Combating Misinformation: Official Statement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fed-Kun's army
FjYusgB.png

Just wanted to say thanks for this option.
Looking at the list of removed stuff it was like...3-4 series I was actually reading, but I'm lazy and it helps.

Aggregator gang
@Tenri Thanks for showing me the option, real nice.

And thanks Mangadex for actually having the option. Probably a lot less petty than I thought upon making my original post in here. Shame for the other groups then.

So much Drama...for so little. After reading over 10 pages of this all i say is this. You make the decision, you pay the conseguence of it. Like @ichigoteguz said I like Mangadex because of the same reason, and if I can't read it here, I probably won't read it at all. Expecially not after reading how they acted. I don't really mind the delay, in fact only once I went to a scanlator website (thanks to MD having a link for it) because it was the end of an arc and there were 3 ch out but delayed. 7 days delay aren't much ...and they even went to 20 days ? absurd, idiocy, illogical ..[insert whatever remark]. Do they really think they made a smart move pulling out of MD ? I for myself will just drop the manga they worked on if they aren't here, I won't die (lol) because of that :D

Keep up the good work you are doing Mangadex Staff.

Dex-chan lover
@Ti0 Nice people and gullible people exist, but how is it relevant to the discussion at hand? No doubt the scanlation groups have nice people too, but nobody deserve respect for acting like decent people. Granted nobody deserve death threat either, but as I and others have said countless time in this threat, you need to not care about mean words on the internet or retreat back into your personal hugbox altogether.

Dex-chan lover
There is one thing in this whole debacle that I'm wondering about: has anything happened internally for the groups involved? I see the first drama thread is signed with names from the respective group leaders; but I have a hard time believing this would be a unanimous decision from each and every single member of each group, I'm not accusing the leaders of springing this up without consulting their members (at least I sure as hell hope they talked to their fellows before going through with this), but assuming scanlator groups are comprised of individuals and aren't hiveminds I wouldn't be surprised if this decision wasn't all that popular with at least a few people within the groups in question, if not outright leading to members dropping.

Twi

@Drakan don’t trust that thread. I visited champion scans site and Sir champion, the same person to have apparently signed, says they were in no way a part of the drama.

Dex-chan lover
@Drakan I assume we would have heard of any member who left the group or opposed their decision by this point.

So far we haven't heard anything from the groups who left, other than @Retard_ showing up to complain about stolen translations in the Solo Levelling chapter and @yunomi shilling JB's new reader.

@Kimzark

Finally seeing someone responded about assassin pride lol. It's truly an underrated gem to be honest.

Out of topic here. Regarding that. I need to state that its raws are only up to chapter 16 around internet. I don't think you should blame this particular scanlator for not updating, since there's no one to translate XD

To the topic. Even if MD tries to clarify this, some will come and offend your stance regardless of what you guys are doing. The risk of now being success, yet you guys handle this poorly by responding this to your so-called small number groups as @zephyrus stated. Yes, this clarification is nice to have, but I'll just put this saying here and leave as silent reader again.

HATERS GONNA HATE

Where are these claims of a bitcoin miner coming from? I've regularly used JB/Meraki/Hatigarm/Chsmpion's sites and I have not noticed any significant drop in my device performance (which is characteristic of bitcoin miners). Let's not spread false information yes?

Group Leader
>We would be able to further support the industry that creates the content we love by promoting official content and passing along revenue to content creators, as well as hire scanlators to work on their titles legally. How is this in any way controversial?

Mainly because of the history with Jewcob/CR I guess. It's a noble goal and all, as long as you don't go taking a DMCA-fuelled high-ground afterwards like them which is what caused a lot of the worry I'd say. Sadpanda has never been the same since, never4getti.

>To date, we have only removed one credit page from a release because it contained an extremely offensive reference to the recent New Zealand shooting.
>tfw Senpai notices you with your own caveat (*´ω`*)

Double-page supporter
@Exmover

while i didnt knew about the raw state (although it feels weird since the 1st chapter translation came around 2 years ago), doesnt change the fact anon dropped it due to pressure from the group. So, while i might have misjudged the translation group about the slow translations, i find making a translation rival drop his/her work, and then leave + delete works because people complaining about them... looks a bit hypocrite to me. The request for anon to take over the translation remains tho, because i dont see them coming back.

Dex-chan lover
@TheOneWhoSighs

just reading through the chat history, so its possible this has already been addressed, btw the convo that was screenshotted was (if memory serves) actually one with me xD though in general chat. Basically what happened was JB had pulled out and didnt want to upload to MD, i was fielding people who were (rather obnoxiously) pinging holo and staff members to ask "where are the JB manga?!" or "You should upload X manga that was scanlated by JB!" I mentioned that it didnt make sense because MD was like the new batoto, and so there was no reason for them to refuse to upload. I said that they should stop spamming the staff of MD, since it was NOT their decision, as JB had to agree instead. So if the people in question wanted to complain to someone, they should not be complaining to holo, since it wasnt his choice anyways. I uh, made fun of JB a bit not gonna lie :p but ya then holo agreed that they should talk to JB instead. I was actually the one who called JB irrational, so it wasnt that holo was saying "they are irrational" he was saying "however irrational you may call them" kinda thing, I was the one who established that fact not holo :p he just didnt disagree. The quotes they took are TOTALLY out of context lol if anything they should be mad at me :p

I also I read all of it and I agree with pretty much all of it.
Notice how in the "Sayonara Mangadex" post the only issue they cover are Holo's posts, but they claim there are even more "issues" they have with the site, but they put forward none of them, only going into a spiral claiming "we scanlators are nothing but tools to their team to create something for themselves"
However in the response Zeph uses well reasoned points to counter points that weren't even made in the "Sayonara" post, and it never seems to get overly emotional or angry. In the end Zeph stayed professional throughout the post, so he wins some points in my book. Still unfortunate people are pulling out of Mangadex.

Hey, @TheOneWhoSighs, thanks for being here to engage in the conversation, I appreciate it. The overwhelming majority of this community loves the work that all you scanlators do.

Honestly, the most annoying problem in this entire debacle is the ungrateful leeches. It is not difficult to be civil with other people, and I feel that those who harass others online should be given a timeout. Believe me, I know it sucks having entitled folk throw tantrums in your DMs—I was forced out of a for-profit project I founded as my devs complained about tabs vs spaces, lol.

However, let's not allow them to represent the entire community. They are a microscopic (but extremely vocal) portion of the online community; they sit behind their keyboards and screw up everything for everyone. Allowing them (and aggregate sites) to win is the most bitter thing about this whole issue.

The majority of us come to MD, soak up some good manga vibes, read the comments for the entertaining keyboard warriors, and then go back into the murky mist of the web. I wish we could show our appreciation for your efforts on MD (outside of liking your group). Two week delay? No problem: I'll click the link, bounce to your site to get my fix, and then mark it as read on MD. (It would be super slick is if we could get reading credit from your site as well :D).

Especially when you have a much larger user base, that is about as loyal as an Apple fan.
We come to MD because it attempts to respect both the scanlators and the readers. No ads for us, and proper credit and creative control for you. That's it. MD is the Steam of manga. When we find a better alternative, we'll bounce to that as well.

To be 100 with you, I wish a solution existed where scanlators are duly compensated, readers are respected, and the original authors are also compensated. I'm fully aware of the challenges that both you and Holo posted, but it is a nice pipe dream, nonetheless.

I really hope that you guys reconcile and we become one happy family again.

Perhaps you could look at it from another perspective—use MD as a platform to disseminate your works and work with MD admins to eliminate harassment. Imagine not having to maintain a web presence (and therefore pass on your donations and whatnot completely to your team/raws as you see fit). Unless ads are a significant portion of your revenue, you can view MD as freely supplying bandwidth, hosting, and management. Not unlike something like hosted Wordpress or one of those fancy headless CMS's.

Cheers, fam.

All the best.

Miku best girl
Admin
@Drakan

Yes, one of Hati's members (Ron) quit and formed his own group in response to this drama.

Dex-chan lover
@Tearling They knew that "We are leaving because we don't agree with the staff not punishing 'toxic' people and how they deal with problems" wouldn't paint them in as much of a positive light as "The staff is planning to become Fakku and steal your work! We won't tolerate their tyranny! SCANLATORS RISE UP!".

And in the case of those who didn't leave for that reason, I'd have respected them more if they just said "we like making a profit out of our work and MD interferes with that so we are leaving" instead of coming up with this dumb narrative that derrailed thread after thread till the staff had to make this one to stop the misinformation. I wouldn't have agreed with their reasons but at the very least I'd have praised their honesty.

I don't really understand which side is right anymore, since in my opinion every party involved in this drama has their own mistakes (the MD, the scanlator group, the community).

I just hope the groups will make up (if it were even possible), and the admin to tighten the rules regarding toxic reader comments and rude credit pages. Stating that MR is only the platform (while it is true, and I can see where your opinion based on), just doesn't fit right somehow. This is your platform, and you gotta moderate it somehow. The unknowing readers who lost their chapters for the drama are probably the ones most at loss here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread