Dainana Maouji Zilbagias no Maou Keikokuki - Vol. 2 Ch. 5 - Dark Portal

Fed-Kun's army
I'm so glad that a dedicated scan group has picked up this fantastic series. This is definitely a series that I'll have to follow chapter by chapter. Thanks for the updates!

Dex-chan lover
Their peace is getting more and more fragile.

She has soft spot, but I wonder what would happen if she knew that his objective is to destroy the demon world, or he prove himself less talented than she demanded (near impossible considering what we've seen, but eh).

This is kinda lame and depressing when you think about it; the mc is just a lowly moralfag in its entirely with no nuance to speak of.
The story established him as an avenger but he doesn't act like one. His thought process is more in line with an npc side characters than a main character. He just went on and on about his moral crusade whenever possible while doing the most boring things ever.
Not cool, no charisma, no nuance, why does this story revolve around him in the first place? This suck.

Dex-chan lover
As a reader I am liking this series...but the tone so far is really weird to accept from a meta standpoint. Like, we establish that individual demons like the tutor and mom are quite nice and reasonable people, and that the demon kingdom was formed with best intentions...
waaaait hold up. I think it's a little much to say it was the best intentions. The first demon king betrayed all the friends he made on his journey so that he could forcibly unify the demons and then keep them unified through constant invasions, creating 'others' and enemies for them to fight against so they don't squabble amongst themselves. If he or they can't form a nation without doing so then neither deserve to have their own nation. He could have just taught them what he learned from the other nations. They could have just migrated or traveled as he did and find their place among other nations if they feel so compelled to fight each other. They could have just been individualists but the first demon king looked upon the other nations and wanted one for his own and he only thought to do it through sacrificing the other nations.

Thanks so much for the translation! The art is nice, and the premise is interesting. Super excited to follow more as it comes out especially after the break from the last released batch of chapters.

Dex-chan lover
While I would like to have the chance to tap that mother, I'd rather not be raised by her... anyways THANKS FOR THE CHAPTER!!!!
Nah, she is not that strict compared to how my mother threat me in the past. At least she still Pat her child and concerned about his safety, not worried about her property when her son got an accident.

Dex-chan lover
As a reader I am liking this series...but the tone so far is really weird to accept from a meta standpoint. Like, we establish that individual demons like the tutor and mom are quite nice and reasonable people, and that the demon kingdom was formed with best intentions...

And yet we know the converse of the human side where they're brutal expansionist invaders who wantonly murder and rape, all in the name of their evil god (who is named "Cannibal" of all things). On top of that, we know at least their royal society is pretty petty (i.e. only the strong call the shots).

I get that the author wants to set up a complex morality conflict with this story, but so far it's still fairly hard to stomach. I can't imagine being satisfied with the MC siding with secretly sabotaging the demons OR trying to reconcile with the human lands if it proves the demons have their own right to exist beyond their dark pact with Cannibal.
It is quite simple. Demons are relatively friendly to each other because they take out their murderous impulses on the humans. Like that was the whole point of their invasion of humans. Devils probably just reflects the personality of their masters. I wonder what other devils the mother has contracted.

Dex-chan lover
And yet we know the converse of the human side where they're brutal expansionist invaders who wantonly murder and rape, all in the name of their evil god (who is named "Cannibal" of all things). On top of that, we know at least their royal society is pretty petty (i.e. only the strong call the shots).
That's the goblins though. The demons are only interested in fighting in the battlefield.

Seems like they grew too fast and they are still grasping at things.
The actions of the first demon king can resemble the Meiji Emperor in some way. He saw the vast world and realized other races has superior culture. So he build his nation based on those concepts in hope his people too will step out of being barbarians.
Just like western clothing is promoted as "modern and cultured" in Japan, replacing kimono, the demons starts adopting fashion of human nobilities such as robes.
Japan tried to adopt democracy (which result in the Meiji constitution and a form of parliament), and also restructure their ruling class into something like European aristocracy (the Kazoku, with ranks comparable to Baron ~ Duke). The demons, who now has a nation with centralized power in place of group of tribes fighting each other, clumsily adopt human's peerage system to put order into their social structure. Although rather than hereditary, peerage ranks are based on merit (strength, magical power, and exploits in battlefield), so it's not so different from tribal community where those who are strong (such as the leading warrior or hunter who protect and feed the tribe) has higher standing.

As for Cannibal, author seems to give devils' the naming theme related to their concept. Cannibal is devil god of predation. Sophia (wisdom) is the devil of knowledge.

But yes, don't really like Alex' "must have revenge" mentality.
He got so much chance to start thinking of other solution such as finding way to coexist. It wouldn't be easy with how the races hates each other, but demons are long-lived. Yet it always got stopped with his irrational hate born from his childhood grudge and the years of battles, like he's just keep telling that to himself to not lost his old self. It's not that he seriously think about it and keep hitting a wall, more like he refuse to see there's another road opened in front of him.

Last edited:
Double-page supporter
I'm pretty sure that on the novel the scene of the flying with Platy petting him was described more touching and warm than this adaptation. Jil was surprised she treated him with motherly love now that they are alone, outside the castle.

Dex-chan lover
You know, I’m really curious as to what will happen when everything is all done. Like who will his mom side with, him or the demon king?
Very much doubt she will, I feel like from how he's started off he'll lead a revolution with all the opressed monsters and in the end he'll kill himself too to get rid of any demon descendants. Might find another friend who wants to overthrow the demons but not really confident in that happening

Dex-chan lover
Anyone who looks at the tags would know if they're going to be able to stomach it or not, I think.
You would think so, but it's seems not everyone can understand how a story can be a dark tragedy, where no one "wins" or the MC doesn't act rationality or how we think he should act! It's much harder to for us to empathise or identify with him! We prefer a more straightforward approach, good guys vs. bad guys! There's a reason why film noir isn't popular! Tbh it's much harder to tell this kind of stories

Dex-chan lover
It's much harder to for us to empathise or identify with him!
It just doesn't deliver the feeling all that well.

The story did better conveying the feeling when he did feel slight regret or sympathy when seeing the better side of the dark races who are personally close to him (although he always quickly handwave it away because "he must take revenge on the dark races" as if he avoids facing the fact in front of his eyes seriously.
But when the author try to convey his trauma and hatred, it kind of came out like "just take my words for it"; feels more empty.

Dex-chan lover
Somebody got it wrong. A cannibal is a devil, not their gods. Devils are just a species from another dimension, by making a pact with them you can increase magical powers. Dark gods are a religion of demons and have nothing to do with devils.
The demons only discovered the existence of the dark portal and the devils when they moved beyond the mountains and started a war against everyone.
By way, In the beginning, demons were at the level of strong vampires, but once the demon king allowed others to make deals with the devils too, their average strength increased greatly. After that, vampires were looked down upon.
Nevertheless, there are lords among the devils. And Cannibal is one of them, they are forbidden to make deals unlike regular devils. Ante will explain this in more detail in the following chapters.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Definitely with his son! It's a dog-eat-dog society! It's expected from him, and others heirs, to fight for power!
I did read few reviews of the novel, and it's described as a quite dark story, the power he receives is ,let's say interesting! The majority were positive reviews, but it's not a story for everyone! It really made want to read more!
Just started thinking, what if it’s found out that he was a human, I wonder what would happen then?

Dex-chan lover
Demon Mommy is the worst kind of helicopter parent, but at least she's concerned for his safety. Whether it's out of love for her son and/or her position is another thing.

We all know he's going to form a contract with an archdevil, who is no doubt the girl on the covers!
All the princes and princesses have formed a contract, and each represents one of the Seven Deadly Sins. Not hard to figure out which one the mc represents.
I’d say either wrath cause he’s an angry horned person. Or lust cause he’s an angry horny person.

Users who are viewing this thread