking JB signing that post.

I don't even know what they were thinking when they agreed to have that group be part of their "exodus". Even inviting neo-nazis to a pro-free speech movement wouldn't be as detrimental to your cause as that.

@TheOneWhoSighs

i'm gonna go out on a limb and say that i sympathize with the idea that MD made a statement that was more inflammatory than its potential alternatives, and that it was irresponsible because they do have a large audience. in believing that, my primary concern would be assurances that it would not happen again. as such, i find it hard to sympathize with your posts on the whole, because they read as though they're more interested in vindication of your perceptions of the staff. i don't say this to discredit you, but rather to point out that communicating your ideas in such a way makes it very easy for MD to have better optics than you simply by ignoring you. they can appear to make aforementioned assurances simply by positioning themselves as non-aggressive and non-retaliatory in juxtaposition to your posts repeatedly targeting them. in the end, because i sympathize with my best-case interpretation of your goals, i'd advise you to edit your first post to focus less on their inability to prove you wrong and more on how they can do better in the future, suggestions of the sort you made in later posts. i think it's much more difficult to ignore a well-meaning suggestion that points out a mistake than to ignore a hostile condemnation.

Dex-chan lover
to shitpost or not .
anyway,how many active group in mangodex is?
seems they are pretty chill

Group Leader
@darkfenrir Personally, I don't mind getting sniped because I'll get over it, but I do understand the mentality behind it so I guess I could tell you even-though-you-didn't-ask-for-it-hahaha.

When one gets sniped, two main thoughts come out:
1. This is poor etiquette on the sniper
2. They just wasted my time and effort
The less apparent but evident in some situations is "I really wanted to do this series and so now I have to compete with them" which is stressful.

The etiquette thing is a lot like a group poaching, because it's just been nailed into your mind that this is bad so if it occurs one'll see it as something negative. It's just like sniping. Most people in scanlation hate it, so they spread that ideology and then it can grow to be a big bad mess like this.

Time and effort is kind of self-explanatory. Scanlating takes time, and people just don't like having their precious time wasted.

Although, forming a joint resolves this sniping issue, but some people just don't dig that route. Oh wells.

Dex-chan lover
@Dysisa If it's suck then there's nothing wrong with saying it's suck. It's a fucking comment section, not a place for the reader to tell the scanlation how to do their job. Little people actually cares enough to point out every single thing which suck, because when something's quality doesn't meet their standard they move on to a better alternative if available.

Criticism no matter what kind add to the discussion and the comment section purpose is to do just that, which include saying 'this thing fucking suck'. Speak of sucking, I'm sure if you stop sucking dick and use your head for its intended purpose for one second, I wouldn't have to explain this to you but here we are.

@Memorable it's alright for replies! I made that post, so if I get replies it happens. I understand where you came from though, even the one I'm working on (tfw only 1/3rd of the way) has another group possibly going to scanlate it and they probably will do far better work than me- but it kinda will take what? A year and not released yet now? Don't want to sound entitled so I probs should stop here.

On time and effort it's understandable... but sometimes that just happens? Not sure if I'm laid-back or or for this thing o+<

Overall, I won't fuss too much over sniping beyond griping in private groups.

Dex-chan lover
i guess regardless of time and space there will always be that one guy who bitches and whines about something...this is why we can't have world peace; because the frenchies are prolly gonna go to war over pain au chocolat vs chocolatine. absurd innit? but i think people are more likely to go to war with stuff like oppai vs thighs. still better than all this drama tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread