Damedol to Sekai ni Hitori Dake no Fan - Ch. 16 - Popochi

Dex-chan lover
Yes, i agree it's grammatically more correct to write y'all, but your point was that his usage of "ya'll" according to the page he linked was incorrect when it was actually fine. It's pretty obvious he's an experienced and professional translator, him being 34 is pretty reasonable

You're saying you're 44 and using zoomer lingo in all of your posts and also trying to rile people up on an online manga forum in your spare time. You're either 44 and never developed mentally past the age of like 20 and have too much spare time, or you're a young dude that thought lying about your age was a good way to counter argue the translator, its just very obvious. Just the whole way you conduct conversations is very telling that you're not above the age of 30. It's extremely weird to lie about your age on the internet just to make a point on a manga discussion board
But he's 34, used zoomer lingo, got butthurt about criticism and argued with people on an online manga forum, all while using his age to justify it. So, why can't I? I can tell you are still young and don't realize that people can have fun online reading and chatting about manga and teasing people even in their 40s, look forward to it, it's great.

Dex-chan lover
But he's 34, used zoomer lingo, got butthurt about criticism and argued with people on an online manga forum, all while using his age to justify it. So, why can't I? I can tell you are still young and don't realize that people can have fun online reading and chatting about manga and teasing people even in their 40s, look forward to it, it's great.
he wasnt using zoomer lingo in his regular speech unlike you lol. Why can't you use your age to justify yourself? cause you're obviously not 40, lol. I'm actually 50, that's how I can tell

Dex-chan lover
he wasnt using zoomer lingo in his regular speech unlike you lol. Why can't you use your age to justify yourself? cause you're obviously not 40, lol. I'm actually 50, that's how I can tell
Well, thanks for the compliment, makes me feel younger. You might want to work on recognizing facetiousness.

Dex-chan lover
If you don't like the English-language discussion, then just read the scanlation and stay out of the forum.

(We're not arguing about grammar.)
I'm not replying to your comment.. Why did you suddenly attack me? This forum is for this series and it's lore not for language debate.. Even tough sometimes it's wrong we already know what that's really mean so you did not have to be mad about it.. If you have any problem with the scanlation just leave one comment and that's it.. If you didn't agree just settle the rest privately with the scanlation group on discord or something.. If you can't just respect other opinion just shut up.. If you want to argue about language just go to the language forum or something not there..

Dex-chan lover
I'm not replying to your comment..
The issue isn't whether you're replying to my comment in particular or even to comments of a sort in which mine is included.
Why did you suddenly attack me?
Because your comment was unreasonable.
This forum is for this series and it's lore not for language debate..
This forum is for comments on the associate scanlation. That is why, if the same instalment receives a different scanlation, it will have a separate forum, rather than each instalment having only one forum. The forum for the series more generally has a link in the title entry. People arguing here about language are more specifically arguing over whether the scanlation itself has got the language wrong.

Now, as I said, it is hypocritical of you to bitch about reading people bitch about what they're reading.

Dex-chan lover
An ideal woman.
Also what does gyat and rizz even mean. It's an american slang I presume, but I kid you not, not only americans read english translations. Crazy I know.
Rizz comes from the middle of the word "charisma" and was popularized by the twitch streamer Kai Cenat, along with the actor Tom Holland. It is Meriam Webster's word of the year, meaning something like "the power to attract other people, or actions that make you attractive to others." I'm very loosely quoting America's national public radio, which also made it seem like the word was popular all over the english speaking world. Finally, idek what the hell gyatt means, I don't have enough "hello fellow kids" energy to figure it out.

Dex-chan lover
I don't know man, mass replying to a handful of negative comments like that really doesn't scream "confidence" to me.
I just don't suffer stupidity. If I actually make a mistake, (spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, etc.) I own up to it straight away. The problem is I don't think I made a mistake- I've explained my reasoning, in detail and still have people saying "Uh, NO. Slang bad." (essentially) and I'm defending my decision.
Part of the point is that if you know Japanese and see デッ!, you instinctively know it's just a shortened version of the full word. "Gyatt" is just gibberish to anyone who doesn't live in primarily English speaking country and engages with the youth culture
"Gyatt" is the shortened version of "Goddamn". Do you take issue with the word "gonna" (or further, "gon'" being used in place of "going to"? Because that's exactly how your argument sounds to me. Japanese have dozens, hundreds even, of example of full words shortened down to just two or three syllables by primarily the youth cultuer (I instantly remember a discussion about the use of "マ?" among the youth as opposed to the more formal "本当に?") The same applies here with "gyatt", he's a young guy, shown to be flamboyant and uses casual, somewhat meme-y language before and in this case he used a single syllable from a longer word to express surprise/arousal(?). As to the doesn't make sense to those who don't live in primarily English-speaking countries.... well, I'm translating it into English for an English-speaking demographic, that kinda isn't my problem?
these two don't seem like words to me, they're more like fads. In a year or two no one will know what the hell they mean.
I think you're letting your personal opinions on neologisms get in the way. It doesn't matter how you personally feel about a word in colloquial use, the fact of the matter is that it's in use by the same demographic that Kuzutani is in (if he were English-speaker) so I use the words and manner of speaking that he would use if he were an English speaker, as close to the essence of the words being used in the raws.

I don't mind having the conversation about the use of slang, dialects, etc. in translations but I don't like having people making assumptions about me nor saying they wish bad things upon me for using slang that they personally disagree with.
Very often, I've given my detailed reasoning as to why I used those two words and asked "Well, how would you have translated it any better to get the same meaning and comedic impact across?" and they just go silent, I have yet to receive an actual answer which only proves to me that I'm right, in my mind at least.

Dex-chan lover
Finally, idek what the hell gyatt means, I don't have enough "hello fellow kids" energy to figure it out.
"Gyatt" has a very similar origin to "rizz"- Basically the first part of someone shouting "GODDAMN!" in a state of exasperated surprise/arousal. Most often used in context of "Goddamn, look at that ass!" with the "d" slowly turning into it's phonetical cousin "t"
Goddamn → Gyaddamn → Gyattamn → Gyatt (first syllable only)

Dex-chan lover
Finally, idek what the hell gyatt means, I don't have enough "hello fellow kids" energy to figure it out.

"Gyatt" has a very similar origin to "rizz"- Basically the first part of someone shouting "GODDAMN!" in a state of exasperated surprise/arousal. Most often used in context of "Goddamn, look at that ass!" with the "d" slowly turning into it's phonetical cousin "t"
Goddamn → Gyaddamn → Gyattamn → Gyatt (first syllable only)
:meguupog: Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh

Dex-chan lover
Cooooollllll let me just use Japanese meme-y words that "western culture overlords" wouldn't understand without a 3-paragraph explanation on the etymology for each word.
OORRRRRRR I could just use their English equivalent and save everyone that hassle?
Seriously, get a fucking clue and leave your holier-than-thou self-righteousness at the door.
Get your cultural colonizing ass out the door. You think I'd read this shit if it was western? If I want western culture I'll read a western comic. I'm here because of Japanese, Chinese, and Korean culture shit. What's the point of reading foreign shit if the foreign stuff got erased and replaced by western shit?

If I read an Indonesian novel, I do not fucking want a western slang written in it. I want an Indonesian slang. Indonesian culture.

I guess the concept of experiencing a
Foreign culture is a foreign concept for people like you. Forgive me for being ahead of myself.

Dex-chan lover
"Gyatt" is the shortened version of "Goddamn". Do you take issue with the word "gonna" (or further, "gon'" being used in place of "going to"? Because that's exactly how your argument sounds to me. Japanese have dozens, hundreds even, of example of full words shortened down to just two or three syllables by primarily the youth cultuer (I instantly remember a discussion about the use of "マ?" among the youth as opposed to the more formal "本当に?") The same applies here with "gyatt", he's a young guy, shown to be flamboyant and uses casual, somewhat meme-y language before and in this case he used a single syllable from a longer word to express surprise/arousal(?). As to the doesn't make sense to those who don't live in primarily English-speaking countries.... well, I'm translating it into English for an English-speaking demographic, that kinda isn't my problem?
"Gonna" retains some of the original word in it, so it's understandable instantly. Gyatt doesn't retain anything from the original goddamn. It's a squeal, a grunt. And if I was a Japanese boomer I'd probably have some issues with マ as well, but at least that's just マジ shortened even further. I don't really care about your usage of slang in the manga to be honest, I mind the word itself because it's nonsense.
As for the second point, you say you're translating it for an English-speaking users. Am I not part of that group? Do I not understand English? You said you spent last 14 years in Japan, so I can only assume you have contact with your native language through internet only. Don't you think that might've coloured your perception of the language in a way you'd consider internet lingo normal? Would you be easily understood if you said "gyatt" or "rizz" or whatever the fuck else slang you can come up with to an older coworker? If so, then I concede.
I'm just worried I'll soon be seeing shit like "poggers" or "kekw" in translations, since you could easily make a case for those, too.

Dex-chan lover
This chapter has inadequate number of comments, doesn't it?

Dex-chan lover
This chapter has inadequate number of comments, doesn't it?
thats what GYAT and RIZZ does to readers apparently 😂. This manga is no literary masterpiece to begin with, i am unsure why people are so up in arms about it

Dex-chan lover
Get your cultural colonizing ass out the door. You think I'd read this shit if it was western? If I want western culture I'll read a western comic. I'm here because of Japanese, Chinese, and Korean culture shit. What's the point of reading foreign shit if the foreign stuff got erased and replaced by western shit?

If I read an Indonesian novel, I do not fucking want a western slang written in it. I want an Indonesian slang. Indonesian culture.

I guess the concept of experiencing a
Foreign culture is a foreign concept for people like you. Forgive me for being ahead of myself.
I've spent almost half my life in Japan, haven't set foot out of Japan since 2010 and am currently in the nationlization process.
But besides your self-righteous indignation...It's a translation. I replace one language with another. It's the entire fucking point you absolute moron. I didn't change the meaning of the words being spoken. If I changed on culturally relavent metaphor with their English equivalent would you still cry about this? Okay, got it, next time I come across 屁の河童 I'll just put "a Kappa fart" and leave you all to figure it out yourself instead of changing it to "piece of cake", just for you, you dumb fuck.

Users who are viewing this thread