Damedol to Sekai ni Hitori Dake no Fan - Ch. 16 - Popochi

Dex-chan lover
More importantly, you need to understand that an uproar about slang, largely amongst user of the language for which it is a slang, means that you're doing it wrong.
An uproar by a handful of commenters out of how many readers? Do not make the mistake of thinking your personal experience is universal. A large majority of readers consider the translation to perfectly fine, especially considering it was done and published for free.

Dex-chan lover
Personally I don't like the use of those words because it feels out of place to me. MAYBE if the guy was a young internet-user, but that's not what he is. I feel like it's like a gyaru using "based", or something. I don't know, it's not a huge deal, and people seem to get overly aggressive about it.

Dex-chan lover
An uproar by a handful of commenters out of how many readers?
Dunno.
Do not make the mistake of thinking your personal experience is universal.
I'm not.
A large majority of readers consider the translation to perfectly fine
You are guessing wildly.
especially considering it was done and published for free.
Y'know, arguing that it didn't have to be very good because it is free would be perfectly sensible. But arguing that it is very good because it's free is dumb.

I quietly endure a lot of free, not-very-good translations. I first commented on this translation not to make the point that it misuses slang, but to make the point that its misuse of slang was because, contrary to what some folk guessed, it was not by an American. Then the translator objected to me that his use of slang were perfectly appropriate, so here we are.

Dex-chan lover
What with the comments.. We are not always english speaking users so can you guys who speak only english just debate over your grammar somewhere else.. The author finally cooking something interesting and you guys fight? If you didn't like the English translation just purchase and read the RAW..

Dex-chan lover
What with the comments.. We are not always english speaking users so can you guys who speak only english just debate over your grammar somewhere else.. The author finally cooking something interesting and you guys fight? If you didn't like the English translation just purchase and read the RAW..
If you don't like the English-language discussion, then just read the scanlation and stay out of the forum.

(We're not arguing about grammar.)

Dex-chan lover
And your explanation is wrong, because you've confused two subcultures, as multiple people have tried to tell you.

You do your job poorly.

The fucking point has been repeatedly made: Slang of this sort wouldn't be used by Anglophones who engage in activities of these sorts nor in the closest Western equivalents. You might as well have them using Edwardian slang or cowboy slang.

And I'll complement that invitation with a suggestion that you not read comments criticizing your inept use of slang. Doing so would seem rather hypocritical.
I'll just copy what I pasted to other people, with a couple of edits, regarding the use of those two words and what the raws were;

For the word "Gyat":

The raw was "デッ!!" ("De!!!") Short for でかい ("Dekai") meaning "Huge!" But in a more exasperated exclamatory way (ie; the English "WOAH!"). I thought it fit him as a character to say it and it gets the same impression from when reading the raws, too.

I've had people say "well just use "huge" or "woah" then?" to which I say, saying "huge" sounds weird af, that's not a natural reaction. Saying "woah" would fit, sure- but I wanted a word that more fit with "surprise at the voluptuous size of something", so we have "Gyat". I know it's most often used to refer to the size of a woman's ass, because we're culturally in an "ass is king" period for sexual attraction, but from my research into the word and it's usage it can be used to refer to either ass of boobs. So it still fits.

For the word "rizz":

The raw was "モテ期"

モテ comes from モテモテ meaning "to be popular with the opposite sex (or of the same sex, if they're LGBT)"

and 期 comes from 期間 meaning basically "time", "period", "season" etc.

So a literal translation would have been "Are you having a period in which you're popular with the girls right now?" ....but fuck that when we have the useful "Rizz" word nowadays which means essentially the same thing.

So the problem being put to me is my use (or perceived mis-use by some) of English slang. I've explained in detail what the raws said and why I chose those particular words as they seem to fit perfectly for me.
For what it's worth, my purpose in commenting was to object to poor plotting, but then I found Yank-bashing in response to your use of shitpie slang, so I stepped-in because you rather clearly weren't a Yank. The fact that it was obvious that you weren't a Yank should be a strong hint to you that you've botched the use of the slang.
Yank-bashing? You don't mean me, right? Because I never did that. I have, however, seen people bashing the slang itself, on top of people bashing my use of those words (again, see above for my reasoning. But also, feel free to offer alternatives if you have such a problem with it?

Dex-chan lover
I'll just copy what I pasted to other people, with a couple of edits, regarding the use of those two words and what the raws were;

For the word "Gyat":

The raw was "デッ!!" ("De!!!") Short for でかい ("Dekai") meaning "Huge!" But in a more exasperated exclamatory way (ie; the English "WOAH!"). I thought it fit him as a character to say it and it gets the same impression from when reading the raws, too.

I've had people say "well just use "huge" or "woah" then?" to which I say, saying "huge" sounds weird af, that's not a natural reaction. Saying "woah" would fit, sure- but I wanted a word that more fit with "surprise at the voluptuous size of something", so we have "Gyat". I know it's most often used to refer to the size of a woman's ass, because we're culturally in an "ass is king" period for sexual attraction, but from my research into the word and it's usage it can be used to refer to either ass of boobs. So it still fits.

For the word "rizz":

The raw was "モテ期"

モテ comes from モテモテ meaning "to be popular with the opposite sex (or of the same sex, if they're LGBT)"

and 期 comes from 期間 meaning basically "time", "period", "season" etc.

So a literal translation would have been "Are you having a period in which you're popular with the girls right now?" ....but fuck that when we have the useful "Rizz" word nowadays which means essentially the same thing.

So the problem being put to me is my use (or perceived mis-use by some) of English slang. I've explained in detail what the raws said and why I chose those particular words as they seem to fit perfectly for me.
I've already written:
you've confused two subcultures
and
Slang of this sort wouldn't be used by Anglophones who engage in activities of these sorts nor in the closest Western equivalents. You might as well have them using Edwardian slang or cowboy slang.
You are using a slang from the wrong subculture. Were it an appropriate subculture for the purpose, then your choice of those terms would have been fine.

A possible argument that the slang of the appropriate subculture doesn't convey quite the sense that you sought so you reached for the slang of a different subculture would be like an argument that you couldn't find the right word in English, so you took one from German.
Yank-bashing? You don't mean me, right?
No, I didn't mean you. I engaged a different commentator about the issue, and then you engaged me about my rejection in that comment of the slang that you'd used.

Dex-chan lover
You obviously don't know me well- I've had a lot of criticism and welcome it with each post I make (albeit on the reddit post) I just don't suffer morons that don't know what the hell they're talking about getting on their high horse and oozing self-righteousness.
I don't know man, mass replying to a handful of negative comments like that really doesn't scream "confidence" to me.
On topic however, my initial post was about not knowing what "gyatt" and "rizz" mean. It's because I am an ESL and I don't engage in anglosphere's social media in any way - I do, however, know English well enough to communicate clearly and fairly articulately.
Part of the point is that if you know Japanese and see デッ!, you instinctively know it's just a shortened version of the full word. "Gyatt" is just gibberish to anyone who doesn't live in primarily English speaking country and engages with the youth culture, same with "rizz", which I personally haven't seen before reading this chapter (although it's apparently word of the year, whatever the fuck that entails).
You can translate slang into slang, and I personally do it often as well, but these two don't seem like words to me, they're more like fads. In a year or two no one will know what the hell they mean.

Dex-chan lover
these two don't seem like words to me, they're more like fads. In a year or two no one will know what the hell they mean.
No, that's not correct. They've been around and will be around for a while. The problem is in an assumption that one can speak and write of them as part of
the youth culture
They are part of a youth culture, but of a youth culture that doesn't really get out much, a bunch of online poseurs.

Supporter
As a 40-something effective washed-up old fogey with no hope or future, and having 40-something effective elderly washed up with no hope or future friends, rizz is a part of the current culture such that it's even reached our rotting, decrepit ears and entered our vocabulary, so I don't object to the usage in this sense. Was a little out of place? Maybe. Enough to spend hours writing multiple diatribes? Maybe some folks need better hobbies.

Grandpa has spoken.

Dex-chan lover
In his post, though, "ya'll" could be replaced with "yeah you all" and the sentence would still be correct. but also, I'm having a hard time believing you're ~44 years old and calling online strangers boomers to rile them up on an internet forum in your spare time
Nobody uses it that way, it's a mistake, no need to cope. As for posting on the internet, people with my experience don't take it very seriously.

Dex-chan lover
Nobody uses it that way, it's a mistake, no need to cope. As for posting on the internet, people with my experience don't take it very seriously.
Yea i don't think anyone uses it that way, but im just saying, your point didn't make sense because if we were assuming the definition was correct, then his usage was correct. But my main point was you didn't need to lie about being 44, it's pretty clear that you're not lol. You don't need to lie about your age to have credibility/prove a point

Dex-chan lover
Yea i don't think anyone uses it that way, but im just saying, your point didn't make sense because if we were assuming the definition was correct, then his usage was correct. But my main point was you didn't need to lie about being 44, it's pretty clear that you're not lol. You don't need to lie about your age to have credibility/prove a point
No, it's grammatically more correct to write y'all, because that's where the contraction happens. Why do you believe I'm lying about my age and that he is being truthful? fr fr, y'all wack.

Dex-chan lover
No, it's grammatically more correct to write y'all, because that's where the contraction happens. Why do you believe I'm lying about my age and that he is being truthful? fr fr, y'all wack.
Yes, i agree it's grammatically more correct to write y'all, but your point was that his usage of "ya'll" according to the page he linked was incorrect when it was actually fine. It's pretty obvious he's an experienced and professional translator, him being 34 is pretty reasonable

You're saying you're 44 and using zoomer lingo in all of your posts and also trying to rile people up on an online manga forum in your spare time. You're either 44 and never developed mentally past the age of like 20 and have too much spare time, or you're a young dude that thought lying about your age was a good way to counter argue the translator, its just very obvious. Just the whole way you conduct conversations is very telling that you're not above the age of 30. It's extremely weird to lie about your age on the internet just to make a point on a manga discussion board

Users who are viewing this thread