DDoS Update: Good News, Everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep up the good work and thank you for keeping us updated with the situation

Group Leader
@Grumpyfelo @SinScholar MD has plans to make an app. However, while it's seen as important, the website itself has more important matters at hand right now, the app will see the day SoonTM.
For now as someone already pointed out, you can use Tachiyomi (make sure to add MangaDex as a source, it's not listed by default, at least it wasn't a few months ago).

Thanks MD team for working so hard on this issue, hopefully I’ll be able to read my manga in peace soon!

Contributor
Looks like it is slowly clearing up, as the images do seem to be loading faster.

@Zephyrus Just what will be the costs involved for upgrading the service, if you are able to tell us?

Group Leader
Since people are talking about mobile apps here, is there an API for Mangadex? I assume apps like Tachiyomi scrub the HTML, but I wonder if there's an API that could be used for apps like there is on e.g. Dynasty (wrote a reader for that site once).

Magadex was the reason I got banned in kissmanga's chat and I regret nothing. If I recall correctly this was my post: mangadex.org is ad free.

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
@Hounder
It's my understanding that we'll be purchasing the business level plan, which is $200/month. Thanks to supporters we have enough cushion to last a while (@Holo will have exact numbers) but we are still not entirely sure what route we're going to go in terms of funding.

And as a general update, we can't purchase the Cloudflare plan for at least 3 more days because CF's payment system is down for maintenance. The solution would already be implemented but it's not on us this time!

I have been thinking about donating but every time I click on the support page I see the " incentives (coming soon)" part and hold off.
Is this in the pipe? or should I not worry about missing out on anything too fantastic

Was this a DDoS attack or just way too many people using the site at once?

@gormadoc It was both appearently. OP mentioned that the site is pretty close to breaching the limits of cloudflare's bandwidth on it's free plan. And that a DDoS that happened on the first day merely aggravated the problem.

Anyway, are there any current plans on revenge DDoS on the assholes that attacked the website? If not, I'll look for tutorials on how to do it myself.

@BloodySorcerer
the thing you do is you submit the IP of the DDoS sources to the ISP's to mitigate the problem for the site and also have them disable the possible botnet behind it. There is no "revenge" that one self can act out if there is no clear perpetrator/s ALSO it would be adding a crime onto a crime.

Contributor
@Zephyrus Should be doable, just a matter of how long the $200 level plan will be sufficient (assuming it is traffic based).

Also, as noted by another, might not be a bad idea to try some of those incentives that are planned out. Suggestion there may be to allow the donators the ability to choose from (or create their own) titles for under their avatar, as you see in some forum sites. Sometimes the little things are nice.

Yeah. Most DDoS attacks still use networks of subverted computers and encrypt communications with the bot herders. Attacking any of the IP addresses you can readily see would just punish the people who have already had their computers hacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread