Concerning the US Protests and Our Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
@vobo You misunderstand. 30 years ago the ACLU defended the KKK, despite knowing how shitty they were. How hated they were. The ACLU had their own beefs like those organizations do with particular political stances and views. Today the ACLU refuses to help people who don't fall lock step with their viewpoints. While those other orgs have their own stances and views, they will help you even if your politics or belief is ideologically disagreeable.

You can take your pick: Choose an organization that only stands for people who adhere to orthodoxy. Or organizations that defend anyone, even those they disagree with.

@RCcola33
I'm not claiming there aren't biases, or that academia is perfect. There are, and it isn't. I'm questioning how you get from the affair to arguing that academia is relatively unproductive. If the grievance studies affair doesn't generalize, I don't see how you can generalize it to academia.

But my stance isn't that academia is productive and unbiased in general, only that it's more productive than any alternative I've seen. I'm mostly going off experience, and I doubt you want to read a few hundred pages of studies, so it'll be difficult to verify. Academic papers require less fact checking, provide better arguments, and present more comprehensive arguments compared to something like an online forum. Authors have to demonstrate that they've done research into other published papers on the topic. Statistical power, significance, and research design is discussed. Studies are conglomerated into meta-analyses. The average internet argument, by contrast, contains too many lies to count, don't seem to have accounted for any of the common counterarguments, and strip statistics of their context. Likewise for most IRL arguments. If you have a better alternative, I'm all ears.

You're right, bad argument. Let me amend my position: there are significant debates. For example, over gender symmetry in domestic violence. But that's a very specific topic. Diversity/racism is too broad for me to know what you mean, and I haven't seen anything in this thread that isn't addressed by academia in some form.

@Elilla I see the problem with the ACLU, and I like the other organizations you've suggested, but as far as I can tell, the ACLJ seems to overwhelmingly focus on right-wing Christian cases. It also funds criminalizing homosexuality in Uganda. It's difficult to demonstrate the impartiality of an organization, but do you have any cases that run counter to that? Or any evidence in general that the ACLJ will actually defend anyone?

Dex-chan lover
@Firefly Rioters have objectively killed more people than the police, including several black officers. 11 non-police have been killed and more than a few officers, some unarmed at the time, were shot in cold blood.
Do keep going on how the police are worse while rioters burn down people's livelihoods and loot constantly.

BlueLivesMatter
AllLivesMatter

Double-page supporter
Since nothing is done to groups endorsing domestic terrorists like BLM in their credits, I have to conclude that MD stands with them.

is a Reindeer
VIP
@cozfub If you read the announcement post at all, you'd know we do remove political content in the credits pages. The mods aren't all-seeing, report it if you see it.

Calling them a domestic terrorist group is over the top. Considering you support rapeman's credits pages and told us to get fucked, I'm not surprised.

Dex-chan lover
@cozfub Only ANTIFA has been recognized as a domestic terrorist group, not BLM. I'd watch where I get my facts if I were you.

Dex-chan lover
Even weebs trying to change the subject by focusing the discussion on ACLU and mods, rather than the actual topic.
No wonder there are riots.

Thanks to the riots, we will be in lockdown for a few extra months due to corona spreading.

not gonna read all this but I'm not american and I've gotten enough of seeing these protests - deleted nearly all my social media and escaped to manga, so even seeing this forum makes me sigh

Do the bail funds in the OP raise bail money only for non-violent protesters, or do they also pay for the vandals, thieves, and murderers doing the looting and rioting? If it's the latter, you're promoting a rather extreme position.

Dex-chan lover
or do they also pay for the vandals, thieves, and murderers doing the looting and rioting?
Don't worry, you're already doing that if you pay taxes.

is a Reindeer
VIP
@yuz79336 If it was for the latter, we'd obviously not use it as an example. People can be arrested and not actually convicted of a crime but still be required to pay bail, and they can be kept in jail until it's paid pending their actual trial to determine whether or not they were guilty of any crime. Tons of evidence lately of people being arrested for well, quite literally nothing. So it's a bit of an unfair situation.

@Plykiya I'd be interested to know where you found an assessment of the funds' eligibility criteria. I searched around myself and couldn't find much information on it. While non-violent protestors may have been arrested, there is also plenty of evidence of the violent offences that I mentioned. I'm sure donors wouldn't be too thrilled about funding bail for the looters who murdered David Dorn.

I salute this decision, as it maintains the focus of Mangadex on manga and manga related issues: it doesn't fall to the scanlators to promote one pov in detriment of the other using another person's work and different people (readers in this situation) have different tastes and values.

Racism and discrimination exist in multiple forms and degrees in all societies (yes, it's not an "one-directional thing"....), and that is all I'll say about the matter as I don't think it's the place to have a debate about my (and my countrymen's) values and society.

is a Reindeer
VIP
@yuz79336 Your bail amount is determined by a judge. If your arrest charge is for murder of some kind, the judge would most likely rule that you weren't trustworthy to be released, if you were released on bail you'd probably make a run for it, and thus, bail denied and you'll have to wait until the trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread