Combating Misinformation: Official Statement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the information provided on this thread.

From my perspective, the removal of their uploads from MD will just lead some of the readers to aggregator sites. I have many friends who use MD, guess what they say when I ask group X left MD because of drama Z and removed manga Y? They just simply said "I will use sites A or app B on my phones", which sadden me but I couldn't do anything.

MD has been a solid platform so far and I couldn't find any problem with it, aside from uncivilized reader and all. I understands if scanlators want people to go to their sites by adding delays. Nothing wrong with that. What's wrong is when scanlators are too greedy (either by wanting the reader to use their sites with the ads or another "legit" reason), by then things will go bad like now. The readers will hurt because of this.

is a Reindeer
VIP
@valconius We have a new user setting called "Unavailable chapters" that lets you see the chapter listings/comment threads but not the actual chapters themselves. Also means you get to mark them as read, like normal

In all honesty I didn't even know that there was a problem until I started noticing that chapters were gone. And after reading up on it..it truly is a shit show of "he said, she said". Anger lead to quick decisions that are ultimately not the best for us readers and supporters. All in all, thank you for taking the time to clarify what has been going on. I, for one will keep supporting this site (tho not financially cuz I'm broke...too much hentai subscriptions). Best of luck to the groups that left.

@valconius

The comment threads don't get deleted, you can see them by going into settings and selecting "Show (For tracking purposes)" at Unavailable Chapters.

Supporter
@ObserverOfTime So is it true that the only reason you don't post chapters here is you "simply don't like MangaDex" or not? Why would you want to sign a statement disparaging MD for reasons you don't even agree with?

Group Leader
A message from whitepod, a former scanlator + translator and friend of mine:
LkP8ha5.png

You will be missed my child

The problem isn't comments though, is it? I remember reading that they tried asking them (the groups) if they wanted to disable comments, but they didn't.

So, basically stuff that could've been avoided if us people mostly the community decided to be decent people instead.
Good to know the internet never change at all.

Really appreciate the transparency and clarification from you guys, I personally think it goes a long way, I'll keep reading the series I still read on here as MD is the best site I know, unfortunately I'll have to use worse site's for the series the groups had removed, as i just won't give their site's my traffic, 1 is not a lot, but 1 eventually add's up if enough people ignore them I would reasonably think.

@ObserverOfTime
Ignoring your bullshit hyperbole "SHOOT THEM" and changing it to "fuck 'em"
X has a delay? How dare they make me wait!
X has a delay to encourage readers to go to their sites so they can profit off of ad revenue and buttfuck your CPU with bitcoin mining? Yeah, fuck em.
Y is not posting on MD? How dare they make me visit their site! SHOOT THEM!
Y isn't posting on Mangadex? Eh, fine whatever. Y isn't posting on Mangadex because they won't make money off of chapters posted on Mangadex? Again, fuck em.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, anyone who demands that they get paid for scanalations is an asshole. Why do you think they have anything to scanalate in the first place? Because as artist is drawing a series of comics that the scan team is editing with Photoshop or MS Paint. How much is said artist making off of their work? Eh, maybe a small fraction of what the scan team paid for a single copy of their work, assuming they even bought a copy instead of just downloading the raws somewhere for free. Other than that, all of the cash you're donating is going into the scanalation team's pockets.
When it comes to scanalating, the author should take priority over anything else. If you want to do fan translations, do it because you love the series and want other people to enjoy it. Encourage people to buy the Japanese versions of they speak moon rune or if they just want to support the authors. Drop a series if it's getting official translations. If you want to make money, get a fucking job. If you want to make money doing translations for manga get a job with a publishing company so you're actually supporting the authors with your translations. Don't be a dick and insist that you deserve monetary compensation just because you photoshopped another person's work when that person didn't even ask you to do so in the first place.
@MisakaxMisaka
Promised Neverland, like a lot of the series JB scanalates, is already getting up to date official English translations. You can also get English paper back copies of the volumes as well. Personally I feel reading it through those means is the right thing to do since the authors actually get paid that way.

Dex-chan lover
@BoringTea
No, the issue stems from certain scanlation groups trying to throw their weight around and getting upset because they weren't heavy enough to move who they wanted to move.

Group Leader
@Jacough But what about a team that releases chapters at the same time as on their site with no delay.
Release chapters regularly as soon as chapters are available in raw and their team can get to it.
They get sniped plus insulted by a random anon, however since its a loophole MD does nothing about it but close off comments because they became toxic.
What do you say about such a group leaving?🤔

Dex-chan lover
/a/nonymous scans got this they'll retranslate everything (hopefully) and shit on jaimins box at the same time

@TheOneWhoSighs . So JB gets an Apology from MD for directing hate to JB. That isn't enough for you. You want MD to apologize for the actions of their community? Thought Policing. You were called out for this, and falsely accuse them of power harrassment? Clear up anything I may've gotten wrong.

I said this on the previous thread but i will say it again. Thank you for the wonderful comedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread