Concerning the US Protests and Our Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am Florida law enforcement catgirl. Please do not be alarmed. Everything will resolve itself shortly, do not involve yourselves further. All brutality accusations are being looked into, so please remain calm and uphold public trust. This website has been reported to my supervisors for investigation, please do not comment further.

Dex-chan lover
@VIII: You missed my point, I don't have some sort of fixation on anti-centrism, and I'm not talking about anyone other than Mangadex's staff, specifically those who composed the initial post and the succeeding ones from other staff members. The reason why the arguments are kicking off here, in a topic that ostensibly forbids this sort of discussion, is because they decided to wax political in the first place; the only reason why they're still going on, I'm willing to wager, is because the majority of posts (along with the most prominent ones) here are either politically correct to some degree, or they've completely missed the inital poster's own surreptitious signaling and express gratitude to MD for their "neutral" position.

I would gladly post the facts and show these people exactly what they're championing, what they're defending, what they're promoting, what they're aiding and abetting--but this is not the place for it. I don't want Mangadex to be that place.

Dex-chan lover
@VIII
Oh, don't get me wrong. The court should definitely judge them and make an appropriate verdict. This whole clown fiesta started because of the lack of accountability when it comes to police brutality. But going overboard isn't going to solve the problem, only make it worse.

Just yesterday, this happened (possibly disturbing) and they tried to write it off as "tripped and fell". In the US, when a normal person does this to a cop, he gets shot. I presume this is not a problem in your country. Nevertheless, I'm sorry that some WOKE game developers made your day slightly worse. This is terrible 😔

Holy shit, watching the USA burn itself to the ground is quite funny. I can understand burning the police precinct but like everything is on fire lol.
The USA seems so weird since it is seems so excessive all the time, excessive force, excessive retaliation, even the city planning itself is excessively large with sprawling lands and everything.
What I'm mostly worried about is how do the riots stop? There's no instantaneous gratification that will signify a "now police are good", like there is no law to pass or revoke so how does anyone know when the protests have worked? Will the riots just continue but slowly diminish or what?

Anyways the most interesting thing here in good ol' Switziland is that the gym lets us not wear masks anymore.
Cheers, hope everyone is safe and sound.

@Halo I too believe in the rule of law and I think that these people should be judged and sentenced, though I can't imagine any subsequent judicial proceedings will every enjoy even a modicum of impartiality and will not be carried simply to cynically appease the masses. Sentencing these people to death would still be a grossly irresponsible. As for police brutality in the US, I am superficially familiar with the numbers and I recognise it as indeed a grave problem, it's too bad this was co-opted by racial activism and people aren't being objective about the real problem.

Dex-chan lover
@Antari As expected, no comment addressing the disturbing pictures of mushroom abuse that came out last month, or the cover-ups that followed across countless other Floridian dungeons. Absolutely disgraceful.

I wasn’t jk when I said I was Florida police. Everything is fine here, relax. Just a little disturbance here and there on the streets.

@pantsman Relax, I was in the state prison just today and gave a black inmate a bag of chips from the canteen. Our race relations are fine.

Dex-chan lover
I feel like these lines from the film Joker sum up the growing situation quite well

Joker: “Ugh, why is everybody so upset about these guys. If it was me dying on the sidewalk, you’d walk right over me. I pass you everyday and you don’t notice me, but these guys, what because Thomas Wayne went crying about them on TV...?”

Murray: “You have a problem with Thomas Wayne?”

Joker: “Yes, I do. Have you seen what it’s like out there Murray? You ever actually leave the studio? Everybody just yells and screams at each other! Nobody’s civil anymore; nobody thinks what it’s like to be the other guy! You think men like Thomas Wayne ever thinks what it’s like to be someone like me, to be somebody but themselves!? They don’t! They think that we’ll just sit there and take like good little boys, that we won’t werewolf and go wild!”

People are in high tensions, and everyone is constantly on edge. They've decided their own cause is righteous and that whatever they do for it or in the name of it is just and therefore whatever they do, no matter how atrocious, is justified in the end.

Emotions are high, and it's hard for people to keep a clam, rational mind about it.

I think because I'm an absurdist with a little bit of Taoist and a whole lot of Buddhist, I just accept that things in life may not make sense and injustice is just as random and arbitrary as justice can be. People want to see order through the chaos, and so create narratives and enemies to fight, they want to pin the vices of the world on a singular cause and launch a crusade against it, when in truth the world is so infinitely complex and full of suffering, that trying to find order or reason in it all, when everything is a million tiny domino falling together by pure chance and by a million decisions no one could have known would result in all of this.

Nothing's really being accomplished. Not by the riots, not by the police officers, nor the reporters and the brands saying vacuous statements on social media. It's ironically dark that in pursuit of justice, we have made everything worse than it would been if the police who had been unlawfully violent would just be thrown in jail and tried by a jury of their peers. Kinda a Taoist mentality of nonaction to resolve problems, but nothing is gained by rioting or violence or what have you.

Ironically, I'll quote Pearl on this one even though I stopped watching Steven Universe a LOOONNNNG time ago
qhAOeol.jpg

Dex-chan lover
Let me do the honors.

ahem

𝐖𝐞 𝐋𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐢𝐧 𝐚 𝐒𝐨𝐜𝐢𝐞𝐭𝐲

Group Leader
@Halo
Here's the link with the audio. https://nypost.com/2020/06/04/buffalo-police-shove-man-to-the-ground-causing-him-to-bleed-from-head/
Those cops are now suspended, and rightfully so, and might be fired. The old guy, I don't know what the hell was he doing, but he certainly did himself no favor... Good thing the military was there as well.

@asmellyfox The riots will stop when enough business owners retaliate back the Korean way. "Get the fuck out of my property or get a hole between your eyes."

Personally George's death was horrible in so many ways. The officers on scene should all be held accountable with serious punishments. At the same time, I believe laws concerning looting should be stronger for the property owners. When you spend years working to open a small business, say a liquor store, and it ends up a burnt wreckage that's ruining your livelihood.
Stop while you can. His death was horrible. Those cops (among many many others) has to be held accountable.

As a small business owner, I would be devastated if our shop was looted. But I would be sad, not mad. Black lives matter.

Dex-chan lover
Mandatory jokes aside, I had like a bunch of things I could have referenced, including but not limited to:
-The Tao Te Ching by Laozi (I've been reading a lot of Taoist literature lately)
-Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison (Used it in another thread and I don't want to repeat myself)
-"Won't Get Fooled Again" by The Who (Funny, and it does reflect my point but might not fit very well)
-"It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" by REM (Same political satire, but kinda hard to take seriously)

I felt Joker was probably the one that fit the best, which is fitting as it predicited a lot of shit that was going to happen, memes aside. @Halo

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
@Tamerlane
Are there any Buddhist or Taoist literature you'd recommend for someone who is curious but not terribly spiritual? I've been curious about various East Asian religions for quite some time but never really bothered to get into it. Strangely enough, re-watching Avatar: The Last Airbender on Netflix has rekindled my vague interest.

Dex-chan lover
Wish we could include "gender politics" in this rule. It's getting old, and I don't want this to turn into another tumblr/twitter/whatever. At the very least, there should be a rule not to create literal(and I'm not using this word metaphorically like folks nowadays do) I mean LITERAL pages worth of discussion between only two people, that's going too far. It should be taken to PMs once it has reached several paragraph replies that have gone back and forth. I think at that point we should be allowed to contact a mod with concern, but I don't know if that is okay to do yet.

Dex-chan lover
I'd consider myself secular/agnostic myself, I just agree with the philosophy.

For Taoism/Daoism, start with the Tao Te Ching. Translation issues aside, it's really short and gives you a basic understanding of the general tenants. If you have trouble with intreptation, auxiliary resources could help like on youtube or through lecturers. (Allan Watts is probably the most famous) I'd recommend getting used to terms like "Wu Wei" and "the Dao" because it makes for good short-hand for studying. Also doing research into psychological fields alongside it can help if you want to get into a more secular version like me. (Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi-which I found out ironically from an episode of EFAP-covers the psychology of "flow" which is what Taoism seeks to encapsulate in "wu wei.") I also, although have yet to read it, would recommend the Zhuangzi as a series of examples.

Buddhism is a little more complicated due to the many branching sects and faiths. I'd start with reading the history and the various anecdotes foremost, as well as getting the basics down like the Four Noble Truths, Eightfold Path, etc. It started in direct opposition to Hinduism as a more liberalizing and egalitarian force, accepting men and women (initially-depends on the sect) and saying any one of any caste or people-perhaps even of any religion-could achieve a state of Nirvana-or Non-existence- in one lifetime as opposed to the many to reach the Brahmin caste of Hinduism. Understanding the history would probably give you the best insight into the different sects like Zen, Mahayana, etc.

Buddhism is interesting because the original teachings were quite agnostic and didn't mention a god or good and evil so much as how to limit suffering and reach a state of inner enlightenment and peace by removing all attachments and self-centeredness and to move beyond oneself.

Probably the most famous piece of Buddhist literature is Journey to the West, but that's dense as fuck and wouldn't really give you a clear picture if you didn't know what you are looking for. The Sutras and other older texts are either untranslated or like reading the bible dry so I'd avoid just jumping into the fire directly if you catch my drift. (We also talked about the history in the Philosophy Thread if you want to see us shitposting a lot.)

@Zephyrus

I should note that Avatar: The Last Airbender (The Good one) actually reflects some Confucian notions like Filial Piety, Mandate of Heaven, etc. in Zuko and Iroh whilst their relationship to their father/brother respectively shows the inverse of how Confucian believes a ruler should rule a nation and how people should treat their families. Food for thought.

Dex-chan lover
@PantsMan ? Sure, maximizing reach is the best option. Why bring it up? Didn't disagree with that in particular. By post I mean making the announcement the way they did, site-wide. I guess the way I wrote caused some confussion. Not a native english speaker.

Group Leader
From the bottom of my heart, thank you Mangadex for making clear NOT to insert personal politics into our scanlations.
I read manga so that I can laugh or cry or be horrified at anime hijinks. I see this as the best move Mangadex could have taken to stay true to the purpose of this site.

I just wish Mangadex fix their damn servers so that I can reread Kengan Asura without waiting 3 minutes for the whole chapter to load!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread