Damedol to Sekai ni Hitori Dake no Fan - Ch. 16 - Popochi

Dex-chan lover
"Gonna" retains some of the original word in it, so it's understandable instantly. Gyatt doesn't retain anything from the original goddamn. It's a squeal, a grunt. And if I was a Japanese boomer I'd probably have some issues with マ as well, but at least that's just マジ shortened even further. I don't really care about your usage of slang in the manga to be honest, I mind the word itself because it's nonsense.
As for the second point, you say you're translating it for an English-speaking users. Am I not part of that group? Do I not understand English? You said you spent last 14 years in Japan, so I can only assume you have contact with your native language through internet only. Don't you think that might've coloured your perception of the language in a way you'd consider internet lingo normal? Would you be easily understood if you said "gyatt" or "rizz" or whatever the fuck else slang you can come up with to an older coworker? If so, then I concede.
I'm just worried I'll soon be seeing shit like "poggers" or "kekw" in translations, since you could easily make a case for those, too.
I think we agree more than we disagree.
You see, to me, I still see enough of a similarity of "Gyatt" to "Goddamn" as I explained the etymology in another comment.
However, I also have a problem with words that have no etymological root such as "pog", "kek" and "dank" for example. There was another example back when I was in the UK where we would call chewing gum "chuddy" (retaining the inital "chu" phonetic) but I moved to another town and they called them "spoggy" ...Like...What the fuck is a "spoggy"? Where the hell did that word come from?

I'm not the "tiktok brainrot memelord" person have been accusing me of being. I'm very thorough and selective with the words and phrases I use. As I've said before, these two words suit him and his demographic in Japan, specifically; according to this, this and this The number of Tiktok users in Japan is roughly 17 million (as of August, 2021), 55% of users in Japan are male with 17% between the ages 10-19 and 22% between the ages 20-29 (sorry I couldn't find more specific age ranges). I'm guessing Kuzutani is either 19 or 20, maybe 21 if they're college freshmen. With 37.9% of users in the Kanto (Tokyo) area being students.
So as I've explained, in detail- Kuzutani's demographic and his personality absolutely fit with him using tiktok style language. The language I used was both accurate to the raw in both meaning and comedic impact. That, plus it's been shown the author is not averse to using memes (Siberian fox meme use as a recent example).
As I've said before, this is language I feel Kuzutani specifically would use. Don't expect me to use these kinds of words for other characters like Urumin or Kimiya for example, as it doesn't fit their personality. Kuzutani, though? Absolutely.
I'm sorry but I stand firm with my decision and I think everyone who has a problem with it is letting their feelings on the matter ("Ughh, tiktok") get in the way of what is, in my opinion, a perfectly appropriate translation.

Dex-chan lover
thats what GYAT and RIZZ does to readers apparently 😂. This manga is no literary masterpiece to begin with, i am unsure why people are so up in arms about it
People are letting their emotions ("Ewww, tiktok!") get in the way. Kuzutani is a cringey character (just last chapter he showed up all "gangsta" style saying "indahoussse") and he uses cringey language. People have a problem with the cringe and are blaming me.

Dex-chan lover
I've spent almost half my life in Japan, haven't set foot out of Japan since 2010 and am currently in the nationlization process.
But besides your self-righteous indignation...It's a translation. I replace one language with another. It's the entire fucking point you absolute moron. I didn't change the meaning of the words being spoken. If I changed on culturally relavent metaphor with their English equivalent would you still cry about this? Okay, got it, next time I come across 屁の河童 I'll just put "a Kappa fart" and leave you all to figure it out yourself instead of changing it to "piece of cake", just for you, you dumb fuck.
Lmao. NOW you get what I mean. Kappa fart. THAT is the kinda shit I want to know. The cultural shit. Japanese figure of speech. Isn't that interesting? Kappa fart. Why do they say that? What's the reason? It's the culturally specific thing that is why I read foreign works.

It's the same for English for me. Piece of cake. Why is a piece of cake being used to reference "something easy"? It's interesting learning this stuff about other people's culture. Then again, I repeat, people like you wouldn't understand.

You. Dumb. Fuck. What is the point of reading foreign eastern works if all you get is western? When I read old western cowboy novels I do not want any Japanese shit in them. I want old Western shit in em. Same shit here. I am reading a Japanese comic. A manga. Why the hell would I want western slang in it?

Anyway, I didn't force my views on translating works while respecting its inherent culture. I can't force people to respect other people after all. I was just complaining about the shit I do not like about this modern (yet outdated) translation philosophy. I didn't even use any personal attack in my first comment. I only started to use insults after being insulted myself (bet you didn't even notice that).

You (the previous guy) could've taken my use of "Western culture overlord" as an exaggerated expression of my dislike of this kind of translation method (that it is). But you (and the previous guy) decided to take it as some sort of personal attack and take offense to that.

Dex-chan lover
aww, i was hoping she was just "testing" him, but in the end she really is a bit of a cleptomaniac

Dex-chan lover
So we got an NTR arc? LOL
Okay so this is probably going to go one of three ways:

1. Exactly as it looks like - she wants Chadmiya for herself.
Predictable and exudes virgin heisei era energy

2. DRAMA - She just wants to spice things up, since idol drama is negative publicity and negative publicity is good publicity

3. GIGACHAD chessmaster shipping - She knows how he's going to react and will give it to Urumin to give it back to her, and Urumin will misunderstand
Truth.. my money's on 3.

Dex-chan lover
Lmao. NOW you get what I mean. Kappa fart. THAT is the kinda shit I want to know. The cultural shit. Japanese figure of speech. Isn't that interesting? Kappa fart. Why do they say that? What's the reason? It's the culturally specific thing that is why I read foreign works.
...Then go MTL it yourself. This is a translation, not transliteration. No translator would ever say "Kappa fart", as is, in English. What you are asking for is unreasonable by any metric, I may as well just convert all the words from Hiragana, Katakana and Kanji as they are into Romaji for you to get the full experience. The fact that you don't understand that is just....unbelievable, quite frankly. If this were a series about customs, traditions, etc. then absolutely- I agree. But this is a light, rom-com series about Otaku and Idols set in modern day. But whatever, you've made clear what (twisted) idea you think translation is supposed to be, so I have no more to say to you.

An ideal woman.
Also what does gyat and rizz eve mean. It's an american slang I presume, but I kid you not, not only americans read english translations. Crazy I know.

Edit: I read the thread from last week (just read the chapter), so I changed my reply. I learned the meanings of the words, and they are weird, but funny.

Last edited:
Group Leader
...Then go MTL it yourself. This is a translation, not transliteration. No translator would ever say "Kappa fart", as is, in English. What you are asking for is unreasonable by any metric, I may as well just convert all the words from Hiragana, Katakana and Kanji as they are into Romaji for you to get the full experience. The fact that you don't understand that is just....unbelievable, quite frankly. If this were a series about customs, traditions, etc. then absolutely- I agree. But this is a light, rom-com series about Otaku and Idols set in modern day. But whatever, you've made clear what (twisted) idea you think translation is supposed to be, so I have no more to say to you.
I really hope that, by now, tempers have died down enough for me to be able to comment without reigniting them.

First things first: Thank you for caring so much. That's more than I can say about some other “translators”. If there's one characteristic that shines through your words, it's that you care passionately about the quality of your work.

Now.
You, as the translator, are in a position to debate whether or not the usage of the slang in this case was warranted. I do not have an opinion on the matter.
Apart from that, you are also in a position to debate whether or not it was correct. I do not have an opinion on this matter either.
What you are not in a position to debate, however, is whether or not your readers understood what the intended meaning was. For that, you'll have to ask them directly—and, from what I saw, I'm far from alone in not figuring it out until I read the comments here.

With that in mind, I hereby ask a small favour of you: A brief TL note at the end, to explain what those words mean and why they were used. For example, the translator for “Zako⁴ sensei” is rather fond of those, and I for one am grateful for them. (The one for chapter 22 was one I particularly appreciated.)

This is, of course, assuming that you are not morally opposed to TL notes in the first place. Still, you may take or ignore this piece of advice at your discretion.

Dex-chan lover
Oh boy look what the dog dragged in today. A yandere. throw it back. Reverse NTR trap.

Dex-chan lover
I fricking adore Kuzutani. He's such a stupid but hilarious character.

I see, so Pochi is a menhera, I'm guessing? Annoying but let's see where this goes

Dex-chan lover
lmfao, I love the use of modern terminology. "Gyat" & "Rizz" fit so perfectly here

Dex-chan lover
Nooooo I don't want this series to have this kinda drama, it's always terrible.

Users who are viewing this thread